Reclaimed Building Materials

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Rosyrain • Feb 12, 2017.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Do any of your purchase reclaimed building materials to do projects around your home? We are just starting a remodel and I am going to be buying some used windows for my garden shack as well as reclaimed barn wood to do an accent wall in the dining room. I love the old rustic look and want to have real distressed materials to work with.

2. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    If I had more options for doing so, I definitely would buy as many reclaimed materials as possible. We don't have a lot of choices near here. There is a Habitat for Humanity Restore about an hour away. I need to go there.

There are old barns all over the place. I'd probably have to contact individuals to get reclaimed barn wood. I'm jealous that you have someplace handy to buy that kind of stuff. ;)

Are you going for a "Fixer Upper" farmhouse look? I love that show. I don't like every single thing, but overall, I find that look very pleasing.

3. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    We bought a farm this year and I am redecorating my home to give it the old farm house look. I live in a rural area and you can purchase reclaimed materials in abundance and save money doing it. I will be so excited to see my house when we are finally done with it.

4. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    I remember seeing some of your old posts (at least I'm pretty sure it was you) when you were getting ready to buy a house. I'm glad it all worked out for you. A farm, how nice. I'd love to have a big, old, farmhouse with a wrap around porch. Having land is always nice too.

I'm sure it will be beautiful. I'd love to hear more about your projects as you progress. I love the reclaimed wood art, furniture, everything. It really makes a house feel like a home to me.

So, do you buy the stuff from individuals or are there lots of places to shop for it? We do have a good number of antique stores and stuff (pricey though), but not much in the way of shopping for raw materials.

5. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It is inviting indeed to have some those reclaimed materials for putting up a residential building in the farm particularly. It is too sad for me for I don't live in a farm or I don't have a farm neither. What I used to get for the repair or reconstructing or our simple house is the miscut lumber for it cost less compared to a clean lumber. If I am running out of miscut lumber which is sold like a hotcake I have no choice but to buy a regular, dimensioned lumber.

6. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    Miscut lumber is a good choice as well. I used to always check the "scrap pile" at the home improvement stores. These days, places like Home Depot and Lowe's seem to want to sell even their scraps in lots though. The last time I went looking, they only had bundles of odd wood pieces, and each bundle was over $100.00.

I liked it better when I could just look through the pile and pick out what I could use, instead of having to buy the whole pile. I'll have to check with some of the smaller name home improvement stores and the lumber yard to see if I can get the good deals from them.

7. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    I do not have much of an idea regarding this. Our home is made by the builders, and they have used new materials only. There could be vendors who sell such reclaimed materials, but we never have inquired.

However, in remote areas people sell many stuffs when they renovate their homes. There is a market for these materials as some of the stuffs of olden days, like woods, are worth buying.