Rechargeable Batteries: Are They Really Worth It?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Colebra • Mar 17, 2015.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    From your experience, do you save anything by using rechargeable batteries?
    People say that the batteries don't fully charge after a while...
    Must have, or waste of money?

2. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:

I totally, think they are a better money saving method. This especially true when having children and all the toys and devices that they use to entertain themselves. Even if they eventually lose their charge, which I do not know if they do or not, they still can save you money in the long run. We have a set that have been used for five or more years now. I would also think they are better for the environment.

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    They're definitely a money-saver in the long run compared to buying non-rechargeable batteries. If you can get away with it, bring your charger to your workplace/school and charge your batteries there! Back when digital handheld cameras were the rage I used to do this all the time.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They aren't reliable, but okay for kids toys and things that aren't important. However my dad uses them for his safe and doorbell and they don't last as long and the doorbell didn't ring and the safe didn't have enough power to open. So for these things he uses normal batteries as it's not worth the risk of them going flat so quickly.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard of them and have been thinking of trying them out, so it's a little disappointing to hear all the mixed reviews. I wonder if anyone's had any experience with the solar operated ones, and if they know if they are any better? I've heard of them, but have never actually seen them! Are they even easily found?

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like any other rechargeable battery, no matter its components, the battery is going to wear out over time and stop producing the same charge as it originally did. You'll still get hundreds of hours of extra usage out of a rechargeable battery compared to a one-time use disposable one. It's as simple as that, so they are cost-effective and smart buys.

7. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I like rechargeable batteries, and I found it is a long good break from buying new batteries. Although I never really look at my electric bill or compare how much it takes to charge the batteries, but in the end, I do think you are saving a bit of money.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, they save money. How much obviously depends on what you're using and how quickly it eats thru batteries, but they definitely do save a chunk of money.

9. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to have one of thos little plug-in battery chargers and I used the rechargable ones in a little portable radio that i had. I had enough batteries that i kept some on the charger and usd the others. They do have to be changed more often than the regular ones; but you do not have to replace them for a very long time. Once I even had a solar battery charger, and i just put in a couple of AA batteries and sat it in a sunny window while they charged up again.
    I also have solar lights that use rechargable batteries, and those are great ! They recharge every day, and light up at night, and last a really long time.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think they are since you only need to surpass the number of charges it would take to reach the same price that you would have paid had you opted to buy regular batteries instead. For example, if rechargeable batteries costed 5x regular ones, then at the 6th charge you'd already be getting more value for your money, and usually they do last more than that amount. Though considering you'd also need to buy a charger to start it adds up, but once you're set up it's definitely going to be worth it.

11. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    There are a lot of good responses here. My experience has been never to buy regular batteries as long as I have a surge protector, a battery charger, and rechargeable batteries, AA, AAA, C and D sizes. I have been using these for the past three years for outdoor solar lighting, remote controls, clocks, and toys. I purchased chargers at flea markets for two or three dollars compared to retail prices starting at 9.99. I use the surge protector for all the chargers so the power usage is at a minimum.

As with anything the charge will eventually die out but when depends on how often and what the purpose is. In a clock it can probably last 3-6 months compared to a digital camera a couple of hours. I usually carry extras for my camera.

Rechargeable batteries are well worth the investment and if you see a coupon for them grab it.

12. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    You could really save a lot with rechargeable batteries. I've been using it with my toothbrush and so far it is working fine. The battery may wear out over time and you need to replace them but at least you don't need to buy that often. I haven't tried solar powered batteries yet but I think this is better than rechargeable batteries for you don't need electricity to charge it. I cannot wait to try it and see how it works.

13. SweetMamaKaty

SweetMamaKatyActive Member

Threads:
    They're a must-have for us, specifically for all the battery operated toys in the house. We went with Eneloop, and are happy with the brand.

I don't think they hold a charge while sitting unused as well as the manufacturer claims, but during active use they work great. I wish we had bought the set years ago, because they've already paid for themselves. I'd like to pick up a few more AAs, actually!

14. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I've had quite a few rechargeable batteries for the bunch of electronics I have, and I have never had any of them stop charging so far. They are a great time and money saver to have around. If you ever run out of battery you can just plug in the charger and wait a bit instead of going all the way to the store for a pair of new ones every time you run out.

15. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    In my experience they are. The convenience is the biggest plus, as far as I'm concerned. The money you save is another big plus. I will actually buy them before I will regular batteries.

16. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Recahrgeable batteries are very convenient but it always helps to have a couple of extra fully charged ones around in case of emergencies. The initial cost of the batteries and charger far outweighs the cost of buying standard batteries and the great thing is, you'll never run out! It's also far kinder to the environment. Living in the UK means that solar-powered chargers wouldn't work too well for me which is a shame as I think they're a fantastic idea.

17. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We found it to be the better value when the kids were little, with all the toys and devices they had that required batteries. Like Dr.Ripley explained, they pay for themselves in short order. Now that the prices for regular batteries are so much higher, and the prices for chargers and rechargeable batteries are lower, I think it would be an even greater value. Now that it's been brought up, I might just have to pick up a charger and some rechargeables for the grandkids.

18. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, back ups really are important! I don't know if its just me, but they seem to run down quicker than regular batteries.