Purchasing Power Bank- Is It Worthy?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by naruto100 • Feb 26, 2017.

1. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    I have seen people saying two different things. One is saying power bank is quite Handy as normally these days we ran out of our smart phone battery soon. So in such time and during travelling it can be really helpful. Other people are saying that it is just an extra gadget and it is difficult to carry it with us all the time. They mean who will carry it with them all the time.

Now you say and tell is it really worthy or not.

2. Flaming_Dorito

Flaming_DoritoNew Member

Threads:
    It is not extremely expensive and it the average size power bank can easily fit in your pocket, it is a very good solution for battery running out on camping trips and such when you don't have commercial power supply.

A great trick if you have a phone with a removable battery is to buy an extra battery, when the battery of your phone runs out, simply switch the battery.

The phone battery will be much cheaper than a power bank and much smaller too. Although, it may be a bit of a hassle to keep both batteries charged.

Some people even keep 3 batteries.

If you do not have a removable battery, a power bank is your best bet. You do not have to take it literally everywhere with you, but its great to take along with you when you wont have a charging port for extended periods of time.
    Its definitely worth it and everybody needs extra power at some point in their life :)

~Hoped this helped.

3. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    I owned a power bank a few years ago when I'm always outside working since I'll be needing my phone for the entire day and I can't ran out of battery that's why I decided to buy myself a power bank. But then the power bank that I've bought isn't that good. It drains too quick and can't even make my phone full. I agree with @Flaming_Dorito@Flaming_Dorito, if you worry about running out of juice while outdoors, you can buy yourself a spare battery and keep both batteries charged before going it. It's much cheaper and handy :)

4. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I am actually looking to buying a power bank soon, I have been reluctant because I gathered some in the market are not quite reliable . If I can get a trusted power bank for my phone and ipad I wouldn't mind the cost I will go for it. I have suffered low battery and could not be reached for hours because there was no where to charge my phone.

5. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Flaming_Dorito@Flaming_Dorito Well, in my pockets I already used to keep many things like mobile, card holder, wallet and few more. So keeping another thing like power bank will be hard for me. But yes it can be handy.

I like your idea about keeping extra batteries with us as they are quite small in size too. And it is easy to , I mean just plug the new battery and your phone is filled with full juice. But there is catch in it, because I found most of new phones with non removable batteries only. Even my current phone is having non removable battery. Otherwise it is better than power bank for sure.

#5Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    @Jasmin Cottontail@Jasmin Cottontail My situation is something similar to this. I have a power bank which drains up pretty quick too and charges up my cell real slow. So practically it is a waste to carry it along and keep charging it.

I carry the conventional charger with me and where I know I won't be having a power supply, is when I carry the bank.

#6Mar 1, 2017
  7. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I think a power-bank is quite handy as the power back up of smartphones tends to drain off too fast. There are too many power hungry apps that kill the life of smartphone battery within no time. I have seen people carrying an extra battery with them to use in case of emergency. I think that is also a good option but with a power bank we can charge different types smartphones or other mobile models.

I need a power-bank to keep my 4G WiFi dongle alive so that I can place it somewhere with the maximum coverage. But I am really confused over various options available in the market. At present I am using a long USB cable to reach the coverage area.

By the way is there a solar powered power-bank available online?

8. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @luckycharm@luckycharm Yes these days we are having apps and games which drain phone's batter like hell. That is why yes we need one source to come out for this problem. And yes if power bank is compact in size then it can be really handy.

About Solar power bank, yes they are available online. I guess I have seen them on ebay. But I am not sure how they works as I have never tried them. I wonder if they really works as they should do. It would be great if any experience person share the experience of the same.

#8Mar 2, 2017
  9. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    @Decentlady@Decentlady In my case, I think it depends on the brand of the powerbank or how much MAH capacity does it have. If you want to make your phone full charged using a powerbank, make sure to buy a powerbank that has higher MAH capacity than your phone's battery. For instance, my phone's battery capacity is 3200mah so therefore, I need to have a powerbank of at least 7500mah to give my phone 2 full charge.

