Purchasing Paper Checks

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Diane Lane • Jul 2, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know I can't be the only person on the planet who still uses paper checks. I have to admit, I've transitioned to other payment methods for the vast majority of my transactions, but I still need paper checks to pay my rent. I had quite a few leftover from the last time I purchased them, so thought I wouldn't need to order them for quite a while, but my landlady is very disorganized, and keeps losing the checks I send, so I often end up sending two per month. I've just written my last one, and need to order more, so I looked around and found this article reviewing the best sites to order checks from.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely use paper checks but I keep them in my purse for ocassions I might need them. I have written them from time to time, as some places do not accept credit cards as a form of payment. My bank gives me free checks orders them for me, as well, so that is not a problem. Honestly, I am not sure how check producers stay in business these days, as so many people are using alternate payment methods.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use them for a couple of things (our water department hasn't caught up to this century yet, etc.), but I only use them when I have to. At my bank, you can get a sheet of checks for $1.00, but if you don't use them very often (not asking for them all the time), they'll often just give a sheet or two free of charge.

They used to just have those temp checks or "counter checks," but now they are "real" ones, with all your info and they look like the ones you order. I've had zero issues with them being accepted anywhere (unlike with the older style).

So, I don't order checks any more. I just pick up a sheet or two every now and again. I just make sure I go get more before I use my last one, so I always have some on me if the need arises.

You might want to check if your bank offers something similar before ordering.

4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely use paper checks anymore because it is a hassle trying to keep track of them and making sure they get deposited. I have had a few issues with checks not clearing for a long time and then I had forgotten about them. I prefer to pay things online or get a money order. The only time I really use checks now is for when I pay fees to my kids schools.

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's true. I hate it when someone holds onto a check and doesn't deposit it for a long time. It's a pain keeping track of it, and watching and waiting for it to clear, so you don't forget about it. We end up paying one bill with a check sometimes, and they take forever. I think they only make a deposit once per month or something, so you're left waiting. It's annoying.

I don't usually do money orders, because they cost more. I'd rather save the money, even if it's only like 75 cents. I don't like paying (any) extra just to pay a bill, ha ha.

6. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely use paper checks. I would use them for my children's school functions that they had to pay for or for lunches. I still have a ton of them too which now that I am moving will not be any good for me. I do all my bill paying online or through auto pay so I do not need to have them.

7. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I acually haven't used a paper check for anything in well over a year, maybe longer. I can pay all of my bills with the online banking, and I use my debit card for most everything else.
    I do still have checks, so if there is a reason to have to write one, then I can do it; but I no longer carry the checkbook around with me like I did in years past.
    As far as buying the checks, I now have a senior checking account that gives me plain, basic checks for free; so if I ever do run out of these, then I can just order more from the bank.
    I used to use those little flyers that come in the mail each week and advertise cheap checks in a huge variety of colors and styles; but since I can get them free with the checking account, it doesn't make much sense to pay for checks just to have nice pictures on them.

8. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJMember

Threads:
    I keep a few paper checks around, mostly to pay a few select bills and to include in cards that I mail out in lieu of cash. Paper checks can be purchased cheaply enough now that having them on hand in case I want to send money to a charity as a no-mess, no-fuss, no-worry about getting my credit card number stolen method.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The checks turned out to be pretty expensive, but that was because of the shipping charge. Hopefully they will arrive before my rent is due again. I should have enough to last at least a year, if not two years, depending on how frequently my landlord loses them in the future. I'll definitely look into getting them from my bank in the future. I used to get a counter check now and then, but haven't in quite a while, so I'm not sure if they still do that the same way, or have sheets of them the way yours does @Zyni@Zyni, but that sounds like a good way to do it, because a few sheets would have lasted me a long time, since I only write the one check per month.

10. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    First, I'd be rather annoyed by the fact that the landlord loses the check all the time. What's to say she doesn't suddenly find one of the ones she lost, and in the confusion cash that one too? I don't know how anyone can be that disorganized, but I bet it ends up costing her money in the long term (not to mention costing you more by making it necessary for you to order more checks, plus pay expensive shipping charges).

People who are that badly disorganized often buy duplicates of items they already have because they can't find things. They end up with more stuff than they could ever need and less money that way. Hopefully, she'll get it together and save you both some aggravation in the future.

Yeah, I was happy to find this option at my bank. Worth looking into.