Pruning and upcycling

Discussion in Home & Garden started by maddie • Feb 25, 2013.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    When you prune your trees/bushes.. do you take interesting looking parts of branches and create them into artifacts or objects of art?
    I usually like to cut chop sandpaper and varnish interesting bits of wood.. This could make a great garden decoration or become nice addition on your mantelpiece.
    AAAAC7L3YugAAAAAACLnYw.
    Birch-Branches_MED.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't done it yet, but I'm planning to because I've seen a lot of cool things on Pinterest that you can do with branches. Once you spray paint branches, they look pretty artistic. It wouldn't be expensive to do either because most people have some paint sitting around and the branches are free.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh Boy, I have a backyard full of fallen branches. We still need to clean up the yard so I guess I will be out looking for branches that I can turn into some art. My family already think I am weird. I collect interesting rocks to put in my planters to give them interest. Now I will have to get some branches to put in my planters.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ooh, I just saw this painted branch look. If you have craft paint, you could do little stripes on the branches like this.:

[​IMG]

Or you could do a glittered holiday look like this for winter.:

[​IMG]

5. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have enough trees and shrubs to collect branches from at this time. My aunt used to have a painted branch arrangement in a tall vase a few decades ago. It was very attractive and I always wanted to do something like it for myself.

6. jennifer.f

jennifer.fNew Member

Threads:
    It does seem really good I am working on it now a day soon I posted some pictures of work :)

7. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    I would love to, but it seems not easy to make works of art from branches.

8. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    It is one of the easiest things to do.. You cut and trim off those portion you do not want.. paint it with a wash of acrylic paint or varnish or some metallic paints..
    You could also stick dried flowers to the branches or sea shells or whatever catches your imagination ( even roll it in a tray of sand ) to give it texture and give one more coat of paint.. you are ready to go.

9. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I found some rather neat knotted branches used as a clothes peg..
    Screen+shot+2011-09-13+at+8.34.04+AM.

Simple rustic but great ideas.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The funny thing is ,I saw something just like this in a high end catalog and they were asking an insane amount of money for it. So not only is this project useful and cool looking, it's also frugal and rustic chic. This is a pretty cool idea, thanks for sharing.

11. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Actually it could look like a piece of art if the pieces are carefully chosen and polished and finished. My friend has a clothes peg of animals and birds and people are willing to pay a good price for such artistic stuff.

12. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    That is so cute! I absolutely love it! I would have no place I could use it, but I may make one for my mom; she could use it to hang gardening stuff from outside. For that matter she could use it inside the storage shed area as well. Really cute!

13. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Chanell, it could also make a nice pot hanger too. Imagine containers of real flowers on your walls.. could work well if you have a balcony or porch that gets a lot of light .. ity could also save you some space for more plants.

14. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I don't have either, Maddie. I think it would look best in a cabin or a little country cottage. In the city I'd probably use something like that in a garden shed. Have you see the wall organizers made from an old rake?

15. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say that it looks nice on my friends very urban garden wall .. single knots of wood used as pot hangers with petunias hanging from them..
    Yeas I have seen those rake turned into garden tool organizers. Quite a nice idea for a garden.

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Maddie, you know have me thinking about "twig art," lol! I don't have any shrubs and the only tree is a Japanese magnolia in back. Actually, there's a cedar out front (how could I forget that?), but I don't mess with either because I get tired of battling with my family. I have thought of trimming the cedar and making stuff from the cuttings since cedar is so desirable. Back to the twig art - Here are some cute ideas I saw:

twig+wall+art.

97d60ee7f2ddf8a347520a22f1b6f19c.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Those are pretty cool pieces of twig art. I especially like the second one because it has kind of an Eastern vibe.
    Thanks for sharing. You always find the most interesting stuff.

18. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I love the second one too :) Back in those days when I was at the university ( I got a very small stipend to keep me alive LOL) I used to walk from the college/hospital to my hostel.. I found a nicely dried and bleached (with the sun) bramble on the path which I brought it to my room. I took apart a piece of fashion jewelry that I used to wear made of golden leaves and stuck it on those branches.. Since then everyone went about collecting dead wood.. it was so funny. LOL

19. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    That is funny, lol! It's nice to inspire that kind of creativity, though if you'd made a few more you could have made extra money selling them. Then again, there's nothing stopping you from doing something like that now. Maybe you could start a new business from it!

20. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    LOL :) At the university there was so much to do.. than go about collecting dead wood.. :) Yeah I am sure if I could get a few of those naturally treated branches I could come up with some fancy stuff that would be really buyable.. People do walk into my home and ask for something to be created the way I have crafted some thing that took my fancy.. I used to make hand made candles which were quite popular.. but then I got bored of it.. I still make some for special occasions.
    Take a look at this piece of drift wood art

7604606056_9ffa4a74fa_z.

#20Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013