Renting clothes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Gelsemium • Apr 2, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that renting clothes might be worth it for tuxedo or a dress, but what about for other pieces of clothing not so expensive, but seasonal for example. Has anyone ever rented them? What sort of clothes do you think would be worth to rent?

2. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I've never really gone through with the idea of renting clothes. It's not that I think I'm above doing so though. It's just that for me, I really like to own things and not feel that I'm being held to a time restraint for when to return a product or in this case a garment. I could see how renting a tuxedo or formal dress would be a good reason to try out a renting service though. I guess when it comes down to it, I can't see myself renting clothes but understand why some may. I say if there are people out there using these services, let them stick around for those people's benefit!

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I agree, some really expensive stuff like tuxedos or dresses it definitely worth because it's something that you use once or twice and that's it. But we also have seasonal clothing, especially for the snow, that is particularly expensive, or costumes for carnivals, that would be worth it too.

4. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Renting a tuxedo or a dress? No. We already own a tuxedo that we bough last year when attending a wedding. It wasn't cheap but at least now we have it when we need it. As for your question, the only thing we ever rented are costumes. We sometimes attend theme parties and we're in need of different disguises. As you can imagine buying different costumes is not cheap nor practical so we rent.

5. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I have rented a Tuxedo before. I rarely ever have need for anything formal so it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to own one. One of the advantages to renting is that you can rent something that is currently in style. I don't think the tux from my high school graduation would, for example, be in style still. I think if I were to attend formal events more that twice a year, then ownership would make sense.

I think men have it a bit easier as men's clothing doesn't change as drastically as women's. I look at bride's maids dresses and think that they will sit on a shelf after a wedding collecting dust as they are often a one use item.

6. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I have never rented clothes and wasn't even aware that you could rent clothing apart from suits. When I went to rent a suit once I thought I may as well buy one as I didn't have a suit at the time. I also had 4 suit events to attend that month so it seemed worth buying overall. I may rent shoes, but I buy pretty expensive ones anyway so they will be fine for pretty much all events.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most students when attending their graduation ceremony, opt to rent their graduation regalia rather than pay for it and use it only once.

If I find myself in similar situations where I need some special attire to wear and it [the attire] is 'rentable', then I would go ahead, rent the clothes and spare myself the need to pay full price for them if I have to wear them only on occasion.

#7Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I never rented them either, but I think if such stores existed that there would be a market. As for students Denis, I've seen quite a few as I work in a university and they have their outfits and the ones that don't, those don't even care to attend those ceremonies.

9. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I do think this can be worth it for expensive items. That being said, when my husband and I got married, he only wants a vest and pants (no tux jacket) and we already had his tie and shirt... It was actually only like $20 more dollars with coupons to keep the pants and vest. He has used the pants for work, as he is a teacher - so it worked out well. With coupons and deals, it may still make sense to purchase.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I agree with that, if we see that it's an item that we're going to use more and to afford it is within reach, sure, go for it an buy it. But if it's something wear once kind of thing like for example in a Carnival, there's really no point in buying that considering there are other options available.