Protection Against The Sun

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by H.C. Heartland • Aug 17, 2016.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    What do you use to protect your skin when working outdoors? Some people find long sleeves and a hat to be enough but when it is hot I find these options stifling. As I've aged however, I'm noticing an increasing amount of skin spots. Recently, I have read that some oils like coconut and vitamin E oil can be applied topically and protect your skin. This surprised me because I always thought one should avoid applying oils in case of burning. I am assuming it should be mixed with a lotion meant to help protect the skin. What do you use?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, don't use oils on the face as you will fry! Always use sunblock and reapply. There are no natural sunscreens except to keep out of the sun. Vitamin E is a moisturizer and Vitamin C is the one that helps fight pigmentation (sun spots) so use a moisturizer with Vitamin C in to help reduce those.

I am a trained beauty therapist, so believe me sun damage will occur if you don't use proper protection.

3. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks so much! I really appreciate having advice from a trained professional. I took on seasonal work this summer for extra money and I'm working outside a lot. It has been really hot and I haven't been sure what the best way to protect my skin was. The internet has a lot of information but if you're not trained, it is hard to sift through all of it and know what is really helpful. Thanks again.

4. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    I spent most of my life in a very hot, tropical climate where the sun actually appears white and burns you within 10 minutes if you are not careful. The idea is to not work outside during the hottest time of the day, which is between 11 am and 3 pm. You should wear long sleeves and trousers and a broad-rimmed hat. Mind you, your clothes don't need to feel restrictive, you simply choose light, natural fabrics that can "breathe". Also, it's a very good idea to use a natural, chemical-free sun protection (you can find it in your local health food store or on iherb.com) with an SPF 50, or at least SPF 30 factor. Use it on your skin that is exposed, such as your face, neck, hands, and the top of your feet.
    But the idea is to not completely avoid sun exposure. Later in the day, after 5pm, when the sun is more mellow, it's a good time to go for a walk in the sun and feel those warm rays on your bare skin for at least half an hour per day.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would recommend sunblock not sunscreen, as block is more concentrated (waterproof) at least SPF35 (which most are) and to top up after a couple of hours. Don't forget the neck, and the hands as people forget about those and and the ears (or wear a hat) as they get burnt and that hurts.

I personally like Neutrogena as it's affordable and reliable.

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I noticed that my uncle who is a farmer doesn't seem to use protection for the sun, they only wear long-sleeved shirts when they go to the farm. I also don't use one since I don't feel the need to, even when I was going out everyday, but I think I will just settle for clothing protection and shades if the weather gets too hot to handle.