Question On Web Surfing Triggers

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by H.C. Heartland • Mar 19, 2015.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I decided to put this post here in hopes that computer savvy people might be able to help me. I have a theory that I would like to be proven true so that I can use it to my advantage. Have you ever noticed that once you begin surfing on certain websites you often get coupon advertisements the following day in your junk or inbox? For example, I am hoping that by canceling an order I made at Walmart's photo center, it will trigger a coupon for it to be put into my inbox. Can anyone confirm that this is a technique some companies use to get their hesitant clients to return?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To get emails it means you've subscribed to get email alerts when they have offers, news of promotions, etc? I don't remember the last time I allowed shopping websites to send me emails so I've never had them send me any coupons. I suppose though it [sending you coupons] is part of their marketing campaign to retain customers or prospective customers.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Only if you sign up to the newsletters or have registered on a site will you get emails. You may get pop up ads from the keywords you have been using though.

I always put things in my CVS shopping basket and never checkout and they email me a reminder of my cart and offer a discount voucher if I check out. So you could try that. When companies see unfinished transactions they try to convert them as long as you have signed in.

4. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Absolutely. I worked as an SEO consultant a few years ago (I'm underqualified really), and I can tell you for a fact that this is true. Here is how it works:
    1. Your isp may be tracking your browsing and selling the information to third party sites.
    2. This is more common. Every time you visit a site, they leave cookies behind to track your movement. There are even cookies to track how fast you pushed the 'back' button if you clicked on a page you didn't like. Solution: Configure your browser to NOT accept cookies. Also, don't give your email address to everyone and log out of it (like Google) every time you browse. Don't let Google build up a profile of your browsing history and you won't get a lot of junk mails in your inbox.

Hope this helped. A lot of people don't know about these things. The whole system isn't designed to be malicious really, it's mainly for convenience. But it can also be exploited, as you already know.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You might get targeted ads on your browser the next time you're browsing a site with ads. If you're already signed up for Walmart's emails, then you could receive one for the photo center because of tracking cookies. However, I doubt you're going to get a photo center offer that matches exactly what you're trying to buy. It doesn't always work like that.

6. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    Oh thanks! Thats a good tip, I never thought of that. Sometimes the item might actually have to be in your cart. I love CVS, its my favorite pharmacy store. But I've rarely ever bought anything from them online. Thanks for the reminder that it is an option available.

7. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I usually get coupons when I put something in my basket and don't buy it. Then the next day the retailer eventually sends me a coupon for what is in my basket. This doesn't apply to Amazon though, even thought I wish it did!

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, some companies do that. When you cancel or don't cash out, they will send you a reminder with a coupon code. I don't remember which companies do it, but I think you could just google for it. But yes, to answer your question, it happens.

9. H.C. Heartland

Threads:
    Thank you so much! Yes, that helps alot. I do not think many people realize how it works and we are junking up our systems and setting ourselves up for possible viruses because of our lack of information. Thanks so much for sharing those things. We look forward to having more great tips from you since you work in this field!