Restyling old clothes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by maddie • Feb 22, 2013.

1. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Having seen some very interesting way of restyling/ up cycling of old clothes I am curious to know how many of you here have tried that? How successful were you? would you try it again?

2. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    The only ones I did was to cut some pants (if I really don't like wearing them anymore) and then turn it into shorts. Another is to cut the sleeves of old shirts. But usually, I just give away my old clothes (especially the ones that don't fit anymore) to less fortunate ones.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I found a book on Amazon on how to restyle old t-shirts called Rip It and I think it's a fun and cheap way to make your t-shirts a little groovier. T shirts are really easy to get and they come into our lives from jobs, promotional events or as hand me downs. Some of them are huge 3X size shirts that are way too big, and what I learned from the book Rip It was how to cut, sew and embellish a huge t-shirt into a cute little dress or vest.
    You're not risking a lot because if your old t-shirt gets ruined, you probably have a few more lying around.

To make a little t-shirt vest, like this one from Pinterest, you don't have to be able to sew.

[​IMG]

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been interested in refashioning a few pieces also. When I go to the goodwill store I look for things that I may be able to make into something interesting. I have a shirt I purchase that is way to large for me that I hope to change into a shirt I saw at T.J.Max. It's not so much to save money as it is to see if I can do it.

5. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    DIY Fashion

The clothes that we use has a lifecycle ... up to us to find an alternative to change view and exploit the potential of that garment of that attire. Personal style is a brand that defines us and there are many people who enjoy using differently those clothes that has completed its cycle. In Internet and even in different TV shows we can find creative and innovative options. Helping the planet can also help to have a new image. So everybody wins. In times of crisis it is best to recycle your clothes creating fashion of old clothes. :eek:

6. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    This is one of my favorite topics, Maddie. I have a few projects in mind for upcycling old clothes and a huge bag of stuff to work with. I've used old pants to make hats before in a crafting class with young students. People have been turning old clothes into quilts for centuries. I've just seen a bunch of great ideas for upcycling clothing on Pinterest. There are some cute things being made from men's shirts from dresses to decor items.

7. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I always recycle my clothes like for example, I make t-shirts look new by placing a scarf through it for that belted look or cutting the sleeves. Another way I do them is to take them and place rips in them at the bottom also or a knott with a nice pin in it.

8. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Maddie, look at this upcycled dress I just saw on Pinterest. I'm not sure I would wear it, but I find it very interesting. Maybe something similar with different fabrics would be more wearable, but it is a neat way to reuse neckties.

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have seen several t-shirt remakes that I like on Pinterest this one has gathers on the side.

10. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I actually would wear something like that, but I'd choose plain jewel colours rather than patterns. It's very flattering, and I can buy silk effect ties new here for 1 - 2 Euro ($1.30 - $2.60). I would be prepared to go out and buy new ties to do this, because you'd have a one-off gown for a very reasonable price. Guess it's a trip to the market tomorrow. :D

11. zoeysmama2011

zoeysmama2011Active Member

Threads:
    I have restyled several of my t-shirts. My fiance works at a Pub and they constantly give him tons of T-shirts. Some I wear to bed, but most of them I cut the sleeves or the back of the shirt for a racerback shirt, for working out or just a casual summer shirt. It's not original at all but I also rip my own jeans and then cut them in the summer into skirts and shorts. I save a lot of money this way, as well.

12. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    Yes, I've been doing this ever since I was a teenager. I am obsessed with fashion, and I love to try new things just as long as they are classy. I have been fooling around with clothing for years, and now I have been interested in up cycling shoes, and jewelry. I have never read any books about how to create new things from old items but I think i will start. I've seen a snippet from the book Rip It, and it looks interesting. I may purchase the book.

13. emmy2points

emmy2pointsActive Member

Threads:
    I've never tried transforming my old clothes into something completely different, but it's always something I've been interested in trying out, and this thread offers great suggestions on how to go about doing that. The only thing I ever did was cut my pant legs because they were too long. Nowadays, I just bring my long or larger clothes to a professional for some alterations, although a bit pricey sometimes, because I know they won't do a hack job like I did. hahaha

14. Neelofar1334

Neelofar1334Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I do it with a lot of my clothing actually. It's called DIY (Do it Yourself). I've made my own clothes before and I've restyled/resized my old clothes. If a shirt is too big, I'll resize it. I've added patches and pins and fishnet onto jackets and jeans. I've taken logos off of band shirts and sewn them onto other pieces of clothing and other shirts. I've also painted band logos/designs onto leather jackets and patches. I like having the ability to have a unique sense of style and wardrobe, this summer I'm going to delve deeper into it and hopefully come up with some great things!

15. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Sandra I am so envious! I bought a couple pashminas when I was in Madrid, but I didn't really have a budget for any real shopping. I am going to have to plan a special trip just to buy shoes and other things. I had intended to buy yarn in Rioja, but when I went back to the shop they'd closed for the day.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's cute, although the model has kind of a grouchy sourpuss face. When I was 18, I had a couple of vests made of neckties, but I didn't make them ,I bought them on a visit to the Antique Boutique in New York, which is the place where they filmed the episode of Seinfeld with Kramer selling the boxes full of moth-infested raincoats and Mr. Costanza's cruisewear. Anyway, I remember that necktie vests were still in good condition when I donated them and I kind of wish I'd kept them because now I have a teenage daughter that loves funky vintage stuff.

17. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I kind of feel that way about some things as well, but it's necessary to let things go from time to time. I love vintage stuff as well and there are a lot of places here that specialize in vintage so every so often I find something really nice. I have a small collection of vintage dresses I've bought and some things that used to belong to my mom and my aunt.

18. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the dress is absolutely gorgeous. I'm not sure I could wear it. I'm a bit top heavy. LOL!

I have never been creative enough to repurpose clothes. I am very impressed by others who are able to do it.

19. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    That is inspirational! I love to make things last as long as possible.. i kind of tie-dye, batik dye or repaint clothes and use them for other purposes.. The kind of satisfaction it gives you is really immeasurable. I need to look up pinterest for more ideas.. It is so much fun to create wealth from junk.. :)

Here is a simple purse you could make from a skirt ...

buttercupbag.

#19Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  20. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    These are pretty cool ideas. I particularly like the old T-shirts into cute vests or the jeans into hats. I don't have much old clothes but my husband has many tshirts I can use to my advantage. Thanks for the suggestions and the links to more helpful sites! Great post