Reheating coffee

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Theo • Oct 13, 2014.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always make enough coffee for what I feel like drinking so maybe a couple of cups or half a French press (cafetiere) as it taste better fresh and hot.
    However, I visited a friend and she would always make a full cafetiere and then only drink a cup and then decant the rest and put it in the fridge. I would have a cup, but there was so much left over and I asked her why? She said she didn't want to waste it and I said just use less coffee and make half the amount.

Still, I found it strange as she is very well off (she owns 3 houses) and reheating coffee is just wrong and I would rather make a fresh one than reheat coffee.

Opinions on reheating coffee and is this normal behavior? As an espresso drinker, I only like short and strong coffee so quantity is not an issue, but strength is!

2. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Hm, I think it really depends. I only reheat coffee if I go and buy a cup and I don't end up drinking the entire thing. But when my boyfriend was staying over, in the morning he made a pot of coffee and later on in the day he reheated it and I thought it was a bit strange, I told him he could just brew fresh coffee and he insisted it was fine, that he does it all the time. I guess it just depends on the person, really

3. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I only drink instant coffee and in my family I'm the only coffee drinker so it's not really necessary for me to use the coffee maker. And although I drink about 5 to 6 cups a day, I prefer to make a fresh cup each time. As for re-heating coffee, I did try it before and didn't notice any difference in taste so for me - I don't see anything wrong with reheated coffee. :confused:

4. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I can't do it. It just tastes stale to me. I have become more accomplished at estimating the grounds to water ratio to make the exact amount we will drink, though. I have a keurig, but I just pour the grounds from a regular bag of coffee into a reusable "k cup" when I am the only one drinking coffee.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't mind reheating coffee either. Maybe she is just like me and doesn't pay much attention to the taste and quality of coffee. I can taste some difference in old and freshly brewed coffee, but I just don't mind. I don't even refrigerate it but now I think I might start to. It's partly why I drink instant coffee a bit more nowadays too because it's just much more convenient.

6. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I only reheat coffee if it's warm, but not when it's cold, ice-cold, when it is just gotten from the fridge. When it's cold, I would rather spruce it up a little more and drink it with that temperature than reheat it to make it as if it's just been brewed. I don't like drinking warm coffee. I don't feel its effect at all when I do. I don't get the pleasure I am after for by drinking coffee. So I thinking drinking coffee when it's warm becomes useless.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't reheat coffee because I think it affects the taste. But if I have coffee left over, I use it to make iced coffee or milkshakes.
    You can also freeze leftover coffee as coffee cubes so that your iced coffee doesn't get diluted by melting ice.
    I don't reheat coffee, but I don't waste it either.

8. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    It normally takes me a while to finish a cup of tea or coffee simply because I am always busy doing something and never really sit to finish it. :) I tend to reheat my beverages a few times before the cup is actually gone. I think I may take after my dad for that because when I was younger, I remember him doing that all of the time. :)

Danyel :)

9. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    My fiance drinks coffee like it's water. We probably brew six or seven pots a day because it's mostly all he drinks. If he happens to make a pot before bed and doesn't drink much of it I will reheat it for him rather than waste the whole pot to brew a fresh one. I can almost guarantee this is saving us money because If I were to dump and rebrew that is extra coffee and another filter and those things are costly. He drinks it just fine the next day so it seems like a good strategy to me.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Part of the drinking coffee process is the smell for me when it's being made, so I do taste the difference as I think fresh coffee does taste better. As I only like strong coffee with no milk I can taste the difference. I guess with milk it would be different, but personally fresh brewed is best for those who do not take milk or sugar.

I feel she was making coffee like making a meal and having 'leftovers' which again I think is something that should happen and not be done consciously. If you are a busy working mom maybe, but when you're retired as my friend is, you have time to cook and make coffee!!