Purchasing More Than One Of The Same Garment?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Rosyrain • Feb 26, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    There have been a few times in which I have purchased more than one article of the same piece of clothing, whether it was a shirt or pair of pants that I really liked. I wanted to make sure that I had a backup if one of them were to fall apart or get worn out. Have any of you ever done this before? What was the item?

2. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    I'm guilty of this. It's even more likely to happen when the items are cheap. Sometimes, there's just that shirt that fits your body perfectly and you want to wear everyday of the week. I think having clothes that make you feel comfortable and looking your best are a good investment.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have done this with cheap garments -sometimes (admittedly not often) you can find some real gems in the discount stores so it can be worth buying another of the same if it's something you really like. This only really works with basics for me though.

4. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I only do that if I really really like the item. Otherwise, I would prefer to have more variety in my closet. I notice that I tend to do that with more basic pieces such as a plain black dress or a plain top because then again, even if they are the same style, you can do hundreds of different options to accessorize it to make it look different. This way, even when I only have one style, I'm not worried that my outfits will look rather redundant.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope, I haven't done that yet, but I have done that with other stuff like earphones just to see how each brand differs from another, or buying a different style and size of handbag. As for clothes, I won't buy the exact same item, but I will buy the exact same item in a different color. The same goes with shoes, but only if it's cheap.

6. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I have done this on several occasions and usually when an item is on sale. There have been so many times, I find a specific item that fits and I love but when I return at a later date to purchase new, they don't sell them anymore. I absolutely hate that, so I buy extras whenever possible.

7. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I have done this a couple of times. It's good to have a backup in case the other get worn out. I get the same piece of article with a different color especially if I feel very comfortable with it and if it suits me well. As far as possible, I try to be careful not to wear any of them out. If I wear the other this week, I'll definitely going to wear the other the following week.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do this ALL the time, and actually thought it was just me lol! I'm so glad to hear other people do it. If I really like something; I like to have two, maybe even three of them. Sometimes I'll get it in different colours. like most people, I like it so much I want to have back up.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do this when items are on special or on sale, especially basics like black tops or leggings as they are items I know I will wear all the time. It makes it easier when one gets worn out or is in the laundry and I do it for shoes as well if I find a pair i really like, I buy a couple of the same. I hate it when my favorite shoes wear out so having a spare pair always makes me feel better.

10. bombshell

bombshellMember

Threads:
    If something fits great and looks really good on me I tend to get more than one, but in different colors. I don't necessarily see the need to have multiple pieces of the exact same article of clothing. My boyfriend on the other hand is very particular about clothes and shoes and often buys shoes two pair at a time. I think it's funny, but I totally understand because we recently went on a hike that completely ruined his favorite pair of sneakers.

11. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    I did this recently and consider it an investment. In L.A. there is little need for a heavy coat since it's above 70, 300 days out of the year. Anyway, last year was the time to get a new coat/heavy jacket.

At Nordstrom Rack, a Betsy Johnson Adirondack with faux fur lining was regular price $300 but on sale for $75. I bought one in each color and will be set for at least five years. The most days I wore one consecutively was five days when I visited Texas over the holidays. Spring is almost here and I haven't worn either more than 10 times.

12. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    The only time I've ever done that is if I found a type of fitted tee that I really like. Since I wear tees on the daily for work, so I have to have lots of them. I might also do that if I find a pair a jeans that fits me REALLY well, since it's almost impossible to find jeans that fit me really nicely. But I'd try and get it in different washes or colors though.

13. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, first it would depend on the price of the item. Also, I would probably buy one first and then when I receive it see how it fits. If it fits well and feels comfortable that would be the deciding factor to go back and order more. I have done this when it comes to pants that I have bought along the way. I will order more then one pair if I find the fit is good and the pants look good. I would usually purchase these in different colors though to accentuate my wardrobe. Very seldom will I buy the pants in the same color.

14. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    No, it's not something that I've ever thought about. I'd rather just buy a version of something else if need be rather than hang on to a certain look. I can see the appeal, particularly if it's a cheap item. But I like the idea of variety.

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only do this if I like the garment's design but I try to buy different colors of the same design for variety's sake. That way, it would not look like I'm wearing the same garment all the time. Also, I could wear the clothes successively while improvising. People won't ever notice it's basically the same design.

16. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    Just for my pants. I usually wear the same type or pants, like exactly the same so I usually buy more than one. But for shirts or sweaters I usually just purchase one.

17. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have done that many times, though I usually choose to get the same item in different colors.
    One time I tried on a sweater I really liked and ended up buying it in brown and in blue. I had never really thought about the dye that goes into clothing until that time. The brown one was a pleasure to wear, but the blue one was a nightmare. Every time I put the blue one on it turned my back red as a cherry and itched like crazy. One time I was out in it and had to make a dash home and was trying to get out of that sweater as I was driving down the road.
    That was about the third (and last) time I tried to wear it.

18. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I have never done this, although for those really quality items, its a great idea. The main thing that would hold me back would be, being able to afford duplicates. I usually have to save up to get those coveted items in the first place. Then, with needs staring me in the face, the money would most likely go to them.

19. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Occasionally, when I see some clothing of high quality that I really like, I will buy two pieces. Like recently, when I came across a wonderful pair of cotton trousers in a local store. I really liked the style, the superior quality, and the price so much, that I bought a second pair in a different color.
    It also often happens with T-shirts and pyjamas.

20. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    If they're a great bargain and if they only have certain colors available, I do. I get more wear out of the item if I have more than one to choose from, since if I really love something, I tend to wear it over and over again. I like to stock up on stretch camis of different colors, and I don't generally mind having the same colors since I wear them underneath other things.