Resell or donate?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by whnuien • May 11, 2014.

1. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I have always been donating all the books I have already read in the past but now I start thinking if I should resell them back in Amazon or eBay since I still have many left in my house.The only thing I dislike about selling them though is doing the shipping :D Do you prefer donating your old books or would you rather resell them for a cash?

2. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on a person and the demand for the books. If the books have some serious demand then you can opt to get some money in return by reselling them. But there are those that will not fetch a lot of money even if you resell them. In such a case then simply donate them to a good course.

3. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    As I have bought many books over the years, I really wish I could resell them all. :( But unless you're selling textbooks, the books are probably worth nothing. I am planning on a having a yard sale and trying to sell all of my books then. I've also been "re"selling my manga on eBay; I tried to resell my books on eBay, but seeing as freaking Goodwill sells books for a d*mn dollar, you can't really get anything for your books. >8( D*mn you Goodwill, get out of my eBay!

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I had many books I'd first evaluate their relative value. After that I'd look around the net and find out whether on places like half.com and see how much I"d make if at the very worst I sold the books for such prices. If what I'd make is not much I'd try to sell local even if it meant negotiating with a used book seller for 50-50 splitting of the proceeds.

If selling doesn't work or if it would take more time that would cost me more cash than I'd make trying to get those books sold, I'd simply donate them.

5. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    The only books that I've given away are my childhood books (like those picture books). I gave them away to my younger cousins. I still have all my chapter books and my most recent purchases. If no one wants the books I might sell them. Now that I think about it, I've actually donated a couple books to the library and I have a few that I want to donate still. ^.^'

6. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    Its hard around here to find the places to buy them. And I don't want to sell online because I would have to ship them, AND because they charge for having a 'store' whether people buy anything or not. I know E-Bay does, I don't know for sure about Amazon tho.

But places in person don't buy them anymore. Not really, just for store credit. So I just donate.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always either kept my books at my bookshelf or donated them. I never resold them because books are worth a penny nowadays, specially used ones. I like donating books because I always hope whoever gets it is able to enjoy reading. I wish people read more, specially now that books are "out of fashion" people read even less than before. I have donated some books to Children in Need last year and I really hope whoever got them read them!

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually donate my old books to the library or goodwill. I am not interested in paying shipping for the little amount of money you make on the sale. Text books sale for a good price and maybe worth the trouble of having to pay for shipping.

9. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    I'm keeping my books. They look nice in my bookshelf and (hopefully) one day my children and grandchildren will read them. But I keep only my favorite books, which I possibly will want to re-read and keep a physical copy of.

If my bookshelf runs of out free space, I donate some of my less favorite books to the local library. They're always happy about these donations. Selling them on Amazon or Ebay seems like such a chore (packaging would be a pain I assume) and used books are inexpensive, so not worth my time.

10. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends. If we are talking about books that are going to be used for school, I think I may just be willing to donate it to institutions supporting less fortunate children who are going to school. I'm sure donating some of my old books would help a lot. However, for leisure type of books such as novels or other bestsellers that I have, I prefer to actually sell them. I know for a fact that those who are reading it are doing it for entertainment as well, so I don't see why someone would get entertainment for free when it's not a necessity compared to education.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I think the book is popular like the Twilight series then I would resell it for sure. But if I think that the book will not earn me a substantial amount of money then I will just donate it, especially if they are not the expensive type of textbooks.

12. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I first would want to have them resold, but if it were hopeless, that I know that really is nobody is going to buy the book, then I would just simply donate it. Why would I tire myself if I know I would get nowhere selling my books. I would not also rather just stash them in my room.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You should research the value of the books first. Someone in my Facebook group sold an old, rare Joan Crawford book for $100. Someone else sold an old book of photographs of forests for $125.
    It doesn't take that long to search the titles on eBay or Amazon to make sure you're not discarding a potential gem.

14. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    The problem with listing certain things for sale on Amazon is their restrictions don't always fit in with what you want to get. The good thing about listing stuff online is that when it's a book that is out of print, there is always someone out there happy to buy it at a reasonable price. I no longer have books that are old enough to be considered obsolete that I want to get rid of them so I tend to keep my books. If I did decide to get rid of something though, I would probably just give it away. It's less hassle for me.

15. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've resold a good number of textbooks back onto Amazon but fiction paperback books typically don't sell as well unless they're recent releases and are best sellers. I've had books sitting on Amazon for years waiting to sell and finally just decided to forget it and donate them to a thrift store.

16. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Always recommend selling first before donating. Make whatever money you can and I'm sure you'll have plenty of books remaining that aren't worth selling and are better off donated.
    I know a donation is better on the conscience at first and clearly requires less overall work, but remember that your book may have sold for $10 on Amazon vs the $1 it will sell for at the Salvation Army. If you truly feel guilty, considering just making a small financial donation to a charity of your choice.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It would depend on whether or not I could get enough out of them by reselling them. If the book could be resold for a good amount that it was substantial enough to put a dent on my next book purchase then I would consider it a lot more, but here I can't really sell books for much so I usually just end up donating them because we do have a lot of people here who could use a bit more charity anyway and books are definitely one of the better items to give in my opinion since it gives people a chance to see further than their current state rather than just helping them along temporarily which of course is still fine and still very necessary but I think opportunities for for further help such as this are equally just as important.

18. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the past, where making money seemed like a chore to me, I had to resell all those books I didn't need anymore. Nowadays, though, I rarely throw away books. I donated a few novellas from my Sweet Valley and Nancy Drew collections but that's that. I'd rather stow away everything and put up a library. If I have more than two copies of the same story, I may donate the other one. My whole family has donated a bunch of textbooks, though, hoping that public school children in my country could benefit from them.

19. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I always donate all of the books that we no longer want to read to one of the very few Hospices here - as to be perfectly honest - apart from the fact that the small return that may or may not come from reselling - is highly unlikely to be enough to warrant all the extra effort or time required in trying to sell them - I would much rather they go to a good cause - where I know, not only are they appreciated - but importantly that they will bring pleasure to the people who read them.

20. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I was thinking this same thing today. But I was thinking about clothes though. I do not really have a lot of books. If I found any that I did not want, I would definitely donate them. I do not really know if anyone would buy those books. They are not in perfect condition either. I LOVE to write stories, so I am trying to sell my stories in places. That will probably be the only book selling I do, whenever it's something I made.