Renters Insurance

Discussion in Other Insurance Type started by ohheyguys • Aug 30, 2012.

1. ohheyguys

ohheyguysNew Member

Threads:
    I've always heard that it is vital for those who rent to go out and get renters insurance. Recently, a student of mind had their apartment burn down and thankfully she was covered by renters insurance. I have long been an advocate, but for some reason, never actually got around to getting it for myself. After calling my auto insurance provider to get a quote for prices I found that I'm actually SAVING money by adding it onto my policy. Basically, here is what happened:

I added Renters Insurance through my provider which will cost $10.45 a month. This triggers a "Multi-policy" discount through my provider which will save me $13.00/month off the two policies (auto and renters). So basically, by adding on renters insurance, I do not pay anything additional and my premium for auto goes down! It is always something worth checking out.

2. william22

william22New Member

Threads:
    Get renters insurance quotes from GEICO and learn that renters insurance can be as cheap as $12 a month.

3. mnicole

mnicoleMember

Threads:
    I have to have renters insurance where i live i just recently added it to my auto insurance policy at progressive which they gave me a multi policy discount but im not sure how much I'll be saving each month. I'm only paying $12 each month for it so it's not to bad.

4. shane002

shane002Banned

Threads:
    For less than a dollar a day State Farm renters insurance policy will cover all of your property at full replacement cost. Get your free insurance quote here.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It is always a good idea to get renters insurancebecause your landlord's policy will not cover your belongings. If you have any nice jewelry, you might also need to get what is called a rider policy. Be sure to discuss anything of higher value to make sure that it is covered. It is also a good idea to take photos of any valuable items you may have and keep a list of how much they are worth. Have your agent keep these photos and list with your policy records at their agency.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would like to add to the above post that anytime you purchase something of value to add it to the policy so that there are not any exclusions. The renters insurance only covers the contents of the renters resident, which can also cover items stolen from your vehicle. Check your policy to make sure it is covered.

7. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A friend of mine is a landlord, well, he rents a few rooms of his house out to cover his mortgage payments. One of his housemates go drunk and trashed the house. Thankfully he is insured and that covered the cost of the damage.

8. shane002

shane002Banned

Threads:
    Get renters insurance quotes from GEICO and learn that renters insurance can be as cheap as $12 a month.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The last time I checked into renter's insurance, my options were limited, because I'm in an area that was pretty much written off after Hurricane Ike. Prior to Ike, I would have been able to buy renter's insurance from pretty much any company who wrote policies in this region, but the situation changed, I guess because of all the payouts due to Ike. I wouldn't qualify for the multi-policy discount through my auto insurer (which I used to take advantage of), because that company doesn't do any type of renter's insurance here. I was referred to another company, but ended up just going with TWIA, which is the WindStorm coverage available here.

10. PunkinPie

PunkinPieMember

Threads:
    I am an independent insurance agent and we always find it is a money saver to add the renters insurance with certain carriers. You are technically getting the policy for free because sometimes the savings on your auto is more than the monthly premium of the renters insurance. Also I feel that the policy is worth having for the liability coverage alone. If someone comes to your house and slips and falls your policy would pay their medical bills. If your dog bites someone and they try and sue you your renters policy would help pay for lawyers fees. For $10 a month its more than worth it to have.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    That's definitely worth looking into, especially if you're able to get the multi-policy discounts like that.

I haven't swapped my renter's insurance over to my regular insurance policy yet because they wouldn't cover me in a different state the last time I checked.