Recycled plastic clothing

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by maddie • Mar 2, 2013.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Would you ever wear recycled/upcycled plastic clothing? There are many interesting looking attempts at this.. but i am not sure I would wear one of those... nless ofcourse it is a raincoat :)
    I would be happy to put recycled plastic to other uses. What is your take on this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    That last one especially looks like you'd have to have an occasion to wear it. I could see wearing something like that on stage to the right kind of show (assuming, of course, it was easy to move around in) but I can't think of where in "real life" it would fit.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Um, I'm definitely going to pass on this.

I like seeing when other people make new creations out of old, used up products, but plastic just doesn't seem right for clothing usually. I don't think it looks very good and I doubt it's very comfortable either.

4. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    It seems a little Lady-Gaga-esque, doesn't it? Clothes like that really do have to be on stage and nowhere else.

5. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I don't know where you would wear this type of outfit to except when it's raining. It does look like something Lady Gaga would wear on stage but regular people, I don't know where this would fit in. Although, it looks beautiful but it might tear easily.

6. tweety23

tweety23Member

Threads:
    No, I don't think I'd ever wear this. It kind of look a little tacky in my opinion.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This isn't practical for everyday wear because it would rip, and it would be uncomfortable and sweaty to wear. But for a sci fi convention or anime convention, or even going to Burning Man or a rave, I would wear something like this.
    At Burning Man, half of the people are naked, in drag, dressed like ravers or wearing some kind of costume so no one would pay any mind to my plastic princess dress.

8. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    LOL, at least you would give it a try. I wouldn't even try it for the heck of it. How about this garbage bag couture??

plasticbagdress.

9. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Isn't Burning Man in the desert? Wouldn't you be terribly hot wearing a plastic dress in the desert?

10. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is an artistic expression related to fashion, but is far from becoming a wardrobe for daily life. However it is undeniable creativity of people dedicated to this type of art. These are alternatives that combine the vanguard in the design and care of the environment. You don't need to perform outlandish costumes. On various websites there are easy ways to convert plastic into fashion accessories (handbags, jewelry, hats) and these are alternatives that are available to any housewife. :D

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This type of thing is more about making a statement than being everyday wear. I like the second (far right) dress in the OP, but I don't know where I would wear something like that. The bottom piece is really nice, but not my style.

I found a very interesting video about how plastic bottles are turning in to clothing. it's a little over 5 minutes, but I found it fascinating.

[video=youtube_share;zyF9MxlcItw]http://youtu.be/zyF9MxlcItw[/video]

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, it is in the desert, but compared to some of the stuff people wear , a little plastic dress is nothing.
    Look how much clothing these Burning Man attendees are wearing in the desert.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    This is very creative. I am thinking like the others, this seems like it would be hot and sweating wearing this type of outfits. They are very nice and well put together. I wonder how durable these are and how do you wash them? It is a lot that comes to mind when I see these designs. It seems like these are one time designs. I am sure you can recycle them again and create another design.

14. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    It is creative , I agree. Very creative.. but creativity could be put to practical use. These people may wear it once in their life time and trow it in the trash can again. That isn't a practical solution to recycling or upcycling plastic then why do it? IT doesn't help the environment. You could always use them creatively in other ways that is of use to others..like hats or bags
    like these
    [​IMG]

#14Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  15. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Those are all interesting and creative, Maddie. I could never wear a plastic dress though because it would just be too hot. Most of my clothes are cotton because of the breathability of the fabric as well as the easy care. The other issue I think I would have with a plastic dress, like that last one in your original post, is the noise it would make every time you moved. That would drive me crazy!

16. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    LOL :) you are right about the noise factor.. and the noise if you had some wardrobe malfunction.. LOL :D I love cotton too.. it is easy on your skin and in summer it keep you cool and less sweaty. Plastic isn't really anything to be worn on your skin.

17. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Maddie, after hurricane Katrina, an organization here started this fashion show of upcycled clothing and one year the theme was blue tarp because of all the blue tarp covered rooves after the storm. Of course, people had costumes made from blue tarp during Mardi Gras as well. I found this photo from one of the local schools showing dresses designed by students.

IMG_8994.JPG