Reading in bookstores without buying

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by lordrenly • Jan 13, 2015.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of my high school days when pocketbooks became a craze among my classmates. We would go to a bookstore and read some pocketbooks and then go back on the next day to continue reading. You know that students don't have budget for luxuries like pocketbooks. But we had our way, hahahaaah. Of course, I don't browse like that anymore for I have a budget already.

2. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    There are some book shops that allow you to do this, and I would have no problem in reading books in a store that invited you to. But unless they said it was okay, I wouldn't want to do it, because I could just go to the library if I wanted to read books for free. I wouldn't want to buy books that other people had sat reading, so I wouldn't want to be the person to make books unreadable for other people.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Although I did used to browse some books and magazines, I never could stand there and finish a whole book LOL I wouldn't have had the time, anyway. It was mainly a way for me to break down my commute, but you really can't help but feel a little guilty because let's face it, it's not right!

But sometimes I did it to see if I liked the book enough to actually buy it. As we all know, eBooks are cheaper than physical books. So because I have taken to buying eBooks over actual physical books, I now seldom go into book stores, especially for books. I like that you can sample books for free on Amazon, too.

4. lordrenly

lordrenlyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, with the spread of eBooks and the fact that some of the bookstores that I used to hang out in have been closing down, I have been doing this less and less. Also, in the shopping mall near my area, the bookstore staffs actually tell the customers if they can help them with anything if they found out that the customers have been reading the books for too long.

I have been wanting to find a good library to read in, but it is not as near as the shopping mall and my old bookstore and I also do not know how many entertainment related books are there in my library. That is why library is not an option for me at the moment.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never got into that habit of reading books while inside a bookstore, I just buy the book or magazine if it interests me. The books that I am interested in reading are not available locally, so I have to buy them online. The books that I see on the store don't really interest me that much for me to read them.