Quick Tips for Grocery Shopping

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Oct 7, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's too easy to spend more than you want to when you shop for groceries. These quick tips can make a difference: Never shop when you're hungry. We probably all know this already, but it's a good reminder. Try to stick to your list. Another tip is to shop for basics first. Avoid the junk food isles and get the important stuff first. We're less likely to add junk food when the cart is filled with good things. What are your best tips?

2. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I like that tip about not shopping when you're hungry - I have done it before and end up spending too much money. Another good tip is to separate the list into categories so that you don't have to back track when you shop. For example, all the dairies in a category, all the produce in another, and the canned goods in another, etc. Also, we try to stick with our weekly budget. Now that people rarely take cash when they shop (but use debit cards) they very easily loose track of how much they are spending. We have begun to take cash again when shopping and this helps us make sure we only spend what we have set aside for food that week. It is very embarrassing when you ring up and you don't have enough money and have to send something's back (yes, its happened to me several times), so after that happens you begin only putting what you need and know you can afford into your cart. Also, shopping in off hours can make it a less hectic experience. But sometimes people can't do that.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually like to go shopping when I am hungry. I just walk down the aisles and look for cooking inspirations. I am neither a big money spender nor someone who gets tempted by junk food. Since I had some serious health problems in the past, I have become very disciplined with my diet. I think we can all save money by training ourselves to say "no" to sudden impulse buying that goes over our budget.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Good posts. Those are some good tips, H.C. I do count as I go though, rounding up (to kind of include for taxes), and I'm generally very close to the mark. So, thankfully, I don't go over. I've seen it happen a lot though.

I agree that we need to be less impulsive, Dora. I am usually okay doing so. We all have moments of weakness though.

Another tip: Don't bring hungry kids with you to the market. lol