Ramen

Discussion in Food & Drink started by brandontnguyen • Apr 16, 2012.

1. brandontnguyen

brandontnguyenNew Member

Threads:
    I know there is that social stigma of Top Ramen and Cup Noodles being only for the poor or college kids, but does anyone else find them amazingly delicious? They are bad for you, but they are so delicious and yummy that I usually can't stop myself from eating them.

2. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    They're bad for you? Really? How so?

I love Top Ramen's Chicken Noodle Soup. I usually cook and eat some right before bed. It's very good, and it's price is very low. :D

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Well Some1, the noodles themselves aren't any worse for you than any other pasta...which isn't necessarily good/bad for you in moderation, but it's just an empty carb that doesn't bring any nutrients.

Those little seasoning packets that come in them, though? Holy cow, sodium overload....you should really look how much is one of them sometime. You'll be amazed.

You can make them a bit healthier by tossing out the packet and adding some veggies, a boiled egg, etc, though. :)

4. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    I don't have to eat ramen, but I can't imagine my pantry without them. I LOVE ramen. Always have. The fact that it's so dang cheap is just a great bonus. I have ramen for lunch or dinner a few times a week. But, I don't use the seasoning packets. They're way too high in sodium and have too many unpronounceable ingredients, and I can make better seasonings anyway. I'll throw in some kale or chard leaves with the boiling noodles and season with light soy sauce, drain the water out when they're done cooking and top with poached eggs. That's a meal. I use the noodles in stir fries or top them with sauteed veggies, and every once in a while I'll make a ramen pancake. Shred cabbage and add to cut up cooked noodles, with an egg, seasonings to taste and just enough flour to make it hold together and fry it like a pancake.

5. sam300

sam300New Member

Threads:
    I don't know how some people don't like Top Ramen, it is so delicious and tasty. I feel like eating them everyday but ofcourse I can't. :p

6. brandontnguyen

brandontnguyenNew Member

Threads:
    Well they are overloaded with sodium, which is why lots of people don't like eating them. And I'm not sure if it's because I eat it so rarely, but sometimes I feel like eating little ramen packets for dinner every day.

7. Renzaku

RenzakuNew Member

Threads:
    I don't really find those two brands of instant noodles to taste very good, but I do enjoy eating Nongshim packaged and other cup noodles.
    I used to eat those a lot, so I just got tired of them (I usually only eat them late at night when I can't find anything good to eat, which
    is pretty often).

8. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I love eating Maggi which is the local equivalent of Ramen. Now I have found a better alternative. I buy dried noodles. Without seasoning. Then I cook up a quick gravy. Toss in the dried noodles and I have got the same tasty meal for about half the price.

9. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I simply LOVE ramen. I do not eat it often but when teaching English abroad (in Asia), it was a given that the kids would come to close, ramen in hand. They ate it dry with the spice sprinkled over...like crisps. Really delicious that way too. I also really liked the shin ramen, which is very hot...the hotter the better. (-:

10. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I LOVE the Top Ramen soups! Not only is it great for a budget, but its something fast and easy to make when you are in a hurry, don't feel well, or just want Ramen soup!

11. daisiesndots

daisiesndotsMember

Threads:
    I love Ramen noodles! I love to make them with the packet but it makes them so overloaded with sodium that I have stopped. Now I make them with light margarine and Parmesan cheese. Its so good that I usually find myself wanting another pack. I resist the urge though because they are empty carbs. I used to eat these a lot when I was younger. For years I never even knew that people made them as a soup. I have always drained the water and then added the seasonings.

12. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    I like it, but I go through spells where I eat it and then don't touch it for a while. One of my kids loves it! She wanted ramen for her birthday dinner. I hardly ever give it to the kids and when I do, they get half a packet of seasoning or less. When I eat it, I pour almost all of the water out so the seasonings are really strong.

13. Stitches

StitchesNew Member

Threads:
    They do taste good and their price makes them basically free. I do wish however that they came with more flavor packets. It seems like they cheap out on those. The prawn one is my favorite, and although I eat noodles rarely, I always end up making them when I get a cold or sore throat, as they seem to help relieve my sinuses (the smell and heat) and taste good at the same time.

14. R. Paradon

R. ParadonNew Member

Threads:
    I guess I will be one of the few unpopular posters on this one. In my opinion they are terrible. Cheaply produced and as most have admitted sodium filled packets with a bit of flavoring.

It is cheaper to look around at a grocery store for marked down pasta and make your own seasoning. Little bit of chicken bullion, some sage or oregano and you have a healthy version of cheap noodles! Add up the cost per ounce of what you made and compare it to the cost of the Ramen.

15. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I'm so guilty of having this as my comfort food! Ramen while watching my favorite TV show will easily relieve me from stress. It's not a good idea to eat them everyday but once in a while is not so bad! And yes, they are definitely delicious!

16. Hickorycottage

HickorycottageMember

Threads:
    Ummm, I'm guilty. I know they are bad for you also, but we eat them once in a while. Sometimes, I make egg drop soup out if them, and add chopped green onions to them. They are really good that way. Our favorite flavor is chicken. I wonder how ramen/broccoli soup would be with white chicken added, I might try it tonight. Mmmmmm!

17. AliDee

AliDeeMember

Threads:
    Love it! Cheap food for a poor student haha. Keeps me going all the time!

18. katniss

katnissActive Member

Threads:
    I love ramen. My favorites are Jjiampong (seafood and some spices) and Poku (long broiled pork bone narrows). Occasionally I'll add some extra peas and carrots, pea pods, brocolli, diced red bell peppers, corn or If I have mushrooms and steak I slice them thin and throw them in also. I usually only use half the seasoning packet that comes with it, otherwise it's usually too salty. Sometimes I get cravings for dry ramen noodles too.

19. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I like to add veggies and make it a bit healthier. I do drain almost all of the water out and if I use any at all, I will only use about half the seasoning pack. There are a lot of creative recipes on the web now for using ramen in cooking. I have tried a few and they are pretty good. My daughter has always liked to crunch on the uncooked noodles, so I was happy to find a chicked salad recipe that left the noodles crunchy for her.

20. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I love Ramen noodles! It's a great cheap lunch and my kids like them too.