Puma Athletic Shoes

Discussion in Product Reviews started by Diane Lane • Oct 18, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I swore off Nike shoes after the Michael Vick debacle, even though they were the ones I found most stylish and comfortable. I looked around and found PUMA, which I also loved, and have been wearing for years now. I recently decided to replace my walking shoes, so I bought a pair of Pumas online, and I have to say I'm very disappointed. Not only are they very uncomfortable, but they're not the quality I was used to in the past. The shoes just aren't as well made as they used to be. I might have been able to look past that and give them a shot, but since they're so uncomfortable, I'm going to have to return them.

2. Halber

HalberNew Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the review on the Puma brand! I usually buy cheap shoes with my number one priority being comfort, so I know I'll avoid these now.
    I'm going to try getting some better shoes sometime soon. Maybe some DC or Vans. Have you heard any good reviews for those brands?

3. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I don't have a lot of money, so don't keep up with brands. I've heard good things about Vans, but don't have any specifics. I've never heard of DC. I ended up returning the ones that I got and ordered some Rocket dogs. I've had good luck with those in the past, and stumbled upon a good deal. If they work out, I'll buy a back up pair and alternate the two, so it'll be a while before I have to replace them.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I have thought about buying Puma running shoes but always found them too expensive. They don't look as well made as I remember them to be. Thanks for the heads up, I won't waste my money buying a pair. I like the casual look of the running shoe but if they aren't comfortable forget it. I'm a teacher and spend all day on my feet. I look for comfortable shoes with a bit of style. My son wears DC shoes. They are popular with the teenage crowd as well as with skateboarders. I bought him a pair at Winners which is a discount designer store. They have held up well and would recommend them.

5. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I'll have to check into DC, thanks. I've ordered the Rocket Dogs and should have them soon, and also am watching some nice ones from Fila that are a good deal. I love the pretty ones, but they definitely have to be comfortable. I can see why you'd care about comfort too, being on your feet all day. I only have to walk a little and my feet are swollen, so comfort is a major factor for me, as well. I guess maybe Puma has changed how or where their shoes are made, because they're definitely different than I remember.

6. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never tried the Puma shoe brand. I haven't bought sneakers for ages. I am wearing a pair of worn out Nike's that were very expensive when I bought them. I have another pair that I got at Walmart a few years ago, and I can only find one of them! I am sure it is somewhere in the closet...God knows where. I used to like Reebok shoes back in the day. They last forever.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Very interesting, @Diane Lane@Diane Lane! I don't know much about sports wear, but I've always known Puma to be a fairly decent brand. But I recently bought this pair of cute Puma trainers which I wear for my jogging/walking. Let me tell you this, they are VERY uncomfortable are rub something chronic! To the point where they took off two of my toe nails clean off.!!! I just couldn't believe it, but it happened. Luckily, they've now grown back. I never had anything like that happen before.

8. Diane Lane

Threads:
    @Ke Gordon@Ke Gordon Nike was always my favorite, but I just can't stomach them after the Michael Vick situation. They support him, so I can't support them.

@Lushlala@Lushlala I swear, I'm so disappointed in the company. The stitching by the top eyelet was coming undone, and they had some sort of bumps built into the interior bottoms where the inside part of my foot rested, and I have no earthly idea what the heck that was supposed to be, or who designed it, but I don't know of anyone who would have found them comfortable. I think perhaps they were designed to enhance performance, but I couldn't wear them across the room. That's horrible that yours rubbed your nails off, how crazy! I thought I would be safe ordering them online because I'd been wearing the brand for years, and had a similar style, but obviously I was wrong. Hopefully the Rocket Dogs will work for me, and I would still like to buy the Filas when I get the money. Those have a slightly more built up bottom that would provide more cushioning for when I'm on the gravel walkways on some of the trails here.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:

Yes, the nails rubbing off was quite scary as I'd never had something like that happen! To start with, the two toe nails were extremely sore, then went black and fell off! It's a good thing nails always grow back, but I was shocked, freaked out as well as grossed out LOL Now I'm a little nervous to wear them again, and it's a shame because they are a pretty pair.

All the best with your Rocket Dogs. Do give me some feedback once you've tried them out :)

10. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't find that they are as expensive as Nikes, but I don't think there is good either. I have had a couple pairs, one especially for working out and another one to wear for anything. I was not a fan and don't plan on repurchasing another Puma pair. I would go for Nike or Adidas.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't bought a pair of Puma brand shoes in quite a while, at least a decade or so. But from what I recall, the quality of them varied quite a bit. It was almost as if they sold cheaper and higher end versions of their shoes or something. There were cheaper pairs in the $25 range, and there were nicer pairs in the $50+ dollar range too.

For what it's worth, I've been very please with both K-Swiss and good old Adidas shoes over the past 10 years. I've been wearing their plain "walking shoes" styles and they've held up very well - in fact I have a pair of Adidas right now that I'm still wearing which are three years old. I try to avoid any versions of their shoes though which are aimed at specific sports/exercises, such as "cross training" or anything that fits too snug, and has all kinds of weird arches inside the shoes - since those tend to make my feet more sore than anything. But their basic walking shoes with a flat sole are generally comfortable and roomy inside.

12. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I like Puma shoes. Theyre quite stylish and they definitely look good. However, I've found that their shoes dont give me enough ankle support. For that reason, I usually go with Nike or Under Armour. As far as looks go though, I might put them at the top.

13. ZRadach

ZRadachMember

Threads:
    Puma's have a fairly flat sole oft times, I understand.

I'm a distance runner so it is important for me to AVOID shoes with lots of cushion. Why is that? It trains an unnatural stride and can lead to injury long-term.

That being said, I'm all about Puma's as long as they are flat-soled.

Cushion teaches one to heel-strike which is a setup for injury.

Thankd for reading! :)

14. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like Puma doesn't make great athletic shoes. They are definitely stylish but like you said aren't always too comfortable. I'd recommend trying Asics. I'm loyal to them. I think they make a great and comfortable athletic shoe. I also used to work in a shoe store so I know they are one of the best brands out there. Reebok and Brooks are also good athletic shoes. I only use Nikes for casual purposes so I wouldn't know what its like to work out in them.

15. Pabmart

PabmartMember

Threads:
    Puma sneakers are really nice, but I would go with Asics or Under Armour. Either way they are all cheaper alternatives to Adidas and Nike, and they have done the job well for me in the past.