Putting your pet to 'sleep.'

Discussion in Pets started by Denis Hard • Apr 26, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pets age eventually or maybe they've been in an accident [where recovery is not option].

When they lose interest in life and lie there in pain do you call a vet or end their misery yourself.

I know most people would rather not do the hard job themselves but for those who can, how would you do it? One 'expert' at putting dogs to 'sleep' suggested putting it in a freezer and letting it freeze.

Your thoughts?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I take it to the vet.

My dad used to take care of it when we lived out in the country, but it's simply not something I can do. And I can't imagine putting an animal in a freezer to slowly freeze to death. Yes, it's probably a fairly painless way to go because they'd likely fall asleep first and then slowly drift away, but I just can't do it.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It would break my heart to end my pet's life myself, so I would still hope for a miracle and pray that the vet can still do something about prolonging his life. I really don't want my pet's life to end because I initiated it.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    All our pets died at home surrounded by us, their family. Taking them to the vet to be put to sleep is a great way to end the suffering if they're in pain. But if we talk about nothing more than old age, with no pain, I think it's better to keep them at home until the very end. It's the least we can do for our faithful friends.

While death by freezing is said to be one of the more pleasant ways to leave this world, don't do that, take them to the vet. You'll pay some cash, it won't be as cheap, but we talk about our loving non human friends here, they deserve a proper treatment :)

5. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I had to have my dog put to sleep about six years ago and I'm not afraid to admit that I cried my eyes out for weeks. Putting a dog in a freezer is something you should not do!

6. AB91000

AB91000Active Member

Threads:

That sounds disturbing.

I prefer to let the professionals do their job. I do not think that i have the stomach to put my own pet down. It would be to emotional stressful for me to handle. Not to mention that i do not know how to properly do it, and i might make my pets death more painful than it should be. I do not want to be the cause of such cruelty.

In the past i have elected to let my Vet handle these situations. That is a decision that i have never regretted. They are the experts. I would rather pay them, for the simple fact that i know my pet will not suffer anymore than he has to.

I think that is the most humane thing to do.

7. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Uh...ok I 've never heard of the freezer thing. Being frozen to death is suppose to be a more pleasant way to go? I can't imagine that. It amazes me how outlandish we treat animals compared to humans. I mean if your 2 year old was sick and in pain would you take them to the doctor to get some help or put them out of their misery but sticking them in the freezer? I mean really...

And how would someone know that death by freezing was more pleasant if they're not the one going through it. I can imagine it's like being stuck in a bad snow storm and dying of hypothermia. I can't imagine that would be pleasant.

#7May 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2014
  8. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    If any of our pet become old or got into an accident we just take care of them until they eventually die. Going to a vet is very expensive in my country and most of the time we just can't afford it. As for putting them in freezer, I don't think any of us would take that as an option.

9. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    That your pet to the vet. The freezing thing is not a more humane why of putting them down. Putting down a pet is difficult enough as it is. I can not imagine what the pet is thinking during the freezing.