Recovering Chairs

Discussion in Home & Garden started by lizzief79 • Jul 13, 2015.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I have a six-seater dining table and the chairs are high backed faux leather. The cat has scratched them all over the years and they have had various other accidents (usually involving one of my four children) over the years. I can't afford new chairs and I am wondering about re-covering them. Is this a simple task or will it end up costing me more money than simply buying some new chairs?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Replacing the chairs obviously will be more expensive. Hiring someone to do the job for you would also cost you a bit of cash. This is one of those things you can do yourself. Take a look around on the net and you'll find tutorials or vids which can help.

Repair is possible with the help of a leather repair formula.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Replacing versus repairing is a good thread. This gives us the idea to ponder on. We bought a second hand divan from our bank when it conducted a garage sale. It was pretty old but usable and still looks good except for the upholstery. When we made costing estimates, we realized that we would be in the advantage if we just bought a new one. So what we did was to give that old divan to our laundry woman who was just so glad. And I bought a new one in its place.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Repairing items yourself is always good. If you have to take the time to learn a little skill than you maybe able to go out and help someone else do the same and make a few dollars from your new skill. You have saved some money and it is something you can do again and again. There are people making good money purchasing old chairs cleaning them up putting new materials on them and selling them.