Quick, simple and tasty recipes...

Discussion in Food & Drink started by FortisLupus • Sep 14, 2012.

1. FortisLupus

FortisLupusNew Member

Threads:
    Ginger Freezer Cake

2 x 10oz cartons of double cream

1 box of Anna's Ginger Thins, or equivalent

1 tsp of vanilla extract

Whip the cream until it's as thick as it will go, add the teaspoon of vanilla extract in just as it starts to stiffen, then ensure it's thoroughly mixed through.

Open the box of thins, cram one into your mouth, just because they are so nice. Then cram in another for good measure. MAKE OMNOMNOMNOM noises. Do it, this is compulsory!

Using as many or as little thins as you'd like, smear them with the whipped cream, and stick together like a gingery creamy log. Make sure you leave plenty of cream to thickly smear your log. You cannot have a thinly creamed log! Lay the log on its side on a serving platter or plate, and cover with the remaining cream.

Put the dessert into the freezer for 45 minutes, then transfer to the fridge. Allow to stiffen for at LEAST four hours, overnight is preferable. When ready to serve, crush a couple of ginger thins, and sprinkle atop the creamy log. Slice diagonally, and share amongst your friends, or don't tell them about it and nom the lot yourself*.

ENJOY.

*Caution, sickness may occur.

gingercake.

#1Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  2. FortisLupus

FortisLupusNew Member

Threads:
    Cheese and Pepper Cookies

(Makes about twelve cookies.)

125g of butter or margarine
    125g of plain flour
    25 grams of finely grated cheese
    Half a teaspoon of salt
    Half a teaspoon of ground/cracked black pepper

Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.

Combine your butter/margarine and flour together in a bowl using either your fingers or a fork, until you get breadcrumbs.

Toss in your cheese, salt, and pepper into the breadcrumbs, and make into a dough ball.

Knead aforementioned dough ball on a floured surface, until it's nice and smooth.

Break off small pieces of dough, roll into a ball shape in the palm of your hand, and squash down with a fork on a greased/greaseproof papered baking tray.

Bake for ten-fifteen minutes until cookies reach a light golden colour.

Allow to cool on a cooling rack, and then scoff the lot. You could be nice and share them too.

The cookies are nicely complimented by a hot cup of tea... Enjoy!

cookies.

#2Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Nice recipes - I'm not much for sweet stuff, but I love the sound of the cheese and pepper cookies - I'll definitely go for that. These hot days, we don't fancy eating very much, and we often just have cheese and biscuits. These would be different, and complement the flavours of the cheeses as well. Cheap and easy to make as well, which is always a bonus.

4. IvyBubbles

IvyBubblesNew Member

Threads:
    Hey, thanks! I'd like to try the cheese and pepper cookies. I'm intrigued by how it will taste plus it's so easy to make!

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, cookies that are not sweet. These would make a really good party food. I really like how they are made with ingredients I always have in my kitchen so I could make these anytime. Thanks for the recipe.

6. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I like the idea of the cheese pepper cookies. Sounds interesting. This is very similar to the ones we make here. We add a tea spoon of red cayenne grounds (Finely powdered) and tea spoon of ground Trachysprmum Ammi Or Bishop's weed into the dough. The flavor and taste is unusual and a change from the normal.
    Thanks for sharing the recipes. I would like to try the other one sometime.

#6Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Cheese and pepper cookies is new to me. It does sound interesting and something I will have to try soon.

8. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    As much as I hate to admit it (because I love old school cooking), for me, the best quick and tasty meal is egg noodles topped with a heated can of either Vegetable Beef soup or Savory Pot Roast soup. It's cheap, easy, tasty, and minus the sour cream, it's surprisingly similar to beef stroganoff that takes much longer to prepare. I don't make it often, but it works in a pinch, and the components are always in my pantry.

9. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Beef & Broccoli over Egg Noodles. Simple enough, just get some Philly Cheese Steak sliced Beef and cut it into thin strips. Sautee it in some garlic infused olive oil, then toss in some blanched fresh broccoli (you can throw in some carrots or mushrooms too if you like), then pour Oyster sauce over it and stir it until it heats through. Serve it over egg noodles, and top with a little toasted sesame seeds, if you have some on hand.