Protect bathroom tiles from grime

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Athenagdlyt • Oct 28, 2014.

1. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Grime and mildew make bathroom tiles look old and unkempt. This can be avoided by using car wax on the wall tiles. First, the tiles need to be thoroughly cleaned to remove any mildew and grime. Thoroughly dry the tiles and apply a layer of car wax or clear floor wax to the surface. Buff with a dry Fabric. Use this only for the walls not on the floor. That would be very dangerous to the bathroom user. This protection can last several months to a year depending on hos heavy the bathroom is being used.

What other ways can you recommend to protect your bathroom tiles from mildew?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks! This is a great tip. It caused me to do some more research on the subject myself and I was happy to finally find out why people encourage squeegee use after a shower. (I had always thought it was just to avoid water mark stains). Since most grout is composed of sand, it absorbs water very easily and this is why we get mildew. For this reason, it is very important to dry the shower thoroughly after each use, even using a towel or a squeegee to make sure to get rid of the moisture. You should also re-seal it on a regular basis but this was something new to me: it takes 5 days for the water to evaporate, so it is best not to use the shower during that time! I have never waited that long for my shower to dry, and so it might account for the fact that my mildew returns rather quickly. Next time I am going on vacation, I am going to make sure and begin the cleaning and drying process so that I can come home and re-seal my grout. Who would have known tiles would be so much work! No wonder people started going for the pre-build shower stalls in the 1990's. These too have had their share of problems though. I guess having a house is just a lot of up keep.

3. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    This is a great tip. Thank you. :) I am just wondering if it is truly safe because I tend to put my weight on the walls when I get dressed. I guess that if I am careful enough, nothing bad will happen to me. To protect our tiles, we just make sure to clean them regularly.