Recipes With Plain Old Cabbage?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ohiotom76 • Aug 13, 2015.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I learned something new today when searching for the specific variety of cabbage that is commonly sold in grocery stores here in the US - it's known as "cannonball cabbage" - not to be confused with your standard green cabbage, which is darker.

Cabbage3.

I've got some currently cooking in my steamer, along with some garlic, celery and carrots, to have as a side dish later. But this morning I was trying to see if I could find any new recipes to make with cabbage. It's pretty cheap at our grocery stores, selling for about 60 cents a pound, and one head of it makes a pretty large amount of food once you chop it up. I also like that once it's cooked, it has a noodle-like texture to it, at a fraction of the calories of pasta.

Most often, we make stuffed cabbage with it, or cabbage and egg noodles (aka haluski), roasted cabbage and potatoes, or just steam it with some aromatics like I mentioned earlier.

What are your favorite recipes to make with it?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I tried that idea of having cabbage in place of pasta, but have previously found I feel hungry in a very short time. When that didn't work, I took to buying these sushi type rolls that use cabbage, carrots and other veg only that I got from Marks and Spencer. Those were delicious, only 200 calories per pack and filling but very expensive!

At home, I like to have cabbage steamed, but not cooked to a mushy state. I much prefer my veggies al dente. I also like it in coleslaw. I grate it and mix it with raisins and grated carrots, throw in a few crushed cashew nuts, season lightly and dress with some creme fresh.......delicious :)

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like to steam my cabbage with some dill weed, onions and rosemary spices just to the point of soft. I don't like mushi cabbage. Fresh cabbage chopped up in a salad mix is also good. I recently tried an Asian Ginger dressing I like poured over steamed veggies, very good.

4. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Sauteed cabbage is good. Someone once hipped me to cooking it in a pan with a little fresh bacon grease and sliced red onions. I might add the bacon to make it an entree. I would imagine it would taste just as good with turkey bacon.

5. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just the other day, I had so many things in mind when our housemaid asked me of what to buy in the market. Not really for the expenses but I was not in the mood to think so I decided to have corned beef with cabbage. After sauteing the corned beef, I just mixed the chopped cabbage. Our housemaid couldn't come to terms of what dish was that. But when she started eating, she said it was delicious.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard this called a "peasant dish" but who I like the taste. And it's pretty easy to make too:

Cabbage and Rice Recipe:

Cook the rice as you normally would.

Cook the cabbage separately. You can boil it, fry it — how you cook it is up to you.

And your cheap meal is done.

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    One of my favorite ways of using cabbage is to use it in place of vine leaves - especially as its extremely versatile when used this way - as not only can you stuff the leaves with almost anything that takes your fancy - from taramasalata, hummus, rice and vegetables to any variations of meat or fish - but they're great served either hot or cold as appetizers or main meals and extremely delicious too.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just stir fry cabbage with bacon and onions until everything caramelizes. The bacon and onions bring out the sweetness of the cabbage. Some people throw in a little soy sauce or matchstick carrots. As long as you have bacon and cabbage, you can fool around with the other ingredients.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Asian recipes are my favorite when it comes to cooking with cabbage as a main ingredient because they are usually very cheap to make and also very quick and easy as well. One of my favorites just needs to be stir fried with oyster sauce with a few of your own choice ingredients and finished off with a spritz of water to steam the cabbage and thin out the sauce a bit. Another great one is to do stir fry which is also very cheap even though it requires just a bit more ingredients since you are only mostly adding vegetables like carrots and snow peas.