Reading books

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Gelsemium • Nov 11, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some things leave a parent proud, like watching my seven year old reading books better than a grown up. Also, he loves to read stories, so today he woke up and he went straight for a book and asked me to listen to him reading... :) Do your kids love reading as well?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of my nieces loves reading. She hardly reads fiction though. It's the stuff they learn in school she's interested in. She's always reading ahead, asking questions if she hasn't understood something. Since she knows quite well no one will be interested in hearing her read whatever it is they study, she never offers to read what she's learning to an audience.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    My kid loves to read everything, mostly literature for his age of course because the authors these days (the good ones I mean) know how to reach to the kids, know how to write captivating contents and that is a big plus to get them reading.

4. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    As a kid, I used to hate reading. I told myself, I was already doing a lot of reading in school. But around 10 or so, I picked up The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and I realized how amazing reading could be. It was more immersive than watching a TV show. I have never looked back since.

5. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I really read when I was a child. I don't know how I read, but according to my parents it was as if I was reading from top to bottom and bottom up and then sideways. So all directions. I still really like books now, but I also am presented with so many choices to choose from when it comes to reader formats. I kind of think that technology changes the way I feel about reading. I think most kids today read and they read a lot of things through many channels.

6. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have kids as yet but I have a niece and nephew and I really do consider them my kids. I have a niece I she is 6 and she loves to grab her story books and read them for me. It's funny though because sometimes she doesn't even know some of the words but she puts them together herself and she is really cute when she does it.

7. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely loved reading as a child. Books took me on adventures I never could have imagined up all on my own. I was reading on a college level by the time I was in fifth grade. My daughter is two months old, but her daddy and I are already reading to her. We hope to instill the same love of reading in her that we both had growing up.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I was not a big reader as a kid, I loved to be on the street and to play the computer, but not reading no. My kid has been offered a lot of books since he's small so I guess that having the books by hand does make a big difference.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was an obsessed child with books and reading and would forget to eat or sleep. I love reading to my friends children and to get them to join in. Reading is so important, to build up your vocabulary even now as an adult. With more distractions like television and games, the temptation not to read is greater, but books are important as there are many adults who struggle to read, because no one encouraged them to read as a child.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I am heart broken today because yesterday my kid was top of his class in the tests and he was super happy, but this morning the teacher told me that he was still misbehaving, 0 in behavior she said, so I am really torn right now...

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are some reasons why children act up in school. Try finding the cause of the issue, root it out and maybe your kid's behavior will improve.

Could be he is being influenced by some bad kids in school if you don't see that kind of behavior at home. If that's the case then you need to use positive reinforcement to weed out the undesirable behaviors you hate — kids can't help behaving themselves when they know there's a reward for their [good] behavior.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think that parents need to relax a little about behavior, in that day I was torn, but I need to learn that kids will always misbehave and as long as the grades are good I will consider that everything is ok, I simply can't worry that much, it's bad for my heart! :D

13. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If there is one thing that I've learned about children - it is that they love a good story. I don't know about them actually reading themselves. They just about get through it when you have to get them to read to you in order to fulfill their homework obligations. But even more they love having adults read stories to them, especially when you put on the voices of the different characters and whatnot lol. The only child that is really a literary child in my immediate family is my nephew, and he loves to read. If it was a choice between playing with action figures and reading, the latter would win.

14. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    It's great to see kids reading, it seems nowadays every time I see young children they are glued to a tablet playing some low-quality free games.
    With books it's different, you know that if they develop a reading habit they are on the way to discover some fantastic works later on when their reading and comprehension levels increase.
    In the meantime, listen if he wants you to listen, keep him interested.

15. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Cool parents produces cool kids. I think the habit of your children depends on what you show them as an example. It is nice to see your children studying or doing good at school, or just being good.. it reflects the kind of parenting you have. To encourage your kids to read is to read with them. My grand parents taught me to read.. and thank God, I am still a book lover up to now.

16. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    Don't have kids of myself, but I do have some younger cousins that love reading. They're still living in Asia, so the drive to learn English there is strong, Hence, they love calling me asking me about how to pronounce this word and how to pronounce that word. I think it's great seeing how eager they are to learn, and how eager they are to read. Not to mention that they're going for bilingualism at such a young age, when many of my peers can barely speak one language well.

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, that's another motivation, to learn a new language, but I guess that the principle is still the same, we need to put in our best efforts, but at the end of the day some people are just more gifted so languages and others to sciences.

18. bertadee

bertadeeNew Member

Threads:
    My child is just a toddler but he will be 4 soon, which means pre-school is right around the corner. He absolutely loves it when I read books to him, and I love that he loves it. When most kids go out they usually take toys, mines takes books. He is a very extra active kid. Not active like other toddlers and kids around his age, he is extremely hyper. But when I say it's time to read books he will sit for about 15 short books straight! It amazes me that he will sit still and try to read along. I hope that as he gets older, he will continue to like reading as I did when I was a kid. I was top reader in my class, and in the top class in every grade up until high school. I hope that he will be a smart kid like I was. I mean I'm sure we all want that for our kids.

19. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's great that you are reading to your kid bertadee he will gain the taste for reading, that's what happened to mine. Also, he has had a lot of books around him since he was a kid, so that makes a big difference as well, being able to hold a book when he wants.

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that all parents should encourage their children to read. I mean, granted, many parents don't always have the time or the patience. But reading to your children and getting your children into stories from a young age, is a wonderful gift that parents can give to their kids. I wasn't read to a lot when I was a child, but I still developed a taste for reading. Not only that but writing too. I used to come top of my class for English in secondary school when it came to original writing, and I was already in the top set. I'm not quite sure where my thirst for books, reading, and writing came from. But my life wouldn't be the same without it. I love that I can spend an entire night in, reading. Yet, I visit many places and universes. It's magic and it is amazing.