Putting on weight?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Methrend • Aug 27, 2012.

1. Ryder13

Ryder13Active Member

Threads:
    I wish my metabolism was still fast. And I don't want to sound patronizing but you are at 20 still young. To say the least I way a good bit more than when I was 20. I think actually I weighed in at about the same as you roughly.
    Right now I want to speed up the metabolism to burn off some of those extras.
    But it is still to your credit to be lean,I hear these days a lot of younger people are carrying extra weight.
    Ryder13
    Ryder13

2. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Your metabolism will lower as you age but not significantly. The most important factor in your metabolism is what your metabolism runs on - sugar or fat. People who are fat-adapted will burn fat all day, they don't need a supply of sugar for energy.

3. Adam

AdamNew Member

Threads:
    Calculate you're maintenance calories (a quick google search will bring you to the right site). Start by eating 500 calories over whatever your limit is and follow a good beginner's weight training program. Record your weight over 2 weeks, this method should hopefully have you gain at least 1 pound a week, and if not keep upping the calories until it does.

4. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    Like the above posts, I say to add protein and carbs into your diet more. I also suggest lifting weights. This will add muscle mass to your frame. As long as your doctor gives you a clean bill of health, that is. Did they check your thyroid? If you have hyperthyroidism that could cause you not to gain weight.

5. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The calorie in versus calorie out hypothesis has been debunked. Weight loss is all about hormones, namely the fat storing hormone insulin, rather than calories.

You would really struggle to gain weight if you ate exclusively meat and natural fats as your insulin levels would be low.

6. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I guess you just have a high metabolism. I guess you just need to eat a lot of stuff with carbs, like pasta and sugary cereal. Just keep in mind that you should keep your body healthy with regular exercise.

7. Adam

AdamNew Member

Threads:
    Do you mind showing me a source for the "debunk"? I am interested in this because the common belief that I have read was always the other way around, being that insulin levels are irrelevant as far as gaining weight goes.

8. Kwizkey

KwizkeyNew Member

Threads:
    You need to gradually but significantly add more calories to your diet, with more emphasis on protein. Don't just eat junk thinking the calories will help you get bigger, they will make you fat! Eat more eggs, meat and drink more milk. I have at least 3 raw eggs in a protein shake a day to make sure I get enough protein but more importantly than that is increasing your caloric intake. If you already lift, lift heavy. That combined with a larger diet will put mass on you.

9. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had

I had the same problem growing up I always was very skinny I hated it I would eat and eat but never gain any weight! People use to tell me how I lucky I was all the time but I didn't feel that way. I started gaining weight than I lost it and now I gained a lot more weight so now i'm trying to lose it. I wanted to gain weight and now I want to lose it lol. So if you are wanting to gain weight just be careful on how you do it if not you will end up like me. Gaining too much weight!

10. chrischu5

chrischu5New Member

Threads:
    Eating carbs and protein-packed foods are probably your best bet for gaining some weight. I put on weight really easily but it takes forever to lose it. I usually put on a lot of weight when I eat a bunch of carbs. I also regularly eat chicken and fish.

11. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Eat LOTS, it doesn't matter what it is really at your weight just EAT anything you can find. Do some weight exercises as well to build up some muscle as well and you should be set.

12. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There have been many books written on the subject. We know different calories have different metabolic effects, this is not up for debate.

Insulin levels are irrelevant? Are you making this up? That is the most stupid comment I've ever seen on weight loss. Insulin is the fat storing hormone. Why do you think diabetics are fat? Because of insulin.

13. Adam

AdamNew Member

Threads:
    Using fat diabetics as an example for insulin storing fat is a horrible argument. In a calorie deficit lipolysis will always exceed lipogenesis regardless of macronutrient intake. Insulin "spikes", notice the word SPIKES means there is a constant rise and fall all day. Its the results at the end of the day that matter the most.

14. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not a horrible argument, it's an example of what happens when you eat too many carbohydrates and insulin is elevated too much. We know macronutrients have different metabolic effects on the body and we know insulin is the fat storing hormone. If you are 2000 calories of table sugar every day the consequences for your body composition would not be favorable, even in a deficit.

15. Swag_Like_Nick

Swag_Like_NickNew Member

Threads:
    Have meals with the right balance of proteins, carbohydrates, and the right kinds of fat (such as unsaturated and monounsaturated fats, olive oil, canola oil, pistachios, almonds and walnuts). Heinemann suggests the following ratio: 60%-70% carbohydrates, 10%-15% protein, and a small amount of fat.
    Eat foods higher in calories, vitamins, and minerals, as opposed to higher in fat or sugar.
    Pack more nutritious calories in each serving. For example, you may add grated cooked eggs to mashed potatoes, ground chicken to soups and gravies, cheese in casseroles, eggs, and soups, and nonfat dried milk in soups, shakes, milk, and mashed potatoes.
    If you get too full too fast, try having more high-calorie foods or slices of foods as opposed to consuming the whole thing (raisins versus grapes, granola and Grape Nuts versus corn flakes, mango slices versus the whole mango).
    Limit drinking beverages to a half-hour before and after a meal.
    Drink mixed juices (apple/berry, peach/orange/banana as opposed to one juice beverages) for a higher calorie intake.
    Try a small amount of alcohol (4 ounces of wine, 6 ounces of beer, or a half-ounce of liquor with juice) before a meal, as it could stimulate appetite. Moore warns, however, that this recommendation must be cleared with your doctor, especially if you are on any medication. Too much alcohol can be detrimental to health, and could lessen your resolve for eating healthy.
    With moderation, you may add in good fat sources to meals such as nuts, avocado, olives, and fatty fish (salmon and mackerel).
    Snack in between meals. Nuts, dried fruits, and yogurt are good options, but it's also important to find nutritious foods that you will enjoy.
    Have a nutritious snack before bedtime, such as a peanut butter sandwich.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Eat sweets, pasta, and oily food! Try to eat even at night, before going to sleep. That's just what I usually do, and I gain weight effortlessly!

17. PSLoveCharli

PSLoveCharliActive Member

Threads:
    You probably have that battle with high metabolism. Super high metabolism at that. I have not figured out any tips on putting on weight except for eating and not exercising (until you get to the weight you want), then work out to tone/gain muscle. I doubt it helps, but it's a try that I'm sure you've tried before.