Repurposed Clothes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Zyni • Oct 30, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are so many great ways to repurpose clothing. Some of them are incredibly creative, and some are even pretty simple to do. There are no sew options as well, and you can use iron-on tape, or Fabric glue, or craft glue, instead of sewing if you like. I saw a really cute way to make an apron from a men's dress shirt (and I remember someone here asking about adult aprons). Simply cut from the corner of the arm pit up to the neck line, leaving the collar. Remove both sleeves and cut away all the fabric below the collar in the back. Trim or hem all the rough edges. Add ribbon (or use sleeve fabric) to the arm pit points so you can tie the apron in back.

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    That sounds really cute. I do not often repurpose clothing except to decide they are no longer for use outside the house, or are now yard work clothes/paint clothes. When things are too worn out to be worn I either throw it away or cut it up into rags depending on what the fabric is.

3. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I saw a great youtube video about how to make a cat or small dog bed from a used sweater. Suddenly I really regretted all the used sweaters with holes I had thrown away (small cosmetic holes not like giant ones). Anything I try to do that is in any way crafty doesn't tend to turn out well, though. So maybe it isn't such a bad thing I tossed them.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    These are really great ideas. I have clothes that have been eaten by termites. They are old and don't fit me anymore, so I might use them as you suggested. Thank you!

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I'm glad it is helpful for you, Chio.

I don't think you really have to be crafty to try things like this out, gypsy. If it's just a sweater you would throw out anyway then why not give it a try? The worst that can happen is that you do throw it out. Then, try again another time. You'll eventually make something good and that will make you smile. Just take your time.

I hear ya, Dancinglady. That used to be my extent as well, but there are so many cute ideas out there, and they give me more ideas. It's inspiring to try to do more.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen a few good ideas on Pinterest on how to turn t-shirts into dresses or men shirts remade into a skirt. I think people are too quick to throw things out when they can still be used for something else. Even rags.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's a fine idea and we do re-purpose clothing all the time, but never thought to make an apron with it. Thanks for the pattern for making an apron.

8. JaeRustia

JaeRustiaNew Member

Threads:
    I found this DIY's on how you can use old clothes again maybe you could use some ideas in

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've been wanting to experiment with fabric glue for a while now but unfortunately it's not sold in my area. I do know how to sew though so I mostly just use a portable sewing machine for when I have to fix up something quickly. At this point I have been able to turn some shorts into bags but to be completely honest I'm not that good with my hands so my projects don't usually turn out that clean and polished, but it's good enough to use at least.

10. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    That was a really nice tip there @Zyni@Zyni! :) There are really a lot of ways of repurposing old clothes which are just piling up in cabinets and taking up space. I love learning new ways of making unused clothes useful again so reading your OP was really a treat for me. I remember repurposing an old skirt that wouldn't fit me on the hips anymore.I made it into a tube just by sewing in a long piece of cut clothing at the bottom to serve as its adjustment, and making a lace on top using an old stocking. I actually loved the result.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Normally we just make rags out of old clothes since we don't have any use for them anymore, but I will keep in mind these tips since they might be handy later. Thanks for sharing!

12. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I repurpose things in any way possible to try and save some money, so these tips are definitely things I'd be willing to try. Some things I do to repurpose clothing:

I turn socks into dog toys - either tie them together as tug toys or put them inside one another (as one of my dogs as a thing about pulling things apart and it keeps him amused for hours!). I've also seen knee high socks turned into octopus toys for dogs as well although I've not tried that one myself as I don't have those sorts of socks to try it with.

I've turned old jeans and trousers generally into shorts when the legs were getting worn through, or turned the legs into draft excluders to put in front of the front and back door in the winter to help keep the heat in.

I've also turned old shirts into blankets by cutting out the design on them and sewing them together like a quilt, and turned some others into pillow or cushion covers to go with it.

13. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    This is food for thought. It's a good insight into what can be done with clothes which would have been otherwise thrown out. I have been familiar with the act of faded jeans being transformed into shorts, but now I am realizing that there could many more useful transformations.

14. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I also used to turn my old jeans into short pants or skirts before. You certainly gave me a great idea with the old shirts @cocolgooh@cocolgooh. Turning them into blankets and pillow covers are great ways of repurposing them instead of getting rid of them. I'm definitely going to try doing this one of these days once I get to search my closet again for unused clothes. :)

15. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    My two biggest uses are rags for washing the car and rags for cleaning glass and glasses. There are many other uses that I get from old clothes but these ones are the ones that immediately came to mind and the ones that I use the most. It really adds up when you consider the costs of these items.