Redecorating A (tiny) Bathroom

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Zyni • Dec 14, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So, I have a very tiny bathroom. I really haven't known what to do with it. I can't paint, because I'm currently renting. There isn't any storage. I need to have at least some storage, but I don't want to clutter it up and make it feel even smaller. Know what I mean?

I'm open to budget friendly ideas if anyone cares to offer some. :)

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a small bathroom, but high ceilings, so I added shelves around the top and put things in nice baskets. I had several for towels, another for cleaning stuff, and then stored things like soaps bathroom tissue on them. They are cheap to add, and also you don't cause much damage either. I also added a couple of mirror, so the room looked bigger and put up a hook rack to hang up towels. You can get them for a couple of dollars and are easy to take on and off. I put one behind the door and over the radiator.

3. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I like Theo's recommendation of adding shelving to small bathrooms for more storage. I did this in my former apartment's small bathroom. You can find brackets and boards to make your own inexpensive shelving at home improvement stores, or if you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore near you, they sell building supplies, including shelving for a fraction of the price at home improvement stores.

Also, is there storage under the sink? We added a piece of inexpensive, cute piece of fabric as a skirt underneath the sink and counter in our former bathroom, which allowed us to hide storage underneath.

As far as decorating goes, a simple painting, photo, or canvas could really brighten it up. Check thrift stores and discount stores such as Big Lots, Family Dollar, and Dollar General for inexpensive art. Or, to save even more money, make your own art and hang it or hang a favorite photo, quote, or map in an inexpensive frame. Pinterest has a lot of great ideas for inexpensive DIY artwork.

4. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Shelving is a great idea. I would like at Ikea's website. They have great products that can maximize a small space. Ikea products are relatively inexpensive and you can take it with you when you move. I've gotten some nice baskets there and a nice corner seat/storage space for my bathroom there. They have nice glass shelves that you could put in that wouldn't make the room look smaller and give you extra space to store things off the ground.

5. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There are shelving kits which are designed to stand over top your toilet - if you don't feel like drilling into your walls to install some shelving on them. These can provide some additional storage in lieu of just hanging a picture or some other decor over the toilet. Also, does the mirror in your bathroom have a cabinet behind it? If not, and the mirror is just flush with the wall, perhaps you can install a mirror cabinet over it? I like the idea someone else on here mentioned of placing a skirt around your sink, if there isn't storage under it currently. Perhaps you could find some sort of tiered hanging basket to hang in the corner of your bathroom for some extra storage? If there is a window in your bathroom and it's indented and/or has a deep base, you may be able to create some temporary shelving within that too. Some suction cup shelves inside your tub/shower area can also serve as extra storage for stuff like shampoo and body wash.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our bathroom downstairs also needs renovation. Although it is mainly used by the housemaid since we have our own bathroom in the second floor, I want it retiled and the faucets and fitting replaced with new ones particularly the shower. But the problem here is the craftmanship. If the Tiler is not good then it might just be a botched job. We are still looking for a good Tiler and still have no idea of the estimated cost.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I was going to use a skirt for the sink, but it really just seems to add bulk and make the space seem even smaller. This is the smallest bathroom I've ever had, ha ha. Instead, I made a folding screen of sorts out of large picture frames. I got them cheap at the thrift store, because they didn't have glass (I didn't want the glass anyway).

I put cardboard covered with wallpaper inside the frames and attached them together. They hide the ugly pipes and also give me a place to stash the plunger, toilet brush, etc. out of sight.

Next, I want to do a shelf above the door and maybe along the top of that whole wall.

8. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    Shelving is always a great idea, as is over the door storage. I've been looking into some ideas for small spaces myself, as I'm apartment hunting and getting the sense that most likely I won't end up with an abundance of storage space so I'll likely be in the same situation. Pinterest has a lot of good ideas for decoration and storage, plus the convenience of being able to save them all in the same spot for when you get around to actually trying a few.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also have a small half bath that needs storage. I found a few ideas on Pinterest using corner shelves to help hold some of the ideas I need to put someplace.

10. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Depending what your bathroom distribution is, there might be many solutions for both storage and decoration, have a sneak peek of this:
    c4f735b2cd80f5c0857fe89a5c927865.
    86500d1319584393-small-bathroom-storage-ideas-bath-storage-02.bathroom%20storage%204.

This page has additional DIY for small bathrooms,

I personally would like to implement this in my own small bathroom:
    bathroom-decorating-ideas-modern-ideas-19-on-bathroom-design-ideas.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I could spend all day on Pinterest, but then I wouldn't get anything done, ha ha. I love all of these ideas though, so thanks guys.

@MyDigitalpoint@MyDigitalpoint I have seen some of those on Pinterest. That shelf above the door is exactly what I want to do. The shelving units that go around and above the toilet look good, but they would never fit, unfortunately. My bathroom is that small... there are only a couple inches between the sink and the toilet and the toilet and the tub. There are similar units that can be hung on the wall above the toilet though.

12. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Also, floating shelves take up even less space, and they are attractive as well. This is something I am definetlygoing to get in the near future. I need to unclutter my surroundings, and I think this will help me with some of the items I have sitting around. I can display them more attractively. I have quite a bit of storage space in my bathroom already fortunately.

13. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    If you have a linen closet purchase a shoe pocket storage unit (usually made of cloth or plastic) that you can hang on the inside of the door or on the back of the bathroom door. Great storage for smaller items like soaps, toothpaste, lotions, q-tips... If it's too big to fit cut it down to size or check the dollar stores for something similar. Also corner units for tub/shower to hold bath items like shampoo, razors, loofahs...

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a small home that doesn't offer much storage, so things can get cluttered quickly. That's another project... ;)

I don't have an actual linen closet, but I do like the shoe bag idea. Thanks. I saw a cute crocheted version of this (where else? on Pinterest). I think it would look a bit nicer than the store bought ones, since it will be part of the room when the door is closed. I'm going for a kind of shabby chic look, so it could work.

15. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    We have two bathrooms, one is the shower and the other one is the toilet. So to maximise the small space of both, we put shelves in the walls. This way, you can put all your toiletries without eating up space in the floor or door. It works for us actually and we love the way its designed as well. Just be creative and you can sure find ways to maximise any small space.