Refurbished PCs and Laptops

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by ladybug • Jan 2, 2014.

1. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I've purchased my last 2 computers refurbished and I couldn't be happier with my decision to purchase them. There are some excellent Websites like Tigerdirect.com and Techforless.com that sell refurbished electronics. I bought an HP All-in-One Desktop PC a couple of years ago and a Dell Inspiron Laptop with a 17" screen that includes all of the bells and Whistles you could want in a laptop and they run beautifully. I also checked out Dells site just out of curiosity after I purchased my laptop to compare how much Dell wanted for the same machine and I had paid half of what Dell wanted for the exact same refurbished laptop. I did plenty of research before I purchased mine and the refurbished laptops and PCs are definitely worth taking a look at; especially when you consider the cost of a brand new laptop or desktop. They also have plenty of different manufacturers to choose from so you'll more than likely find what you're looking for. I think this is an excellent way for parents to save money when they're buying a laptop for their kids or for those going off to college.

2. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I see absolutely nothing wrong with buying PCs or laptops refurbished. I think that it is very important though to do your research and know what you're getting before spending the money. Not every state has a MicroCenter store but I would highly recommend this store for refurbished items. I've also heard from a few friends that TigerDirect is another great online store to try. If you don't quite have enough for a brand new laptop or PC definitely go with refurbished!

3. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    There is nothing wrong with getting a refurbished or used PC/Laptop. A refurbished model means that they restored it to what it was before. Therefore, you may get one that literally looks brand new even though it could have had major issues.

4. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    Nothing wrong with buying refurbished, definitely a preferable option to buying used anyway. Just make sure if you do buy refurbished you check the warranty, a few stores give a full 1 year warranty for any refurbished products. That's definitely the way to go!

5. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I think , personally there nothing wrong with purchasing refurbished items , you can really get great bargains and if you know about working on such items you can , have a perfect business buying them and re saleing them

6. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Ladybug, I agree.

Refurbished or used computers are inexpensive ways to bring technology to children (or yourself). Most computers depreciate greatly once you get them home. So, why not save money upfront when you purchase them.

7. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's a great idea to buy refurbished things, it's a great way to save money. As long as they work properly I see no difference between a refurbished and a new computer. I would have gone for refurbished too if they weren't so hard to come by at my place.

8. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that a refurbished computer is the way to go but it all depends on where you buy it from. If it is from a reputable source such as apple or something of the sort, then getting a refurbished item is not so bad. But if you get it from a not so reputable source, then the chances are high that the machine will eventually break on you and you will be stranded.

9. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    It all depends where you are buying them from. If it is a trusted site, sometimes you can get a factory refurbished computer which is always as good as new. I also tend to like refurbs to new ones as they fit my budget.

10. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I agree that it is a good idea to buy refurbished things like cell phones, and iPods, but not computers. In my experience buying a refurbished computer is a recipe for disaster. Computers are fragile things, and small problems are usually a sign of much more serious defects. Even if you go issue free in your first few months of owning a refurbished computer. You will eventually have to deal with those defects again.

11. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    If you have the choice to buy refurbished, I don't have anything against it. The choice is very limited though. That's why I mostly buy new.

12. Brad

BradMember

Threads:
    I remember my brother purchasing an Argos refurbished computer and he said it's unreal for the price. He paid around £300 for his laptop and he said that it had better specs than the Sony Vaio I have, the Vaio cost me £700. I think when you're buying laptops/computers, it's all about the brand, you pay more for a Sony branded computer than you would with a refurbished computer.

13. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    It depends exactly what they've done to it... usually they don't tell you, so it's a bit of a game of luck. But usually, there's nothing wrong with it, it was just in a display case or something... The first laptop I ever bought was absolutely perfect. It lasted me five years running perect till I decided to buy a new one, just for a larger hardrive. Then my new one broke while my original was still running. So I bought a third one and then that one broke, again while my original was still running fine almost seven years later. I decided I would take the screen from the original to fix the faulty screen on my new one, and everything worked out. The crazy thing is that the original laptop was refurbished and the new one were brand new. I never payed more than 600 bucks for any one of them, and the original should have costed about 1500, and so from now on I think it shall be refurbished... all the way for me.

14. costin

costinActive Member

Threads:
    Used, refurbished or new, all gadgets have to come up with at least 12 months of warranty. If in the case of a new item, the retailer generally offers it, in the case of refurbished items sellers tend to forget about it, so it`s essential to ask for it, to avoid unpleasant troubles.
    My first computer was a refurbished desktop, because my family couldn`t afford a new one. Me and my sisters did homeworks, played, listened to music for years. Now it`s somewhere in the attics of my home, waiting for children to start playing:)

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    By using refurbished electronics toxins that are used for the making of computers is limited.

Although several PC manufacturers sell refurbished units through their own outlet sites, only Dell's and HP's sites are recommended by Consumer Reports. Two manufacturers, we tend to see a ton of coupons for Dell's outlet site, taking 15% to 40% off laptops, desktops, tablets, and monitors. HP's outlet site has a wealth of discounts on its goods. However, be aware that you probably won't be able to customize the system configuration of that refurbished PC you're looking at, and "you don't get the latest and greatest specs on a refurb, even a good one," according to CNET.

16. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    Buying refurbished gadgets has been quite a hit-and-miss for me. I have bought a few number of refurbished gadgets over the years and I have good experiences with some of them. For instance, I bought this refurbished laptop that lasted for 3 years and cost me quite less then a new. And I also bought a refurbished phone which broke after a year.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that it's ok to buy refurbished pc's as long as they will last for years. From my experience, we bought before a 2nd hand pc and it was working fine at the start, but it was prone to having hardware problems and crashes. That pc lasted for 4 years only. So I think that it really depends on the quality of the refurbished pc/laptop that you will buy.

18. Scottf13

Scottf13Member

Threads:
    Refurbished electronics are great if you get them from a place with a known reputation for good products. The testing that has to be done to ensure they will work for at least a year often means that the device will last for several years. I purchased a PS2 that was refurbished and it lasted five years. That's a good buy for roughly 1/3rd the price. I'm happy if a computer lasts 3 years at this point.

19. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I see no problem with refurbished, its cheaper! If I'm going to buy a Desktop, I'd go for refurbished rather than brand new. But for laptops, I'm not that into refurbished. Having a desktop,you can upgrade it and fix some issues arising since its kind of dated, but for a laptop, its hard. If the store where you got the refurbished laptop is reputable, then its good, but if you got it from a shady guy in a stall, then you'll better think twice. If I'm on a budget I'd go for refurbished. Ain't nothing wrong with being cheap once in a while.