Read Books On How To Be A Good Parent

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by ExpertAdvice • May 19, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    For those of us in here who are parents. I urge you, read some books on how to parent, hopefully they will give you some good tips, we both know that you know that as a parent YOU DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING, so I believe that parents should make this known to their children, so that the children may have the opportunity to express themselves and make themselves more known to the parents. Half the time, if not all, parents rarely listen to a child's concern, and actually ACT on it, how can a manager, listen to his staff's problem and not address it? equally, how can a parent not take into consideration the fact that the child doesn't think that they are parenting them properly?
    So, in short, parents should be constantly finding ways to better themselves as parents.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally agree about constantly bettering themselves, but we all do this differently. I think the majority will learn a lot from parenting books.. at least to open their eyes to other options. That said though, I've seen some pretty nifty parenting books I really don't agree with lol. I think as long as we're all keeping our hands to ourselves other than to love the child and keeping our voices down, to each their own.

I read some back in the day, but in the end, I didn't learn a thing until I put myself in my children's shoes. I don't own them, they are new to life and don't deserve to be punished for that and they deserve more respect than anyone, parents that really listen to them and take them seriously through anything.. yet children have the least respect it seems and are just expected to give it. And don't even get me started on how teens are treated! lol If raised with respect from the start, life is a lot easier for everyone.

3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I am not yet a parent, but I am already looking for books on good parenting, specifically about motherhood. I know it sounds weird because I am only 22 years old, but somehow, I just want to be prepared for this thing in the future.

4. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    many people at 22 have a child or children, so, I think even though you think that you are only 22, I don't think that that's too young an age to start, in fact, the earlier you start, the better. I like that you've begun reading! lol, that's some diligent preparedness!

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Books aren't going to help parents learn to parent better if they lack the inherent skill to parent, though. A book can tell you things, and chances are high that the average person won't actually learn something. A book isn't going to change someone's life and make them the best parent in the world. It can help, but the effect is rather minimal if you ask me.

6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    Of course, a book can't change you, but it can help you be prepared for the situations you are going to encounter once you have become a parent.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's a great idea to read just about anything that interests you, including how to be a good parent. A lot of parents haven't got a clue about bringing up kids. They think that their children bring themselves up, which is true to a certain extent. These days I see an alarming trend in my friends who have kids. Their offspring often spends hours in front of the TV, on the computer, tablet, or smartphone. Every time they want their kids "out of the way", they just let them play with their electronic gadgets. I think there is a lot that has to be learnt about that kind of behavior.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's like someone learning how to drive by reading a book. Theoretically that will make them a better driver but it doesn't in any way prepare you for what you'll face when you actually get behind the wheel. All kids are different and because they all have different personalities, the best way to raise one may not work for another. IMO parenting is something you learn as you go.

“Your kids require you most of all to love them for who they are, not to spend your whole time trying to correct them.”

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It pays to learn about other parents' rearing practices. Learning will give you ideas about how to raise your child well, be it at present (if you're already a parent) or in the future when you start a family of your own. You have to be extra cautious, however. Absorb the information you glean from parenting books but in the process, don't forget to cultivate your own parental style. After all, the situations enumerated in the book may not always apply to you.