Rechargeable Solar Lamp Not Good

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Alexandoy • Sep 5, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We bought a rechargeable lamp a few weeks back. That is useful when a typhoon would cause power outage. We have an old one so we bought another for a backup. After plugging in the socket for 1 day, it’s running good with the white light for 4 hours. That’s pretty good. But when I tested the solar charger, hmm, it’s not charging at all. I left it under the sun for 3 hours and when I turned it on, the power lasted for just a few seconds. Clearly, that solar charging function is fake.

2. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well these are the types of products that when you see them you immediately see how great it would be, only to realize that they are not really all what they are cracked up to be. I bet that soon the technology will catch up though and they will be more reliable.

3. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I think some of them can be good for the road trip. You can use them. But they seem to have short life due to their design. Also they may not give enough energy. And that's something you may end up avoiding. I personally think that instead of solar lamps, electric lamps or battery lamps are better.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The idea behind it is great, however whenever I have relied on solar power it has always failed me. The light is so dim and weak it is pretty useless. The problem is it's fine if it's a garden light to deter intruders, but when you actually need it so you don't fall over then it's not reliable. I'm afraid I use batteries as they can be relied on because solar just doesn't work. I wish it did, but it doesn't last long even when it does.

5. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    Then I believe this must be a universal problem since we are suffering the same from this part of the world. However, I do not think that it is all of them. In every production, there happens to be some defectives that just happen to slip through the conveyor belt.

What I think, is that the government should develop consumer laws, that should call for quality assessment of the lamps before they roll out of the factory. This way, we can receive better lamps.

6. PeteS

PeteSNew Member

Threads:
    These solar powered lights are really the opposite of the common saying ´you get what you pay for´. At Walmart, you can buy a kit of them for $10 ( usually 4 lights). I have also bought ones that were about $30 per light. In both cases, they are hit or miss, but obviously with the cheap Walmart ones if you can buy 12 for $30 rather than 1 for $30, you are more likely to get ones that work. It seems that at times more expensive does not mean higher quality.

7. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I think that the product you were sold is not of a good quality then. Otherwise solar chargers are quite durable and last for a long time.

8. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I have a rechargable solar lamp. The lamp recharges from electricity, light from filament bulbs as well as from sun. The back does not last long if the lamp is recharged through light from filament bulbs or sun, however, the backup is good if recharged from electricity. That's because the sunlight absorbing panel on the lamp is very small.

9. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    You could look into a better quality of solar light,and make sure they are not to expensive either,but I think you need to live in a sunny climate to get a good charge out of these solar lights. Also I think you could check Amazon out for some good prices on these solar lights-and some of these work both indoor and outdoor. You can use some of these solar lights in the garden,bedroom,camping and for emergency power outages as well.

10. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It is good I have not tried it yet. I am planning to buy one for preparation during the brown out which is so frequently with no pre-announcement. We are always caught unaware and we suffer the darkness, the heat, and everything. So what we have for emergency light is a rechargeable led light with so many tiny bulbs. And also we have installed several led bulbs in the house when in case it is brown out, they are lighting for three to 4 hours. They are economical and energy saver.

11. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    I gifted one solar powered lamp which is also rechargeable using current They are happy with it. In the rainy season however solar power is not available. Yours could have a defect and you should contact the supplier about it.

12. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    It's great that you explained this in a way that is understandable. I was thinking that it's all as a result of the absorbing panel being small and you know in such situations, it is not always easy to get it fully charged from the sun unlike when we are charging from the electricity.

13. Barida

BaridaActive Member

Threads:
    While buying products such as rechargeable lamp and other electronic gadgets, it is always important we do that at authorized offline stores as well as recognized online stores so that if there is any malfunction we noticed with the product, we can safely return it and get it changed or taken a look at. That's the reason we should be careful on situations like this to buy from the best around.