Recycled flower pots

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Rob • Nov 10, 2012.

1. Rob

RobMember

Threads:
    If you love recycling, use some of your old stuff as flower pots and planters.
    Do you have your own ideas? ;)
    I have a small list of stuff that could be used:

- Tin cans. Not very beautiful on their own, but they can be painted or decorated. Soda cans, with the top cut off, could be also used.
    - Old shoes, such as sneakers or trainers
    - Rinsed-out milk cartons for temporary use
    - Toys, such as cars or broken toys that have a hollow inside
    - Stuff from the bathroom. Even a bathtub or a toilet bowl could be used to plant flowers. I've seen both and they were pretty funny.

#1Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Hey Rob! These are some really creative ideas that you've shared! I've never imagined using them as flowerpots. Anyway, how well do old shoes work since they actually absorb a lot of the water. I'm afraid the entire shoe would just turn into a huge mess of mold and fungi killing my plant if I were to try using that as a pot! I love the idea of using the bathtub and toilet bowl! Definitely a quirky decoration to anyone's backyard or garden! But I guess you would need lots of soil and seedlings if you are planning on using the bathtub! For me, I usually just use those huge cups from fast food restaurants, make a few holes at the bottom and use them as a temporary pot for nurturing my seedlings before replanting them into the ground. I just find it a waste to be throwing them away after a single use! Thanks a lot for this share again!

3. Rob

RobMember

Threads:
    Thanks for your comments :)
    I think you could put some plastic wrap inside the shoe, that way the canvas and paddings will stay dry and not get all moldy and stuff. You can also take the plant out more conveniently, when it's contained in the plastic "bag".
    Yes, actually the toilet bowl was seen on a roadside near someone's house. Pretty unique and even symbolic in a certain way!

4. LovelyLanie

LovelyLanieMember

Threads:
    Anything can be used as long as it has drainage holes in the bottom or the plant can get root rot from being too moist and water-logged. I use old yogurt cups to germinate my flower seedlings every spring. It's recycling and a lot cheaper than buying.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I came across this Pinterest site a few weeks ago that has some really neat ideas for garden recycling projects. Some of the ideas seem fairly simple to do and others can get you thinking about variations of their ideas that you could do. When I saw your post, I thought I would share it here.

6. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I have plants growing from water bottles and old pots with fancy handles they look lovely with flowers growing in them.. You just need to use a bit of ingenuity to recycle stuff. I have used big tins to cut out metal flowers, sprayed them in metallic colors and used the as garden decoration. You don't need to spend on garden statues and stuff.

#6Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used tin cans, milk cartoons, water bottles, cups anything I find that looks like it will hold a plant, if it does not have a drain hole I put rocks in the bottom to allow the water to drain so that the roots will not become water logged.

8. dgb1975

dgb1975New Member

Threads:
    Thanks for that share! My wife used Pinterest all the time for recipes, but I have never really looked at it till now. I found some great ideas! My favorites were a re purposed tool box, wash tub and some old dresser drawers. I would have never thought about using them for planters, and the look great.

9. adam24

adam24New Member

Threads:
    This green project keeps plastic milk jugs out of the landfill and provides and pretty and useful pot to plant flowers in.

10. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    Tried to use big water bottles for flowers. But it didn't work well. Maybe i can try some other ways you mentioned.

11. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I am trying to avoid using plastic so I have been using the paper board cartons I get at the salad bar; they hold up very well to watering. I've also started seeds in little paper cups and planters made from toilet paper tubes. I have some young plants in emptied soup cartons (I don't drink milk) as well. I have one plant in a soda can and I'm planning on using large food/coffee cans as I can collect them and glass jars.

12. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    I love all the different ways people are planting now. It's so creative. And of course, it's good for the environment to recycle. Some great ideas I've seen are:
    -old dressers and chests,
    -tea pots and cups,
    -TVs,
    -pianos,
    -plastic soda bottles,
    -boomboxes and old stereos,
    -egg cartons,
    -egg shells,
    -and even bras... LOL.

13. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I'm thinking of making my own pots made from wood palettes. I saw some cool designs on Pinterest and I've been thinking of using those designs because they seem very eco-friendly and nature themed. I'm a nature lover by the way so I really love these kind of stuff.

14. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Shoes storage bags make awesome vertical gardens.
    th?id=H.5050251057759049&pid=15.

15. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I love this idea, Maddie! I have been looking for a canvas bag in order to do this with herbs. My aunt has a bag with mesh pockets and I was thinking I could also use one of those and just line the pockets with brown paper or coffee filters. I'll have to have another look around; thanks for the reminder!

16. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Good on you.. may be you could use some denim material that would be porous and good for your herbs. I would thinking of lining it with plastic before I add some kind of cloth or hemp material. This way you can keep your herbs purely organic and avoid leaching from the plastic.