Putting the coins away

Discussion in Savings & Investments Plans started by Peninha • Apr 6, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This isn't much of a saving, but at the end of the month it can mean some money you haven't spent and that it's sitting there waiting for some need. I'm talking about arriving home and putting the coins you have in your pockets in a jar for example. Anyone doing it?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tried that last month. After shopping, I'd put all the change in a jar. I didn't want to spend any of it but I got myself drawn to spending the money in the jar. Either way, it did help because when I took all that money out of the jar, I found it added up to a decent amount of money - $15. Not much but it's better than having $0 because you gave away all your change to a beggar on the street.

p.s I have nothing against giving to the needy. So, don't judge me.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My kids have money boxes and I put extra coins there, they are thrilled to get an extra coin! :) Sometimes I do need to get there for change, but I always put in back and sometimes more. When they want to buy something they have "their" money there and they are happy to buy something with it. $15 in a month is not bad at all Denis!

4. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    All my coins go to my three children so there's no savings for myself. I opened up an online savings account for myself and each week I deposit $20 from my money I earned online. I don't miss the money and its a hassle getting money out all the time from an online account so it works for me. I don't like hassles so I just add money and leave it alone.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me too. My daughter gets all of my change. I have an online Ally savings account that I don't touch because it doesn't have an ATM card, so the inconvenience of accessing the money makes it easier to save.

6. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. i definitely save my coins, and i was shocked at how fast they add up.

I am not saving a fortune, or anything like that, but i do manage to save between $5-10 a week. That is a good a mount of pocket change, I usually give it to the kids for doig chores, an things like that. It has really become a hobby of mine.

I remember my mom use to do it, and i thought she was crazy. Now i am doing it. I guess i am getting old.

7. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Saving coins is just another neat trick to have some extra dollars, like you guys are saying, we're not going to save a fortune, but we do save something and apart from that is really handy to have some spare change, changes are always needed. :)

8. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do this all the time. I even use different jars to hold the different coins in my currency. What I do is that every time I return from school, I always empty my pockets and my coin purse, and I transfer all the coins to their respective jars. For my bills, I also place them in a bill-jar. When the jars become full, I transfer them to a larger empty milk can and I'll only open them at the end of the year. The money I'll save will either go to my savings account, my business account, or in my splurge fund.

This is a really good way to save money especially if you are a money saving freak like me. I always feel excited whenever I put a coin in a jar because I'm looking forward for the time when I'll eventually count them, which is at New Year's eve. :)

9. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I've never tried this as I always think that "hey, I need money tomorrow, I'll have to go to the ATM"
    So are you really saving money, or are you relocating your money from the bank to a jar?

10. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Come on, never? You seem to be a lucky guy, your bank is always loaded with money and you just go to the ATM and get some more? :) I think we do save something because putting it in the jar makes us not spend those extra coins in the pocket on superfluous stuff... ;)

11. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Let's say you get home with 4 dollars in your pocket, you put it in a jar and I keep it in the pocket.
    The next day you want to get a cup of coffee, you need to go withdraw more money while I just use the money I already have in my pocket, I think you're just relocating your money :)
    I keep more in the bank and you keep more in a jug....

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a matter of perspective I'd say, but let me tell you that I don't drink coffee so my money would stay in the jar. For example, I have those coins in the pocket and I think, I'm going to grab a cake, but if I don't have them I just might eat the apple I brought in my bag.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have got three piggy banks. I just put all the extra coins I have into them without even thinking about it. It has become second nature. At the end of the month I am often amazed how much has accumulated. I usually don't touch that money but wait until every little piggy is full and then take them to the coin counting machine at my bank, where I get many curious looks and smiles.

14. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I'm definitely not against piggy banks or jugs, don't get me wrong.
    I currently don't have one but I used to and it definitely works, the only thing I'm contesting the obligation of putting your coins into it every day, I think it's purpose if to collect the extra money you have, but not necessarily all of it so you need to get more when you want to buy something...

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Piggy banks are great for kids, they get super-excited when they put the money in there and it's an incentive for them to realize the value of money and of saving.

Stryk, it's not a matter of obligation, it's just a discipline that you chose to have or not, if it doesn't work for you fine lol. :)

16. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Although it seems to be a not so cool idea at first, you'll be surprised a few saved coins can come in hand when the time comes. I've filled a jar of coins and besides the obvious purpose I use it as a dumbbell of some sort when I'm working out. Its not much as an obligation, I don't really strain too much just so I can put a few coins in, its more of habit kind of thing.

17. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's cool too, we can make it as a game, if we do something we should not, we just put a coin in. Having coins is super-handy, I am reaching for them all the time, but I put them back too.

18. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I used to save all my coins but lately I got into the habit of paying the exact amount of whatever I buy from the shop. When my baby girl gets older then I definitely will encourage her to save using coins.

19. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think it's a bad habit really whnuien, if I can I get rid of all my coins too, but if I get home and I have some I just put them away, another cent saved! ;)

20. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    I don't put all of my coins in jar, just my pennies. I have a several hard filled with pennies. I started doing this about a year ago an I'm curious to know how much money are in each jar. I keep other coins in my purse and use them when I'm at the store. Comes in handy when I don't want to break a bill for an item that's only $2! I just pay the clerk in quarters, dimes, and nickels.