Redbox Streaming

Discussion in Digital & Web TV started by dashboardc33 • May 8, 2013.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    The new Redbox streaming is out now. I just wanted to see how many people are using it? The movies and shows that are on there are VERY similar to the selection which is on Netflix. Plus in addition to that you get 4 actual DVD rentals all for only $8 a month. If you rent often from Redbox, the 4 rentals is like $6 alone. Which means it's only $2 extra for unlimited streaming. To me this is a good deal. I would definitely recommend this option if you are looking for unlimited movie streaming out there.

2. jodiann12

jodiann12Active Member

Threads:
    I've never heard of Redbox streaming before. I've of course heard of Netflix. I'm looking at the Redbox website right now, and as you said the set up is similar to Netflix. I will check it out to find out more about it.

3. JenVarsity

JenVarsityMember

Threads:
    It's actually called Redbox Instant. I am not a fan of Netflix nor am I a fan of this new Redbox thing.

Redbox beats Netflix's price at $8.00/month and they offer gaming in place of DVD rentals. Great.

Now for the not so great.
    1. Back in March, Redbox was working with Epix, which allowed them less than 5,000 titles to choose from, clearly Netflix has them beat here.

2. Streaming may sound easy, but it's not as easy as it sounds. Redbox isn't available on nearly as many devices as Netflix. It is available on Microsoft's Xbox console, iOS and Android devices, and a handful of Samsung TVs. However, Netflix allows thousands of Internet connected devices, including all major consoles and nearly every smart TV and DVD player that's been sold over the past few years.

3. Limited/No original content. While Netflix is streaming titles of original content, Redbox is not. The reason behind this, I believe, is to keep costs down. So if you don't care about original content, great, this will not be an issue for you.

In reality, it's great for someone "dipping their toes in" and still using traditional technology, but it will not hold up to customers who are looking for a wide selection of movies or new and exciting original content as well as those charging into the smart tv era.