Regifting

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Nakhash • Aug 21, 2012.

1. Nakhash

NakhashMember

Threads:
    Who else out there is a regifter? Don't be shy or embarrassed to admit it!

I get gifts all the time that are nice but don't suit me for one reason or the other. If I can exchange it I do, of course, but sometimes that's not possible. I keep a small supply of gifts (I keep the card because I don't want the recipient to be the gifter or a family member/close friend who will recognize the gift.

Chintzy or not? I'd rather someone else got use from the item than it sit in my closet or drawer collecting dust or going out of style. And yes, I know I can just donate it but...

2. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    LOL. I just did this and I'm not a fan of regifting because personally I think it's tacky HOWEVER if the gift is still in the original packaging, looks nice and tags on, I'm doing it. I actually just did this. Time are really tight and hubby's not working an a good acquaintance friend of mine is getting married. I just got an invite to the bridal shower, so since I can't spend a lot of money I came up with the idea to buy a couple small items from her registry combined with a few leftover items I have around the house. I ended up making a beautiful gift basket with unused new bath items, lotions, candles, shower gels, bath salts, and couple items from her registry. I found an unused gift basket I got from someone to put everything in. I only spent $20 but the basket looks like 3x that in value. The only thing I need to buy is pretty meshing or something to wrap the basket in from a fabric store. I'm sure that will be about $5. I see no problem with re gifting tastefully, lol.

3. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    This is a habit that I do not practice too. Generally, I value all you give me. The exception is with the clothes that I get. When there is no possibility of changing the size, try to keep the clothes and give it to someone else or donate. I don't think it's wrong, and that does not imply contempt or something. Of course we can't go through life giving everything they give us because it would be seen as an act of rudeness. Occasionally and judiciously, is possible. It all depends on the person receiving the gift and the person you want to give it. :D

4. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the gift and the circumstances. If I really don't want the gift and can't return it, then I may regift it in a Secret Santa situation. That's about it. I usually donate unwanted items to a white elephant sale.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I don't see anything wrong with regifting. If you can't gain any benefit from the gift yourself, then pass it on to someone who will appreciate it. Then spend what you would have spent on the present on something you really want and can make use of. It's just another aspect of recycling, and as long as the giver doesn't know that you've regifted, it really doesn't matter.

6. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think there is anything wrong with re-gifting. I don't believe in wasting, so I love the idea of re-gifting. However, it should be done tactfully. For example, don't give the gift back to the person who gave it to you or anyone that person might know!

7. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I never would re-gift I think it's just lazy. You find something that you don't use and you give it to someone else that's just low. I'm sure I've received gifts that were re-gifted, and I looked at the person with that " You bought me this?" I know some of my friends do that all the time, and they claim the person will never know. Most of the time it's obvious because the gift is something you don't even remotely want. "Thanks for that breadbox you bought me the other day, I really needed one of those... NOT."

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It really depends on what it is. I've regifted those generic bath product sets before. I have dozens of them and I give them out frequently myself as a generic gift for someone I don't know what they really like, but feel like I should get them something.

If it's a gift that was personal for me, I wouldn't regift it. I might donate it after a set amount of time, but I wouldn't give it to someone else, I don't think.

9. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I love to regift. i just have to remember not to regift to the person that gave it to me. Because I have so many kids and they love to buy me gifts that I would never use. I just thank them and pass them onto someone that will use the item. That helps keep the clutter down at my house.

10. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I dom't think that I have ever done thos. Somehow I have the fear that the gift will wind up back with the giver, so I do not chamce it. The other thing, if the giver asks you how do you like what they gave you, what do you say? Yes, I like it, when it's gone.

11. clewand550

clewand550Active Member

Threads:
    I don't think that I have ever re-gifted anything that I have received. I would be afraid that the person that bought it for me would find out. I would also feel uncomfortable knowing that I didn't buy the gift that I am giving to someone.

12. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I do this. Especially with some of the gifts that my baby receives. Like sometimes, he'll receive something that is way too big for him or shoes that are too small.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I regift not to disrespect people but to find the right home for a gift. Sometimes I receive a gift that would be perfect for someone else. To me, giving that gift the right home is a way of being loving. I don't like to be wasteful anyway. If I didn't regift something, I would donate it to charity.

14. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I usually do not regift actual presents but if the circumstances were right, I will do it. Now, gift cards, that's another story. I have given gift cards that I have received to other people alot. I get them and know I will never use it so will regift them to someone that I know will be able to use it.

15. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    I persoanlly return or try to sell (online) a gift I don't like. I Am afraid to regift because my friends and family are all pretty close knit, and it would likely come out that I regifted something. I have in the past saved toy gifts that my kids already had, and used those at other kids birthday parties. One year I had 10 presents that were doubles so I kept the in a closet and didn't have to shop for little kids birthday parties that year.

16. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with ACSAPA, I would rather regift than give it to charity. Some gifts are better for some other people and will be appreciated better by them. I hate to see my gifts just sitting around forgotten, I would rather it be given back to me so that I could get my money back. Now I just give money to certain people.

17. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    I am not a re-gifter. The fact that I know its a re-gift bugs me..imagine if the person I give the gift to finds out? I would die of embarrassment. Much of the time if it is a gift I do not want myself, I just donate it to charity or throw it away in the trash. I know it is the thought that counts, but when I buy a gift, I make it personal. Someone gave me VERY old chocolates once. I could tell they were re-gifted just because they tasted so stale and I did not like that, so if you re-gift, be careful with expiry dates if it is edibles. I did not think chocolate could go bad, but yes, it tasted like old chocolate to me lol.

18. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't done it, but I have been given a gift that has been regifted. My stepdad's sister gave me a men's watch and cheap dollar wooden pearls that were hideous. I was so upset that she not only gave me cheap pearls, she gave me a guy's watch and she always gives me the cheap crappy gifts that she doesn't want. So I refused to say Thank You, each time.

19. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Regifting is a controversial topic for most. Most people would not want to admit that they always regift. This is due to the fact that most people have too much of an ego or they feel they don't want to hurt another persons feelings. I feel that there is nothing wrong with regifting because you are almost doing a favor to another person because you had no use for that gift in the first place.

20. Kam147

Kam147Member

Threads:
    I was not familiar with the concept of regifting until I met my wife and started going to her company Christmas party. This former employer always threw a very nice Christmas party, replete with a lot of very nice gifts to be given away during the "Chinese Christmas" gift exchange (a game that I ABSOLUTELY HATE and that everyone I know insists on every year). The rule for this particular party was that everyone bring a gift worth at least $25 to put into the pile. You would be surprised at the kind of crap that $25 SUPPOSEDLY buys, and I seemed to have a unique ability to end up with said crap, so guess what I did with it?