Rental Cars

Discussion in Travel started by BrandonScooterman • Jul 11, 2015.

1. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I recently rented a car and it set me back almost $150 for a one day 200km round trip.
    Is this high?
    How do you secure the lowest car rental rates?
    Does anyone have any "inside info" or other good tidbits?

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We usually rent cars when we are abroad but that is only when we have a plan of a whole day touring of the city otherwise we just take the cab or the bus. Over here, renting a car is very expensive. This weekend we are going on an overnight vacation and we had rented a van for $70 for one day excluding the gasoline and food of the driver. Aside, we have to provide the driver an accommodation since it is an overnight affair.

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    We always shop rental car prices in the same way we shop for airline tickets. All the major travel websites have "check the best rate" quote buttons, and you can always find out which agency has the best price on a given day in a given location.

$150 does sound steep for one day, round trip. But maybe it wasn't for the kind of car you rented and the area and the demand at that time. Rental cars fluctuate with demand, like anything else.

Many banks (mine anyway) and credit cards have incentives for rental cars, where you get points and extra discounts for going through them as your referral service to rent a car. We also do that to see if we can save more. And we never buy the insurance. If you have car insurance on your own vehicle, it covers rental cars, so the insurance offered at the counter is an unnecessary extra.

4. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on what type of rental card you rented and how long you rented it. If you rented an ordinary car for a drop off only, then that price is steep. If you rented a limousine for a drop off, that is a good price.

Renting a car is quite a good option than riding a cab. The drivers are clean and drive safer than cab drivers. So you get your money's worth.

5. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I think I got hosed on that deal then. I was a little younger and that price was my all in, including the gas I put in it.
    But it was the cheapest one they had.
    Now I have a benchmark to work from too thanks guys and gals!

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are so many deals out there and maybe the deal you had was based on mileage? Some offer deals that are more expensive but with unlimited mileage. You should always try to use affiliate sites if you have loyalty cards for airlines or hotels (free to join, even if you don't travel) as they always offer members deals and free points.

7. charliedavid

charliedavidNew Member

Threads:
    In my view he charged you very much. Mostly the trips are charged per kms or can even be charged as a half day trip or even full day also. Before booking a car or taxi you need to first compare the rates at different travel portals so that you can get some hint regarding the price. After comparing the different websites you can book as per your needs. Travels Manager is a gradually developing travel portal offering car rental and taxi hiring services. You can opt for it.

8. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it depends on which country you were in. On the surface it does look steep. If you were in a developing country and you still paid that much, well then you got ripped off.

The best trick is to check online for reviews first. Also, sometimes you can get promotional offers, but not always. I usually try to use services that would help me get a few extra frequent flyer miles. So, instead of saving on rental cars, you should look at that as an area. I bet you won't regret it.

9. roki123

roki123Active Member

Threads:
    I also looking fI also looking for a rented car to enjoy the long drive on famous route of CA "17-Mile Drive" So, guys if you have any sort of information about it then share with me and let me know how much expensive it can be?

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I think car rental rates vary depending on which company you are using. Definitely shop around for a deal or a coupon when renting a car. I would also advise taking the insurance on your rental. We rented an SUV this past summer in Vancouver and had it broken into. A window was smashed and my purse was stolen. Since we bought the insurance we didn't have to pay anything and we were able to return the rental vehicle for another one. My only beef is I wish the rental agency had warned us that Vancouver has a high rate of crime and smash a grabs are very common and to not leave anything in the vehicle. We also had the rental car towed while we were there. Again it would have been nice if they let us know that Vancouver tow trucks are like vultures and circle around looking for cars that park in the wrong spot. Your car towed within minutes. Apparently the tow truck drivers see you before you even exit your vehicle.