Renting toys

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by amy005 • Jul 30, 2012.

1. amy005

amy005Active Member

Threads:
    Has anyone ever used any of these services? There were two that I know of, Toygaroo and Baby plays.com Toygaroo become too big too quick and had to shut down. But Babyplays is still around. I thought about trying it out. It is said to be like the "netflix" of baby toys. At first it sounds like an awful idea because babies have germs and they get on the toys, and then a ton of other babies play with those toys. But, the toys are sanitized before being sent and I believe also shrink wrapped. You can do a monthly plan, 4 toys for about 25 dollars. You can keep them for 60 days and then get more when you send those back. The toys probably range from 10-100 dollars each when bought new. Seems like a great concept since babys need constant simulation and tend to get sick of the same toys after a little while. This way you always have new toys for the baby without spending a ton of money. I was thinking of trying it but not sure if it is worth it..

2. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    That is actually really neat sounding and I have never heard of it before! I could imagine though, since my children are very hard on toys, that I would end up having to pay for replacements so it may not be worth it in the long run for kids like mine.

3. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    This is the first time that I heard about it but it could be something beneficial for us. As we all know, children get bored with toys easily. So having to buy different toys all the time can really take a lot from the family's budget. I actually have a budget set aside for it every month. My son gets bored with new toys after a day or two then they just get piled up in his toy chest. But do you think its really safe to use them? I'm still a bit worried because my son tends to chew up on toys. But I guess additional sanitizing once you received them will help, don't you think? So I would really love to research on this further. Thank you very much for the tip!

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is the first time that I've heard of this concept. I think that it's beneficial for parents who have kids that easily gets tired of playing the same toys over and over again, because it will save them the hassle of buying new ones every now and then. It's a good way to save money too.

5. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I saw something about this on the news. I don't think it was for either of the company's already mentioned. The $25 fee sounds pretty reasonable, but I'm not sure I would do it. My kids loose pieces to toys all the time. I can't imagine trying to keep track of rental toys.

6. Albertharris

AlbertharrisNew Member

Threads:
    We have a two ways to get a toy like a rental and purchasing toys. You should have a membership to take a rental toys. There are many toy stores which provide fresh rental toys with some condition. We are easily exchanged your toys to get a different toy. It's really good way to get your preferable toys in your budget.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As an eBay seller, I wouldn't subscribe to a toy rental service. A lot of toys are hot sellers on eBay like Fisher Price and Littlest Pet Shop. Some of the rare, discontinued Littlest Pet Shop toys sell on eBay for $80 each. I'd rather own my kids' toys outright and possibly resell them for profit someday than pay to rent used toys.
    You should see what some older Lego sets are selling for. There are people that buy Legos as an investment for their collector's value.

8. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I have never heard of this site. It sounds like a great idea. Children's interests change all the time. For a couple of weeks or just for a few days, kids will love a toy, and before you know it they lose interest and want something else. This sounds like an inexpensive way to always have new and interesting toys for your child to play with. I think this is also a great way to get an idea of how much your child likes a toy before deciding to buy it. I bought several toys for my baby that I thought she would enjoy and she never plays with them.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have heard of this and from what I have heard, it think it is fairly safe. They sanitize the toys properly and seal them before sending them to you, although, aside from their track record of either good or bad feedback, you probably would have no other means to know any further and pretty much will have to trust them, so there is an amount of risk but I am guessing if they are still in business then they must be doing something right.

10. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    I've heard of the toy rental, but I prefer my kids to own their toys. When they get tired of something, I simply put it away for a while, and when I get it back out they are just as interested as the first time, or even more so because they remember playing with it. I also try to get them things that can be used to create or use imaginatively - blocks, art materials, play food/house materials, etc. These keep interest over time, and when children have more exposure to these types of things they will develop longer and broader play schemes which is important for development. I think if I was renting toys that they wouldn't have those same opportunities. Plus the "ick" factor weirds me out.