Rebuilding Credit With Credit Karma

Discussion in Personal Finance started by guineapigsandgardens • Feb 16, 2015.

1. guineapigsandgardens

guineapigsandgardensMember

Threads:
    Has anyone out there used Credit Karma to monitor their credit and hopefully rebuild things? How accurate are the scores on Credit Karma? I had some issues with student loans and late credit card payments when I lost my job a couple years ago. I'm trying to rebuild my finances and Credit Karma is really tempting because it's free.

2. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend everyone to get their free credit report annually direct through this site:

It is always a good idea to know what your credit scores with the major reporting agencies are and any "black marks" that you might be able to get fixed, or at least not make the same mistake again.

But I think it can be a mistake to try and micromanage you credit score or use a lot of the tricks people recommend to increase it (like having extra unused credit cards or other things that while fine in theory can actually get you in even more trouble).

Basic things like budgeting, having bills on autopay etc are what pays of in the long run.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think Credit karma is a really good site. They do not charge a few and can do credit monitoring at any time. They give you periodic reviews of your scores. Of course everyon is entitled to one free set of scores per year, but credit Karma can do more than most sites to help you monitor your scores.