If there's an outlet or power source to a place where you're going then not bringing a powerbank will do you fine since you will be able to charge while outside :)

#9Mar 2, 2017
  10. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @naruto100@naruto100 Yes it also depends on MAH and the quality of the product . I mean some power banks available with high MAH but they are not with that good quality so they ends up early , not even complete that much MAH. But yes better to go with HIGH MAH power banks as even if they provide less we can charge our phone for more times.

I am thinking to purchase MI 20000 MAH power bank. It seems to having good review so far. It is providing at least 17000 MAH after full charge. So I can charge my phone many times during travelling. And also it is light weighted in compare to others. So let;s see.

#10Mar 3, 2017
  11. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    With the present models of power-hungry smart phones, the power bank (or portable charger) is the next best thing to the phones. It used to be very inconvenient when the battery would dip low and your only option is to plug your phone to the nearest outlet. But what if you cannot do that? With the power bank, you can charge your phone anywhere you are and later on you plug the power bank to charge but your phone is free for your use with its portability. And power banks are not that expensive so I’d say it is a good investment especially if you use your phone a lot.

12. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Alexandoy@Alexandoy That's true, this is not that expensive gadget so better we should keep it. Yes it can be really helpful in time where you have no option to charge your phone. But sometime to keep one extra gadget with you is bit difficult. I mean we already used to have many things with us in our pocket like wallet, smart phone, cards, and many more. So in this case carrying extra gadget with you is not that easy.

#12Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  13. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Power bank in any way is very useful and also an extra battery pack. However both of them when stored or carried for several hours, they natural get drain. They self discharge their energy when they are not used for a day or so. And to their stability of power and its strength is too dependent on the quality or brand of the power bank and the battery pack you want to buy.

I may not in position to recommend any brand for I haven't been yet using those gadgets. I am very sorry.

14. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Nakitakona@Nakitakona That's good information. Thank for sharing. Even I have heard that normally they do get discharge automatically if we are not using them. I wonder how they get discharge without nay usage. I mean if I do recharge my phone fully and switch it off normally it doesn't drain battery that much even after many days. Then why power bank. Its true that is why we used to go for power bank with good brand and quality. So that we can avoid such problems.

#14Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  15. Jessika

JessikaActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the type of Powerbank. I bought one which charges through USB, and then charges your phone, and that was not very good. It discharged quickly, did not hold a charge once charged and meant I ended up buying a second battery as some people suggested above. I'd never suggest buying that.

Then I was given, as a gift, a powerbank that allows you the charge devices from AA batteries. I've been using that for everything from phones to MP3 Players to a Kindle. It is very easy to keep batteries in it, and when they run out they are easily replaced or recharged. I'd recommend this type of powerbank to anyone.

16. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @Jessika@Jessika You mean when they get discharged we just need to replace those AA batteries !!! I have never seen anything like that so far. If such kind of power banks available then its really good as we just need to keep extra batteries so that it can work out if one goes discharge.

How many time you can charge your smart phone using one time?

#16Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2017
  17. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I have been wanting to buy a power bank for a long time now. But I have been avoiding it since I don't really need it. I think if you are mostly outdoors and use your phone too much then only you will need a power bank. I spend most of my time in my office and keep a charger with me, if needed. Secondly, I don't use my phone too much. I have to recharge my phone only once and it lasts me the whole day. In fact the only time when my battery drains is when my son plays games on it or when I read books using kindle. That is on my way home.

18. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    @anupamas2@anupamas2 Well, I recently purchased power bank for me. For me yes I do travel lot. But what I think is it is worthy for anyone. It is true that you can use charger at your office but sometimes you will go for travelling too. You can use the power bank at that time. For me, I sometimes use power bank at my home too when power supply is not available or I am using my phone for some purpose. So in such case power bank is handy.

#18Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2017
  19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I generally do not use a power bank because I carry my charger and keep my phone charged as much as I can. I do not use my phone for listening to music or watching movies but mostly for voice and check my mails and replying the important ones which does not need frequent recharge. But yes, I have seen more people are carrying power banks these days which certainly is an additional help for them.

20. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    I have several of them for when I forget to charge, long flights, travel etc. Any type that provides one full recharge for the device will work fine. Until you buy from some dodgy knock-off shop they aren't going to be faulty. The only different is a cheap one will work for a smaller number of charging cycles so you may need to replace it sooner. You can even get chargers that are solar or wind powered so you can power you small devices for free.