Pushy sales people

Discussion in Misc & Others started by artifactsofmars • Jul 9, 2012.

1. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    I'm definitely put off by such "service" especially at stores selling electronics or smaller boutiques selling clothing. I appreciate the fact that they acknowledge my presence in their establishment and am glad that they are on hand to assist me should I need help, but that is all I need. If I need help, I will get them and there is no need for them to be following me throughout the shop as if I was a potential shoplifter. I would prefer if they just let me know I can get them if I require assistance and then allow me to shop with some privacy. Some sales assistants would walk off once you say this, but there are those who just insist on tagging along. When this happens, I usually just walk out of the shop because I cannot stand having a pair of eyes behind me all the time.

2. Magic Pixel

Magic PixelMember

Threads:
    It bothers me too but only at the start. I mean, they're trying to earn a living. But maybe not spooking the customer is also a good way to get sales. But still it feels a bit claustrophobic.

3. koko

kokoBanned

Threads:
    I understand this because I was in retail as well as "convenience stores" and we were told to greet every customer and the reason behind it was "the thief doesn't want to be acknowledge and is more likely to "shop" where s/he isn't acknowledge." If you acknowledge them then they know they were seen and could possibly be identified. With that however, we were also taught to not hover unless the customer was "suscpious" because it made the paying customers uneasy and untrusted. And now when I go to a store if there is someone hovering I feel untrusted and will leave.

4. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    I don't mind sales people coming up to me when I go in the store. If I know what I am buying I will ask them what isle the product is in. It is handy if they know what isle and you are in a hurry. I would be bothered if they are trying to upsell me. Other than that I don't mind them approaching me. It is their job.

5. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    I hate it when salespeople follow me around when I'm looking for something. Every store has this - hardwares, drugstores, clothing stores, beauty supply stores. Some even have a rude look on their faces. Like hello, if I can't afford what you're selling around here, I won't even bother stepping inside your store. Also, I hate it when I'm trying on dresses and the salesperson keeps on adding clothes that I should try on. Annoying.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was younger and worked at Blockbuster, we were required to greet people as soon as they came in and we were expected to keep asking them if they needed help.

I got yelled at once because 3 customers walked in without being greeted while I was shelving some videos. Anyway when a salesperson is kind of clingy, I figure they have a boss breathing down their neck ,telling them to keep after the customers, so I'm sympathetic to their plight and try to be polite to them.

7. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Amen to that, I am the same way, just let me look for what I want instead of you following me around in the store. I will let you know when I need your help. Especially when you are at a car lot, I hate for one of those people to keep bugging me about this car or that car and try to get you caught up in something that you may not even want. Please let me look first, and if I see something I want to ask you about, then I will talk to you about it.

8. freemind_76

freemind_76Member

Threads:

When I was looking around for baby clothes, the moment I made a step forward, two sales ladies came up to me. They were alternately offering me this and that. And kept asking what I was looking for. This question really irritates me. I mean, if the question keeps popping up every 3 seconds. One question is sufficient.

There was also one time when the moment I stepped inside the store, five employees came to me. I couldn't concentrate on what I was looking for because each of them kept asking what item I needed. They never even gave me a moment of silence and let me shop in peace. The end result was that I went out of the store empty-handed. I was so irritated that I told them if they keep scaring their customers like that, they will go bankrupt.

9. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, I don't mind if they ask if I need help. But I appreciate when they politley leave me alone when I say I am 'just looking.'

10. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I know they seem to ride your coat tail as soon as you step in the store. If you give the customers a chance to browse they will let you know if they need your help. I just hate when they won't leave you alone. Everybody is not there to steal and I really would appreciate it if they would just walk away until I ask for there help or else I will leave there store without purchasing anything at all and they will lose a lot of business like that and go belly up.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I ever find a store where the employees don't care if you buy anything or not, I'll be a patron for life, lol. I know it's their job, but I can't stand it. If I need help I PROMISE I'll come looking for you, but for the most part, I know what I like, i know what I'm there for and you won't talk me into anything else. I like being left alone when I shop. Don't interrupt the mission people! lol..

12. notafish

notafishNew Member

Threads:
    I can mention one from the top of my head. Gamestop.Once you purchase a game, they try to sell you other things like a card which gives you discounts and what not. They will shower you with their crappy offers that no one wants. I just want to buy the game that I came there for! They are the only store I have ever visited that takes you 5 minutes to check out when YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE!

13. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I hate this too, but most of the time they are forced to go up to people because some horrible boss is pushing them to do it. I know that they're pushed to get people to sign up for credit cards too or they can lose their jobs. That's just the glamourous lifestyle of working retail.

14. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I wish they didn't have such a glam job because it is irritating and it annoys me to the very end. That is one of the reason I don't go shopping and the reason I will stay away from stores unless it is important for me to be there. The managers don't know but they are running there customers away by having there little sales clerk running up in your face.

15. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    This is usually what happens to me every time I go shopping. What I usually do is I just ignore them to the point where they'll feel like they don't exist to me. That usually sends them off although whenever I need help with something I call them.

16. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    The first thing I want to say to those pushy sales people is go away please, I will let you know if I need help I am sure I can find you under my dress tail and I won't have to look far to find you. So please give me some space, I don't like being crowed out in a store. You surely will lose my business.

17. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    I tend to just ignore them if I do not need any help. If they come and ask me if I need anything I just mutter, "Nah, I'm fine. Just browsing." They tend to wander off once I do that. I think they realise that I am not going to talk to them so they do not waste any time with me. I tend to dress very badly so I look like I have no money to spend anyway. I suspect that this helps discourage them from talking to me in the first place.

18. mbarrett

mbarrettNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, it can be a little annoying when one is trying to keep to themselves and just shop quietly. To be fair, they're just trying to interest you into buying their product. I guess they're just trying to help you so they can make money. If they truly are that persistent, just ignore them or tell them,"No thanks." firmly. That should tell them to leave you be. Just try not to be overly rude, haha.

19. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    One of the main reasons that i don't buy retail aside from a few key items. I want a product, i go to a website, i order my item. There, couldn't be easier and i can just ignore the ads surrounding the website.

20. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    It can get really irritating, for sure. I've even had one try to follow along on my shopping, suggesting things and gabbering incessantly when I really just wanted to spend 10 minutes shopping in peace. It made me want to head for the nearest exit, honestly.