Red Lobster or Long John's Silvers?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by cookiemonsterv16 • Mar 31, 2014.

1. cookiemonsterv16

cookiemonsterv16Member

Threads:
    Red Lobster or Long John Silvers?

I Really do like to eat fish every now and then so I tend to go to Long John Silvers a lot more than Red Lobster mainly because there is no Red Lobster in my area where I live. I've only been to Red Lobster twice and we had to drive an hour or so which is not that much, but Long John Silvers is only about a 10 minute drive.
    With that said I really do like the food at Long John Silvers it is really good. As far as Red Lobster the two times that I have been there I have really liked it a lot to the point that I wish they would make one close by where I live so I could go more often. The only bad thing about Red Lobster is that it is a lot more expensive than Long John Silvers, but I do have to say it is worth it because they food tastes so delicious. I tend to get fuller a lot quicker when I eat at Red Lobster the food is just so good I try to avoid the appetizers because I end up feeling like I just ate a meal afterwards.

So I think it really has more to do with convenience as far as distance because its not so much that I like the food more than the other, but the fact that I only have to drive 10 minutes to Long John's compared to an hour drive to Red Lobster makes it an easier choice for me.

Which one do you prefer and why?

#1Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  2. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Well, probably Long John Silver's for close-to-the-same-reason: Red Lobster is more of a 'formal dining, money-is-no-object' place, while Long John's is way-more cost-effective and more 'fast food.'

Asking which I prefer is like asking if I prefer 'McDonald's' or 'Steak & Ale.'

3. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    It's comparing apples and oranges. They are two totally different things. Long John Silver's is a cheap, grease-filled, fast food place, while Red Lobster is a more formal, pricey, sit-down to eat place. They aren't comparable at all. I have never been to Red Lobster, as I am not a seafood fan. I like some stuff from Long John Silver's, but their food is absolutely the greasiest, soggiest food out of any fast food place I know, so I always hate myself after I eat there.

4. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    I'm a fan of both, but like the poster above me said, it really is a matter of taste. If I wanted something fried and pretty cheap, I'd go to Long John Silvers. Their food is not too bad, actually. But if I want to dig into a lobster, I'd absolutely go to Red Lobster although there isn't one really nearby. Willing to spend more than $20 per person, go to Red Lobster. Willing to spend less than $10 per person, go to Long John Silvers.

5. canoe

canoeMember

Threads:
    Red Lobster has been struggling a lot these days so I wouldn't go there if I were you. I love lobsters more than anything but you can't help but wonder if Red Lobster may be using old, frozen lobsters to take care of the costs that are burdening them. They're hurting pretty bad and they'd probably try to do anything to get out of bankruptcy.

6. thriftyme

thriftymeMember

Threads:
    I would go to Red Lobster for the garlic cheese biscuits alone, they are so good! And, once you've had them, you will crave them in the future. I like Red Lobster's shrimp scampi and also their snow crab legs, but I am not a fan of lobster itself. At Long John Silvers, I like the combo dinners with fried shrimp and fish fillets, which are inexpensive but pretty tasty. There aren't many low calorie selections at LJS so it's not a good place if you are trying to lose weight. Red Lobster usually has several low calorie selections to choose from. Both restaurants are equal distance from my place, about 30 minutes away. I don't eat at either that often maybe twice a year for both.

7. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I really think you'e comparing apples and oranges here- you're talking fast food seafood vs. casual dining. There's nothing necessarily wrong with liking either or both but they don't really seem to be on fair ground for comparing, in my opinion. It is a lot cheaper at Long Johns, but for a reason. Overall preference is definitely Red Lobster, but I'd always go with the actual restaurant in a pick between things like that.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love Red Lobster! I haven't been in a while (over 1 year), but I loved their food! I don't have one really close to me now, so that is why I haven't gone in a while, so I wouldn't know if they are still as good as they were. I have never been to Long John's, so I couldn't tell how I like it.
    So between the both of them, I naturally pick Red Lobster!

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I agree with some of the other posts that mention them being entirely different. That's kinda like choosing between McDonald's or a nice steak house. Red Lobster and Long John Silvers both sell seafood, but they're entirely different when it comes to quality. One is a sit-down restaurant that costs quite a bit and the other is way more like fast food and is more economical.

10. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    I really don't think that these two places have enough in common to make a fair comparison because one of them is more of a fine dining establishment and the other is a fast food restaurant.

However, if someone would come up to me and ask if I would rather go to Red Lobster or Long John's, I would always say Red Lobster because they have really good food and it isn't all fried like the food at Long John's is.

11. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    It's been a long time since I've been to RedLobster, I stopped going there really because the food I found to be over greasy and pricey. Then I found buffets where it's all you can eat seafood and cheaper. Long John Silver's I went to a few times and I find their food really fatty and not the greatest. So I guess at this point I'm not into either.

12. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to say probably Long John Silver preferably for the price, Red Lobster the last I was there was really expensive, as mentioned above I think Red Lobster is mostly for formal dinning.

13. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    I personally prefer Red Lobster. Even though their portions aren't known for being very big, the food has generally been good. Can't really speak for Long John Silvers since I've never been to one. The only ones here in MD are 45 minutes away from where I live.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The Long John Silvers near us is actually really good - well as good as you can get with fast food. But the franchise owner of this particular location has always gone out of his way to make sure everything is cooked fresh to order, he never gives us any stuff that's been sitting under a heat lamp all day, or cooked in some old rancid oil. So it's like super crispy, steaming hot, and bright golden yellow when we get it. But my main gripe is their batter is so insanely salty and loaded with MSG that it makes it difficult for me to eat. I used to love it as a kid, but as an adult these days, it makes me feel ill after eating it. I give him props for running a super clean place and serving the food as it was intended to be served. It's just a shame because he doesn't get much business due to all the other places near him, like Chic-Fil-A and McDonalds.

I would agree that Red Lobster isn't really a fair comparison to fast food. I've always enjoyed my meals there, even though it's a chain restaurant with your typical underpaid jaded employees and a not so creative menu. I don't feel so bad eating some broiled fish or grilled fish, or steamed shrimp - since it's all much less processed than what you get at other restaurants.

15. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely prefer Red Lobster. Long John Silver's is really gross to me. You don't even get to choose the type of fish that you want. I'm always going to be weary of any fish restaurant that sells "One Fish" or "Two Fish" instead of flounder, tilapia, etc.

16. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    They have closed two Long John Silvers in my area. I hear nothing about them anymore but they were okay when they were here. However, between the two I would rather have Red Lobster. Now the Red Lobster in my area is always crowded, the service is barely okay and the food is super-salty but...my grandmother loves them! Neither my mother or I are big fans of most franchise restaurants but anytime my grandmother wants to go, her wish is granted.

17. LivetoErr

LivetoErrNew Member

Threads:
    I agree this question is comparing apples and oranges but I'll answer anyways.

There is no choice for me as I'm not a fan of fried seafood. I like mine grilled, steamed, broiled and, most importantly, not breaded. Having said that, I won't eat lobster at Red Lobster either. I have never been to a location (US and Canada) where it hasn't been over cooked rubber. When I go there I'll either order the $16.99 dinner deal that comes with soup, salad, meal and dessert or the king crab legs (which is double the price of the meal deal and no dessert). King crab is a hundred times better than snow crab. It, too, can be overcooked though and has been, by them, on occasion.

It saddens me people base their opinion of lobster on their Red Lobster experience. It's not supposed to taste like rubber. I have a friend who insisted lobster was terrible until she tasted a properly cooked one. She ate it once at Red Lobster and insisted lobster wasn't for her. She's a changed woman now. ;)

#17Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  18. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Sounds like a good mission: to direct people to properly cooked lobster. Where does one find properly-cooked lobster?

19. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I had Long John Silvers once and that was enough for me. I'm not a picky eater whatsoever, but something about fast food seafood just doesn't sit right with me.

Red Lobster on the other hand, is absolutely right in my wheel house. Especially if they have specials running like endless shrimp or something of that nature. And the rolls are always delicious.

20. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    I had Long John Silver's for lunch today! If I had to choose between Long John Silver's and Red Lobster, I would definitely go with Red Lobster. I don't even think the two are even comparable. However, I could use a couple of Red Lobster biscuits at the moment. I also love their Cesar salad as well! :D