Regular books vs eBooks?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Mayvin • May 5, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I still haven't gotten on the Kindle band wagon and prefer reading hard copies of books but I may change my mind in the near future. Which one do you prefer reading? Read that there was a library in Chicago that had only ebooks and was thinking that was an interesting concept and that it could be the wave of the future.

2. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    While most of us love the feel and smell of real books, not all physical books are available with a few clicks when we need them. Voracious readers will have to adjust to the offers of technology. Come to think of it, we want to bring as many books as we can during travel but the realities of weight and space may prevent us from doing so. Having a Kindle with hundreds of ebooks loaded in that light gadget does solves this specific issue.

It is obviously more economical to have ebooks nowadays. For the sake of general literacy, I am in favor of public libraries offering ebooks.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Definitely ebooks. Books take up too much space, and can be expensive. I'm not really a book lover to begin with, so I don't really appreciate the things that a physical book has to offer, like getting to turn actual paper pages.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer hard cover books but depending on the situation I use eBooks too. If I'm reading at home I like to do it from printed books. I find most of my books online with free shipping so I buy lots of them often. But let's say that I'm traveling. To carry with me a bunch of books is both unpractical and costly, thus, I read me some eBooks.

Reading printed books is slowly getting out of 'fashion' but I don't think I'll ever do a full eBook switch.

5. mjervey

mjerveyNew Member

Threads:
    I don't have a kindle or any sort of tablet yet. I'm still a student, so I'm lucky enough to have great access to lots of libraries and can get pretty much any book I want for free. Unfortunately, this luxury expires next year, at which point I'll probably break down and get an ebook, but I do love the feel of an actual book in your hands. I also feel it's important to have hard copies of your favourite books around, even just as a reminder of what you love, because it makes up a part of who you are.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Give me an ebook anytime. The beauty about ebooks is there so many free ebooks that you could read for an entire lifetime. So? Since i read only for pleasure I'll always choose the the free ebooks that also save me the inconvenience of having to get out of my house and drive to a library where I can read books without having to pay for them.

7. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    If I have the time and patience to sit down and read a book these days, I would rather read from a real book. E-Books are convenient, but I like the feel of a library in my home. I think it's nice that things have become very convenient with the invention of the internet, mobile devices and e-books, but I also feel that all of this convenience is making humanity taking many things for granted. As a writer and reader myself, I feel that it borderline dishonors the author that writes the book. Of course, that's just a personal opinion and not extended out to others.

8. scottguy

scottguyNew Member

Threads:
    I so much prefer having real books as it is very refreshing to just read off of paper but as with anything it's not always so simple. When I have to read books for class I often don't find out which book I need within enough time to get the physical copy, so in those cases ebooks are really very helpful. The drawback, however, is that they are often very difficult to cite, especially if they have flexible formatting which means that page numbers really mean very little in terms of identifying the location of a quote across different formats of the book.

9. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I personally love both types of books! E-books are really nice, because you can have a huge library in one small device and be able to carry it with you were ever you go! Real books are nice because, well, they're books. There's just something that can't be beat about having an actual psychical book in your hands. The only downside of e-books is that if what ever device you have them on gets broken, or corrupted or something else, and you don't have the titles backed up, you can lose an entire library. (Which is why I have double copies of all the books on my Kindle on my external hard drive. (; ) I think the downside of actual books is obvious. They can be very big and bulky, and you can only carry a few with you at any time.

10. ami560

ami560Member

Threads:
    I like having ebooks for certain things, especially classics as many of them are free public domain works. I do enjoy a good physical book every now and then, though what I'm really interested in is trying out audio books, especially for trade or text books.

11. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Both are great. There's just something about the whole process of opening a book with a cup of coffee and just relaxing. But the Kindle is also extremely practical and so convenient to have all the books in one place. And reading off the kindle is great as you can expand the text size and depending on what version you have, have a backlight to read in the dark as well.

All in all, if you're an avid reader, I would greatly recommend getting a Kindle. It makes reading so enjoyable and it's very easy to search for new books.

12. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I also don't have Kindle, but I'm planning on buying one. I read most of the time through my iPhone, through iBooks and overall it's very convenient because I can just pull it up each time I have spare time in between. I don't have to carry a book with me all the time. However, my only problem with that is that my phone battery drains so easily, so when I think I would need my phone to last longer, I try to avoid reading.

13. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I've been reading eBooks since the moment it first became a hit. At first, i was just reading through my computer with pdf files but finally got a Kindle at some point. I'm really thankful for ebooks because it makes reading so easy. :)