Restyling old clothes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by maddie • Feb 22, 2013.

1. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you don't have old clothes to refashion make a special trip to the second hand store to see what is available. You can find some really neat prints in some really ugly clothes. I go to the men section to look for oversize shirts that I can take apart and make into something cute. I want to make a pouf for my grand daughters room, she like color some I am gathering all kinds of shirts and skirts to take apart to make her pouf. Hopefully it will be completed this summer.

2. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    When I first started out I was creative, but my sewing skills weren't all that impressive. They still aren't perfect, but I don't let that stop me :)
    I think you could wear the dress with a few adjustments. I don't trust strapless bras so I'd probably want shoulder straps on my dress.

I like to play with dyeing patterns on fabric as well. I used to paint on clothing when I was younger; I have been learning about shibori techniques in recent years and experimenting those.

3. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    Same experience with you. It's the easiest way to upcycle old clothes, i think.:)

4. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only 'restyling' I have done is chopping up old T-shirts to use as a duster or as a strainer. Old clothes I don't want are taken to the charity shop. I wouldn't attempt to restyle my old clothes because I think I would look silly.

5. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Here is one cool dress from a man xxl shirt. [​IMG]

6. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:

I think I saw that one, Maddie. You would need a really big shirt, and a really little body, lol. I do plan to start looking around at the XXL shirts when I go to the thrift store in the future though. I think that even if one shirt weren't enough fabric, you could use two and then dye the finished dress. I have a really large seersucker house dress that I am going to restyle to wear to an event this spring.

7. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Channel, I don't think so.. I just tried this with my bro's xxx large shirt and my dress looks really cute. I just made myself a nice summer dress.. no sleeves and a nice wide neck.. I did not try anything fancy.. but it works.

8. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    The way of recycling our clothes is to pass it to our younger siblings or cousins or else give it to charity shop. I have never been a DIY when it comes to these clothing stuffs so we always pass it from one generation to the other. Recycling.

9. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Wow... I'm really envious of those of you with the fashion sense and skills to do things like this.

10. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Classicnyer, There isn't much to it.. you could start with simple pieces.. if you can sew it is quite easy.. I don't get into complicated stuff while I try my hand at up-cycling.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this idea of ripping out the seam of an old sweatshirt and putting in a little lace is adorable. You could also do this with an old t-shirt or have lace going down the side of your jeans if you have attractive legs and thighs and don't mind showing a few cubic inches of skin.

[​IMG]

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love it and she's wearing the hell out of it. You can also make dresses for little girls from a man's shirt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I usually add a pattern to plain white or black shirts. I also like to cut up the sleeves and the neckline to transform the shirt. It's a great project for when you are bored. You can also tell people how you made a shirt and maybe they will love it enough to want to buy the same thing!
    Such a wonderful idea it is to restyle old things that you don't wear!

14. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    I usually get like the real old and good levis pants that they used to make a long time ago from the thrift store. And I make shorts or bedazzle the pants. Then i sligthly razor cut the pockets or I will bleach them to get the acid wash look.

15. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    This is such a cute idea! I always find big sweaters and just feel frumpy in them, but this lace will take a "home" sweater to a brunch sweater! I love this so much! I finally brought my sewing machine out of storage so I am ready to use it soon. Thanks for this cute idea!

16. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    One way I recycle the t-shirts is to put studs on them and tie them at the bottom. I have a stud machine for crafts and I use it to do the decorations of holidays. Like I do xmas trees and wreaths for Xmas and bunnies for Easter. I make hearts for Valentines Day and you can make all sorts of themes.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have some pumps or flats that look a little scuffed but are still wearable, you could bust out the Mod Podge and decoupage those bad boys.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#37Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  18. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, yes. I could spend hours on pinterest looking at all the crafty projects that they have. It is just so amazing how people turn something old and ugly into something stylish and brand new looking.
    I have been saving some new projects in my folder as well. It is just so hard to choose what to make first!