Rain collector

Discussion in Water started by ignite1hp • Jan 13, 2015.

1. ignite1hp

ignite1hpNew Member

Threads:
    Does anyone use a rain collector? I watched a video where someone bought a new trash can, and then from there roof had a funnel leading into the trash can and collected all of the rain that fell. Then they used this water to cook there food, to drink, to bathe in etc. I think it's a really good idea for some. Personally, I would never do it, but I wanted to pass the tip along to others and was curious to see if anyone else is doing the same thing.

2. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    I haven't used a rain collector but I'm thinking about getting one. I live in Florida which means plenty of rain and I'm sure anything is better than using tap water. I have seen this before, and it is sure worth a try. Plants grow well with rain water, so it should be safe for us.

3. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I think that is pretty interesting. I think that it would benefit people who live in places that have more rain than usual. It would really help them save money on their water bill. Although, I do think cooking with that water can be a bit extreme.

4. Treadlight

TreadlightMember

Threads:
    If you don't have a garden, the best use I can think of is having it as a back-up water supply. It would be the same as if you had a well.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We don't use it, but I think it can be a good way to save on your water bill if you use the collected rain water to clean your car or other surroundings, or even bathe your dog, so I guess that's not such a bad idea. I think I would just use all my basins to collect some rain water if I wanted to.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Harvesting rain water is relatively easy. All you need are gutters, downspouts and a tank. Depending on the size of your "water tank" you can collect water which you can use daily for all your needs for as long as the rain falls. It would save you a lot of money on water. That said, in the place I live in, everyone harvests rain water.

7. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not in an place that it would be easy to do. But if I were, I would only do it for watering plants. I certainly wouldn't drink it or necessarily use it for cooking or cleaning anything. But I'm sure there are people out there that get a lot of benefit from it.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you live in a town where there's little to no air pollution then chances are the rain water will be "PURE." Perfectly safe to drink. Perfectly great for everything you need water for. I've heard that in some places they only drink rain water because they believe it's cleaner than tap water.