Religious people at the door

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Strykstar • May 26, 2014.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That has never happened to me yet, but do they happen to be Mormons? Because the only religion I know that goes door to door to get new recruits as a rule of their religion are the Mormons.

2. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Oh Jehovah witnesses ha? They used to come to my door quite often until one day I had to tell them that they were in a denomination that altered God's Word. They read out of the New World Translation. This Bible states that Jesus was Michael the Arch Angel instead of the only begotten Son of God. I myself am Christian but I am Non-denomination and study from the King James Version which every new age Bible has altered.

3. johnnear

johnnearActive Member

Threads:
    Boy do I know that feeling, but it's different for me. It's my roommate who keeps on waking me up at 7am because she wants me to go to mass with her. I'm not much a religious person nor am I against it but sometimes people should realize that not everybody believes on what they believe.

4. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    I've never really had problems with those kinds of people but if they're going to be knocking at my door at ungodly hours of the day then I might just become the rudest person ever. I'm a fairly religious type but I won't tolerate those kinds of things.

5. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    It doesn't happen here, at all, and I'm grateful for it. Well it happens when there's been an accident and someone needs help, but I'm all up for that.

But Jehovah's witnesses and such seem to be quite an often situation in the States, from what I've read on the internet. Are any of those people really going over the top? Like trying to enter your home by force, or something similar?

6. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    They don't really enter your home, much less by force. They only enter when you invite them in, they are usually very polite about that, they block the door with their foot just to get a few more words into the conversation, but then they go away if you say so.
    The main problem with them is really the annoyance factor, I don't see how it's relevant nowadays to ask if people know about Jesus, who hasn't?

7. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Oh I remember when I was a kid back then my Mom would invite those people in for dinner and they would just talk about their religion all the time and they would always tell you what's right or wrong (not all of them) My family was pretty religious but I'm not one to just go about shoving my beliefs to people at 7 in the morning.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I find Jehovah Witnesses are the main culprits of doing this in the UK. I normally just say "No thank you, I'm an athiest" and shut the door. They have started using a new trick of having a little girl knock at the door believing nobody will close the door in their little faces - they were very wrong! :D

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They wouldn't do that in the US because there are a lot of laws about pedophiles and sex offenders not being allowed around children. There are constantly news stories on TV about children being kidnapped. One pedophile killed himself because he was caught on camera on the show To Catch A Predator and that ended the show's successful run.
    But my point is, in the US if a little girl came knocking on someone's door they would say "Where are your parents? I'm calling Child Services." or "Go away. I'm not allowed to be within 200 yards of a minor." Americans are uncomfortable even talking to other people's children.

10. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    What I usually say is "I'm a Christian and don't like people who tell lies in the name of God. Try actually reading the Bible." For Mormons I say "You know that the Book of Mormon was originally published as a novel that Joseph Smith checked out of the Library, and then plagiarized?

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I have actually had full discussions with these people when they have knocked on my door in the past. We debated back and forth. I still didn't buy their side by the end, and they still didn't buy mine by the end so... nowadays I open the door, smile, and the moment they begin to preach, I tell them I am not interested and close the door.

12. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    i'm not a big fan of people trying to spread their religion door to door. i have no problem with religion but i think it's best left to spread your religion in the church pews on sundays. i think it's a lot more effective than bothering people at their homes where they have a lot of other things going on. it's annoying in my opinion.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    Me neither. For me, it is very intrusive and very very pushy. I understand that these people feel as though they are saving lives by spreading the word. But most of the time that message or feeling gets lost in the whole 'I am right and you are wrong,' thing. Not only that but it is NEVER a good time to be accosted on your doorstep by bible bashers. I am busy most of the time, even when I am doing nothing, I consider myself too busy to stand on my doorstep and hear what these people have to say.

14. preacherbob50

preacherbob50Member

Threads:
    Most of the time a simple, I'm sorry, I'm busy will get the missionaries off of your door step, but there are indeed some who get real persistant. There are generally only 3 faiths that will come knocking. Jehova Witnesses, Mormons, and 7th day Adventists. I simply tell the stubborn ones I am a Bapti-cost (or so some of my students say) and they say thankyou and walk away. A spirit filled Baptist will do it every time.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    That I know of, I have never had a Mormon come knocking on my door. And I am glad for that too, because out of the three religions that you have listed above, that is the one that I have the least respect for. And it is the one that I deem as the most 'evil.' I have had the Jahova Witness people, as well as the Seven Day Adventists come to my door. They seem a little less crazy in their beliefs, to me. But still too pushy for me to even want to listen.

16. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    Years ago I used to sit and talk with them. I studied with both the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons that used to come to the door. I quite enjoyed the conversations and learning various beliefs and why they believed it. Later, I realized that if you do not want to be bothered, all you need tell them is that you worship the devil. Another tactic is to tell them you are already of the same faith and visiting or just moved there. They usually move on to the next door and do not feel offended.

17. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I live about two blocks away from a Jehovah Witness Hall, and they always walk my street, knocking on doors. I just made it simple for them. I never answer my door. They can't fool me with their name tags!

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    You used to sit with them? So that means that you invited them in, or do you have a porch outside with table and chairs lol :p One of the things I enjoyed was the debate aspect of it. It may sound a little abrasive, but I enjoyed discrediting some of their beliefs? Lol!! Discrediting some of their beliefs with my own, adding explanations for why I believe what I believe. You can often see the frustration and or disappointment in their faces when they realize that there is no way that they are going to convert you to their way of thinking. It is rather funny.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are Mormons the ones that have multiple wives and make them wear old fashioned clothes? Are those LDS people Mormons? I don't know how someone can have a bunch of wives, some of whom are 13 years old, and call themselves Godly or religious. It just seems like institutionalized pedophilia and bigamy to me.

20. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Sounds like you were visited by the Ole Jehovah Witnesses. They have come to my door and one time I invited them in and I sat down with them to show them that the version of the Bible they read out of. "The New World Translation" is false! I too am a Christian, but Jehovah Witnesses have a slight different belief than some other denominations. They teach that Jesus is A God instead of the God. By the time those two left, they were converted in their hearts to go from Witnesses to Holy and non-denominational.