Regular Aluminum Foil Or Heavy Duty?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Diane Lane • Aug 20, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As with most things, I find uses for both the standard aluminum foil and also the heavy duty version. I tend to keep both in The House, and will substitute the heavy duty if I run out of regular thickness foil. I like to use the heavy duty foil for really messy dishes. I just put a pan of chicken in the oven, and I lined the pan with heavy duty foil before I put the chicken in the pan, because I definitely don't want to have to scrub the pan, and also don't want to take a chance on the regular thickness foil tearing.

I use the heavy duty foil more when cooking, and the regular thickness foil more when baking, since baked goods tend to have a cohesiveness that cooked dishes don't usually have. I can often remove a banana bread or other such item in one piece, by picking it up via the aluminum foil. If i tried to do that with baked chicken, it would result in a big mess. Another use for heavy duty foil is for freezing items, including baked breads and other desserts, since the thickness gives added protection from freezer burn. I also pack items I'll be shipping or giving away as gifts in heavy duty foil, since it's more substantial.

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I am not sure I have ever bought heavy duty foil. Is it the same price? One foil I do prefer is the non stick foil, as we all know, items can sometimes stick to foil. Items you cook outside like barbecued chicken often stick to the foil especially if you forget to spray it before cooking. Sadly, the self stick foil costs more. Maybe if I was cooking for a crowd, I might try to look for the heavy duty foil..especially if it would save money.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When money was really tight, we tried regular aluminium foil (which I honestly believe is a grade or two inferior to regular foil as I know it!) and it was such a nightmare to work with! I absolutely hated it because grease and sauces would seep through and mess up the pans anyway. It was also so flimsy it would just keep tearing in sections you didn't want it to. IMHO it was a waste of money because we would them double up on it, but even then it didn't do a very good job. So now we're back to heavy-duty foil which we're very happy with. Plus we buy the 5 meter roll and it lasts forever :)

Thanks for the tip, @ Diane Lane....I never thought to use heavy-duty foil for freezing items or packing items ready for shipping shipping. It's very interesting and definitely something to bear in mind for future reference :)

4. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I do not have all that much experience with the heavy duty stuff, but to be honest I think that I could use it a little more than I think. I know that summer is coming to an end, but I cannot help but think back about all the times I was grilling and the foil ended up tearing or breaking. Especially with corn, and I am not sure what it is but the corn just always seems to break out of the foil and get more burnt than I would like. I might have to make it a point to pick up the heavy stuff, so thank you for sharing.

5. abonnen

abonnenActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use aluminum foil a lot but I always just use normal, its a dollar at the dollar tree and I get a lot in one roll. I usually just double it up in I need it a little heavier. I always have to be careful what type I get at the dollar store though becasue there is a kind that to me seems to catch fire easier then most.