Recycling in the Garden

Discussion in Home & Garden started by YorkshireLass • Oct 1, 2012.

1. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    I reuse a lot of stuff in the garden rather than throwing it away, like when I rarely buy soft fruit in a plastic punnet, I use it for seedlings. I also use toilet roll tubes to plant seeds into, then they can be put straight into the ground and the cardboard composts.

Does anyone else have any ideas for what to recycle in the garden? I don't like to throw anything in landfill unless absolutely necessary, and I love to save money too!

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I found this on Pinterest and when I saw your post it reminded me of it. There are a lot of good creative ideas on it and it helped me come up with a few ideas on my own. I'm not sure if this is exactly what you had in mind but hope it helps.

3. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    The garden is the site of our home that offers more possibilities for recycling. In fact, it's the place where the balance between nature and urbanity reaches its peak. It's an ideal place to experiment and try new things. There are lots of interesting ideas to implement recycling processes. One of the most classic is the composting: all of our waste can become an inexhaustible source of energy for our garden´s plants. Also, we can make pots for flowers, or small containers where you can feed the birds. Everything depends on our creativity and the place that we have available. Anyway, in the smallest spaces can develop great ideas for recycling. :D

4. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    I found that I could re-use my 2L pop bottles and any large juice containers as a self-watering system. This worked best when I was on holiday for a few weeks this summer, but I did leave the bottle out all summer.

First wash the bottle, remove the cap/lid and then poke a very small hole in the bottom of the bottle.

You then have to bury the bottle a few inches in the ground close to your plant. Fill the bottle with water and it will slowly imbue your garden with liquid.

Then at the end of the season, you can gather your bottles and send them on down the line to recycle!

5. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    Thanks Dissn_it, some of those ideas on Pinterest look lovely! My recyling doesn't always look so pretty unfortunately!

Bloomatic, I agree that the garden offers so many more opportunities to recycle, I guess it's partly because when nature starts to take over it can make old and ugly things look much better than they ever would in the house! I make compost which really is the best way to recycle, and cuts down hugely on what I have to through away. It's always nice to hear new ideas that I haven't thought of before though.

Just seen your post FlanneryCam, that's a great idea thanks! Brilliant idea particularly for pots which dry out so fast.

6. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the reminder! I had forgotten that I had brought home a few days' worth of coffee grinds from my mom's and I left them sitting out (in a zip bag) and needed to put them in the fridge until I am ready to use them. I have put them directly on top the soil of my blueberry bush before, but I just put down a layer of pine needles and a layer of compost so coffee grinds at this point might be overkill.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I put coffee and tea and banana peels in the garden. Egg shells are good to go into the garden also.

8. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Hi guys, I'm thinking of planting some vegetables for my garden. Can you recommend some that I can plant withou the need to buy seeds? I mean, our family is always buying vegetables and I'm thinking of planting them straight away without seeds.

9. LovelyLanie

LovelyLanieMember

Threads:
    You can clean and dry tomato and cucumber seeds to plant instead of buying them. Carrots are biennial, which means if you leave one in the ground, it will go to seed the next year; that is if you can wait that long to harvest seeds. You can buy ginger and plant it right in the ground and it will produce more ginger because it is actually a rhizome and not a root. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

10. dhrynio

dhrynioMember

Threads:
    I add coffee grounds to my soil. When I went away for a long weekend last year I set up several 2l bottle self watering systems! They worked quite well. I stored them in my shed to use next year!

I did some seeds in toilet paper rolls and also used toilet paper rolls around the bottom of my alpine strawberries to keep then upright when they were small and keep slugs away.
    I try to find ways to reuse things as often as I can!

11. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Old pots and pans are painted and restyled to be my garden containers.
    Food scraps like the head of an onion, a pod of garlic, a head of a carrot, parsley etc can be regrown in containers and you could have fresh vegetables.
    Coffee and tea grounds are awesome manure for your plants. Banana peels make your roses bloom in abundance. compost your kitchen waste.
    Use broken building material.. especially tiles and stones to pave your garden paths..
    The possibilities are endless.

12. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    Ah yes, your mention of building materials reminded me - if you have any pots of plants you can use broken up crockery/bricks/old terracotta pots etc you can put them in the bottom to help increase drainage. It also saves on compost which is handy too!

13. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I punched holes in coffee and soup cans today to use as planters. I had some plants in tp tubes that were ready to go in a larger container and I still have more to go. I chopped up some banana peels for use in potted plants and to make liquid fertilizer. I also have food growing from food scraps and I'm having a lot of fun at it.

14. johne1234

johne1234New Member

Threads:
    Hi ! your ideas are such goods i like it . but sorry friend i have no any idea to give you .