Re-using gifts bags?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by khillis • Apr 2, 2014.

1. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    Did your family ever re-use gift bags that were in perfect shape? We would re-use the bags within the family, especially around Christmas. Did anyone else do something similar?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Definitely!

I do my best to not re-use super unique ones back to the same person, though.

Especially around Christmas, though, we use them for extended family or friend gifts. It's easy to add a new tag if the previous tag had been written on.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Sure thing, we do the same! Gift bags are kept in good condition most times so I see no point in buying more when you already have perfectly looking ones laying around. If the pattern is unique or interesting, like Jessi above mentioned, even better! Plus, even if the bags are not that expensive, every saved penny counts!

4. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes if the bags are in good shape which sometimes the person doesn't want them after they take their gifts from them I would take them and reuse them surly. It just like recycling them

5. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I always reuse the gift bags as long as they're in good condition. I think that it would be such a waste to just throw them away or recycle them. By reusing them they basically are being put to good use again and hopefully the gifted will do the same. ;)

6. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    Yes - I always do this - unless of course the bag looks damaged after transporting somewhere, etc. I actually dislike when people write on the tags lol because then I can't use it - unless it's the kind that you can just rip off.

I know many friends and family members who also re-use bags, too.

7. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Personally I do not see anything wrong with that. You can use it to show off how you got some gift bag from a certain famous company and of course some more goodies. I use them once in a while.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I re-use gift bags and even gift paper wrapping if it's in good condition. Well, when I say "I", I mean we, as is my wife who is the real collector and gatherer of this stuff, but it does make sense, it's good looking stuff that can be re-used and save us money, it's just necessary a little space to put that away while is not being needed.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have always re-used gift bags. As a matter of fact, my grandmother had a whole drawer full of recycled gift wrapping paper, all neatly folded and pressed, for all occasions.
    For me personally, keeping the bag or paper from some special gift that I receive, is part of my cherishing the memory of it. Sometimes I even store the present in its original wrapping for years. I just like the thought of how a dear friend not just spent time to select or make something unique for me, but also how that person carefully chose a cover for it. Call me sentimental if you like. :)

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes of course, because it would do the gift bag more "justice" if you had actually used it instead of it just lying around the house. Of course you have to make sure that it still looks good and it has not been manhandled for it to be re-used.

11. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I reuse gift bags that are unsoiled or in in great condition. I have a really close friend and we exchange gifts every Christmas season. We use the same gift bag year after year. It's an amusing tradition we do. Our gift bags return to us the following year and it will be the same bag that will be used for the next year's gift.

For other recipients, I also use recycled gift bags and wouldn't mind at all if gift givers will practice that, too. I believe we should be more concerned with the environment by reducing our trash. This is one way of making the earth a better place.

12. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I have done in the past, but not very often because I very rarely get them. :( My presents normally come crudely wrapped in wrapping paper and then shoved into a carrier bag. :(

13. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    My family believes in being thrifty so we not only re-use gift bags but also gift wrap and fancy tissue paper. One year, I was overloaded with gift paper so I wrapped everything in something that had been used in the past year. Everyone laughed because they remembered the paper but enjoyed the holiday anyway.

14. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I only hang onto gift bags if I know for sure that I will use it in the next month or so, like if I have a friend with a birthday coming up soon. Other than that, I pitch them. I try not to packrat too much. Sure, maybe I could save a few bucks by hanging onto them, but I don't use them enough to really be worried about it. For Christmas, I rarely use gift bags. Wrapping paper seems to be more cost-effective. :)

15. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I reuse gift bags, as long as the tag is taken off if it has been written on I don't see a problem reusing perfectly good bags. There is no point buying new gift bags all the time as they would just get thrown away if they are not reused.

16. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    If the gift bag is in perfect condition--which they usually are--I have no problem reusing them. I make sure I don't use it for the same person, but it's a great money saver and good for the environment. It just seems so wasteful to me to get rid of the bag, even if it is recycled, after one use.

17. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I think there's nothing wrong in re-using gift bags, as long as they are still in perfect condition and that there is nothing written on them. I think that's a better option compared to just leaving them at home and letting it get dusty. I don't think the giver of the gift would also mind, because at least the item is put to good use.

Sometimes, what I would also use as gift bags would be the store paper bags that I get whenever I buy something. I think I'm just being practical by doing that. With all the drives and campaigns to protect the environment, I really think it's unnecessary to keep on buying those colorful gift wrappers. It's just a waste because the person will just tear it apart. I would like to save the trees by making use of what I have.

18. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I do reuse gift bags and wraps. It's cheap and not only that it's also my way of helping to preserve and save the environment. Besides it also saves me a lot of time aside from the money from having to buy a those that I will use for wrapping the gifts and make them a little unknown, to involve a little of surprise, to those whom I will be giving my gifts.

19. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Heavens yes, if this is an issue, then I would think I was being a bit too anal. lol.

They fit the occasion, or I don't use them. I think everyone expects to get their gift bags back. It's really fun to me actually, and never bothered anyone, they just laugh and say you again. :)

20. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    This thread just reminded me about the massive pile of them we have stuffed down in the basement. We literally have so many that we don't possibly give enough gifts to ever use them all up before we get another pile from others. As per your question, we re-use them all the time when we can, but clearly not fast enough.

I'll probably donate a few to the Salvation Army tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder.