Read Free Books Online

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Denis Hard • Jun 13, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For those who love reading and can't find free Ebooks to download [legally] lose not hope. There are some places on the net where you'll find more books or stories than you can read in a lifetime.

You can read free fan-fiction on the sites linked to below:

Enjoy!

2. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Fair warning, on the larger archives you’ll have to trawl through a LOT of chaff. That said, there are some fantastic stories scattered around these sites, some of which are as good as canon. And some so-bad-it’s-awesome stuff (anyone remember My Immortal? Haha). I’ve been known to spend significant amounts of time on FFnet and AO3 when I need a pick-me-up.

3. Denis Hard

Threads:
    It's whilst sifting through the chaff that you might find something really good which no one else has found. That's why I always prefer to actually click through the site rather than seek out only what is considered to be the most popular [because it's got the most comments, views, etc, etc].

4. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    The thing about fan-fiction is they are mostly written by not-so-professional writers so you would really have a hard time trying to make sense of the stories. I know Wattpad because it is a pretty popular site here in my country, but the use of grammar in the stories needs to be fixed.

5. Denis Hard

Threads:
    Great story-tellers bend the grammar rules. Much as I wouldn't stand a poorly written story I wouldn't mind reading entertaining stories written by writers whose grammar isn't that great. All I seek is a little entertainment and as long as I don't spend a cent . . . and since the writers aren't getting paid I expect them to be a little sloppy.

6. Taki

TakiMember

Threads:
    Fanfiction.net is the best out of the lot and I go there when I want a hit of a series that has long since been abandoned by its creators...Firefly, I am looking hard at you. Great place to find some decent literature and one Harry Potter story I read there was a good as anything that is canon.

7. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of these site before but thank you! My sister is always buying books and sometimes she reads them online. This will be great for her to use. The only thing that I would worry about is that they don't have books that are newer. She is very picky when it comes to books. She will only basically the new teen books that are out. This will also be great for me. I'm always looking for books, and free is great!

8. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    There is also BookBub and BookShout. They are both apps. You get emails telling you about free book offers and you can download any that interest you. As previously mentioned, there is a lot of chaff. I feel a little hesitant to actually recommend these sites because I have found such poor quality writing on them and quite a few are advertised as having 500+ five star reviews on Amazon, but on closer examination, the five star reviews look canned and have no real details about the book, while the one star reviews have details about the content, some people even say they wish zero stars was an option because it is so bad. My point being, read some of the reviews yourself and make sure the good ones aren't canned before you waste hours of your life on a piece of crap.

9. Takeshi Fujimoto

Takeshi FujimotoNew Member

Threads:
    Thank you for sharing these sites! Personally I'm a big fan of fan fiction stories. Particularly so when I've just finished reading a book series and I'm still craving for more haha. People can be really creative and add to the world that you've drawn up in your imagination.

10. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love fanfiction.net, and Archive Of Our Own. My personal favorite between the two though, is definitely Fanfiction.net. I have been in quite a few fandoms over the years - I think it has been three overall - and some of the stories that I read on Fanfiction about my favorite pairings and characters, were absolutely mind-blowing. When I think about the fact that 50 shades of Grey was published and turned into a movie, when it is nowhere near as good as any of the stories on fanfiction.net, is sort of heart-breaking.

11. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy fan fiction a lot - there is a great deal of it related to my two favourite novels, and I find that some of the fan fiction is just as good as the original, and sometimes even better because it fits in with my expectations of what I had hoped would happen from that story. So I would always recommend giving it a go if possible. Yes, on some threads you DO have to go through a lot of chat, but some provide links to the posts, and those are a lot easier to deal with.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for posting those links, Denis :) I already know of wattpad, and it looks very enticing. So I'll be sure to have a look at the other ones. I understand where everyone is coming from about the bad written material. I come across it in some of the eBooks I get from Amazon, too. I guess it comes with the fact that a lot of these people are aspiring authors, most of whom are self published. Sometimes I overlook it and just carry on, if the story is good.

13. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    True, and some of these websites have some of the worst stories with bad grammar and no plot. But I've read an amount of fanfictions that were actually more interesting than the original works (concerning the TV serie Merlin, for instance). AO3 is better for easy finds of good stories, I think. I usually filter for completed works in the fandom of my choice, and then make them be ordered by numbers of kudos or bookmarks.

Lately though I have preferred to get common domain ebooks to read, feeling they are a better use of my time at the moment. Since I mostly go for fanfictions when I'm so deeply struck by a TV show/movie/etc that I just want more of it.

14. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately I think that there are a lot of teenagers posting on websites like fanfiction, and they have terrible grammar, concept of plot, characterizations, amongst a whole bunch of other things. But then there will be a story, whether written by an adult or a teenager - I've experienced both - that just blows you away. It's free, and these stories are a lot better than actual published works. I have been around long enough to see a few fanfiction works published too.

15. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I've recently discovered the world of fanfiction and oh my.. there's a lot of R-rated things going on in that world, or at least the category that I'm into. Just a bit of trivia, did you know that the hot erotica 'Fifty Shades of Grey' started as a fanfiction. The author wrote a fanfiction called Master of the Universe based from characters of twilight's Edward and Bella. I've read the the fic and it's really good, it had thousands of reviews and so the author decided to publish it and well, she got lucky, the book became and hit and now adapted into a movie.

16. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing those. I have been to most of them, but I do always seem to forget about them so being reminded that they are out there is always a good thing. There are a lot of ways to get free books online, and even better the ones that do cost money are usually pretty cheap when given all of the options out there. I am pretty sure that this will only improve with time too, which is great.

17. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well if you guys are fond of using your smartphone for electronic reading then I also suggest downloading the Oodle app. It's very convenient and, much like Project Gutenberg, houses a truckload of novels from the classics to modern ones with expired licenses. You have to be connected to the Internet to be able to download a book, though, but you can certainly read offline. I'm currently enjoying a classic romance entitled The Shiek.

18. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks a lot Denis. I'm more keen of downloading ebooks online either through direct downloads, or through torrent sites. I may give your recommendations a try though simply because you never know when a "gem" might show up. I just prefer to download an ebook and read it offline rather than read ebooks online.

19. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for those sites, I'll take a look at them one of these days. I'm not a fan of fanfiction or even romance books, but I sure love to read and discover new genres.

I've been using this site to read books by both bestselling and upcoming authors:

20. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I have read research articles and one or two chapters of a book online, however, I have never read the entire book online. I have heard about one of the sites mentioned above. I have checked FanFiction, I have read part of a book on this site. However, I would not recommend this site for serious readers because the site contains books by amateur writers.