Regifting

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Nakhash • Aug 21, 2012.

1. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I don't see anything wrong with regifting because just because you don't like it, then it might be something that someone else loves. So regifting isn't bad at all. If you regift and that person doesn't like it, then they can or may know someone that would just fall in love with the item and give it to them. So the item won't be thrown away and will do someone some good.

2. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I have never regift but one thing I have done is sometimes I bought something for myself, that I never wore or used, and I turned around it gave it as a gift. I find nothing wrong with doing this, because its something that I did buy at one point. Like others I wouldn't regift because what if you did mistakenly give it to the same person. I remember my father, he never regift, now when he didn't like a gift he was just come out and ask if anyone else wanted it.

3. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    It's funny that you say this. We actually got a gift that was a regift and it didn't mind my boyfriend or me one bit. Here's the situation:

Very good friends of ours recently got engaged and threw an engagement party with their friends and families. They got a LOT of bottles of wine and champagne. Luckily, my boyfriend (who was asked to be a groomsman) and I did a little research and figured out a nice gift that wasn't a bottle of alcohol, haha! It was almost surprising because there was so much wine and champagne; in their "present room" of the home they celebrated in, there were just wine bottle bags everywhere, it was pretty funny. When we spoke with them after the party, they told us that there were just bottles everywhere in their apartment - all over the floor of the living room, in the bedroom... just so many bottles.
    They recently came over to our apartment. Both of them had come to the apartment in the beginning, on separate occasions, so this was almost like a "housewarming" for them. They brought over a bottle of wine as a gift and it was only much later that night when my boyfriend and I realized that they had definitely regifted a bottle! But, even though we knew that, it was a really wonderful gesture. We didn't have a housewarming party, we didn't make it seem like we expected a gift when they came, but it was honestly the thought that counted.

I know that not every situation will turn out like this, but I don't think regifting is a terrible idea as long as you are not tacky about it.

4. PubD

PubDMember

Threads:
    If I give a gift to someone I don't know well, I tend to give generic stuff... wine, chocolates or gift card. If those are re-gifted, who's going to care? If I know a person well enough to give something more personalized, and I happen to have an unopened gift that would be perfect for them, then why the heck not use it? If I know they need it or would love it, they won't care where it came from. I've gotten plenty of re-gifted presents, and I would never look a re-gifted horse in the mouth. :)

5. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    There is nothing wrong with regifting as long as you don't try and pass the gift off as something you actuallly purchased. It's good to regift; that way the item doesn't go to waste. Sometimes you get get multiple copies of things you already have or things you will never be able to use.

6. Rosa_Camilla

Rosa_CamillaNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, I've done this recently. My husband's cousin's wedding was on short notice and we did not have time to think out a nice gift for them. Then we saw our wedding gift which was a rice cooker. We could not use it because we still have the one at home and I hate to store it because it might get damaged or rusted, so best to give it away. It's brand new and it is an expensive rice cooker, too.

7. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    Regifting is fine as long as the gift is something nice or a gift you are fairly certain the recipient will like. I think it's actually wasteful not to regift something rather than let it sit and collect dust, or worse get thrown away. Or, you could just sell it on Ebay and buy a gift card.

8. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    That's another great idea, why not sell it on Ebay and that way someone may have been looking for that very item so it won't go to waste. There is always someone out there looking for what you don't want and it will be the perfect fit for someone else. So don't think what you don't like no one else does because there is somone that has been dying to get that item in a big way.

9. Rob

RobMember

Threads:
    That's why I prefer money gifts - people give me pretty useless items all the time and it really bugs me off.
    Basically, they have wasted their money on something I don't even like as a gift.

10. almari_011

almari_011Member

Threads:
    I do regift but not usually. I do it tactfully too. What I do is after receiving the gift I always open it carefully, and if I don't like the gift but I think my other friends/family members would love it I repack it back but I use another wrapper. So the product it still in good condition. :)

11. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I have regifted in the past, but I do not trust myself to do it anymore. I lose track of who gives me what sometimes, so I do not want to risk it!

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I also do it, especially when I receive liquor as gifts. I don't drink, so it would make sense that I give it to someone else. I just make it a point to give it to someone that the "gifter" doesn't know at all, or I risk getting caught, lol.

13. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Well, it depends on many factors if I will re-gift or not. I have done it in the past...more like passing the gift on really and not for a special holiday (like a birthday or Christmas). Alternatively, I will donate it to a charity store as I do not like keeping things that I will not use. Nothing wrong with re-gifting in my humble opinion.

14. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather return an item than re-gift it. That being said, many times, I don't have to re-gift because I have certain friends, who, if they see an item of mine in my house that has not been used, they help themselves to it, "You're not using it anyway."

I don't think re-gifting is a bad thing to do, especially if one is doing it so as not to let the gift go to waste. However, if one is doing it because they just don't want to buy someone a gift and therefore are being cheap...well, unless one is under severe financial duress, re-gifting for reasons of cheapness is just being tacky, imo.