Repair or Replace Old Appliances?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Sep 11, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Supposing your old fridge stops working, should you repair it or get yourself a new one. It may sound like a no-brainer but please note that old appliances tend to use more electricity so even if repairing may be cheaper, you lose out in the end because you'll be paying more for electricity. Money which you could have saved if you got yourself a newer energy-efficient appliance. .

Your thoughts? Is repairing old appliances at times bad for us?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    If we talk about repairing old appliances, the kind you mentioned - that eats electricity, I'm all about replacing. But if the broken appliances are new and energy efficient repairing is the best solution, and this in case the repair costs are reasonably lower than a new purchase. The thing is, a lot of people repair energy inefficient stuff because the time needed to recuperate the money invested in efficient appliances is spread over a long period of time - and people sure like instant gratification/results.

3. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    prettycolors hits the nail right on the head. Depending on the age of your product, it's often worthwhile from an energy consumption standpoint to just replace it. You would be surprised how much more electricity an old refrigerator will use than a new "Energy-Star" compliant model. The savings are actually visible on your monthly bills. The upfront cost may seem scary, but it'll pay for itself a lot quicker than you'd think.

4. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    This all really depends on the money factor. If I have the money to just replace it, I'll do that. If I'm short handed and it only costs $20 to fix, I'll go that route until I get the money to totally replace with new. Sometimes it could be the simplest thing to fix and not cost much to fix it.

5. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I have a tumble dryer that i have done nothing but have repaired since I bought it. Fortunately, we have an extended warranty so repairs are covered. I do sometimes wonder though if it would save me a lot of aggrevation just to get a new one because whenever it breaks down, I have to wait at least a week before it is repaires. I have four children and a lot of washing. Living in the UK, I cannot guarantee that the weather will be good enough to dry outside.