Retro Duo NES/SNES Console

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by AresBlade • Sep 15, 2014.

1. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    Has anyone ever used the Retro Duo or another similar after-market console that allows you to play your old NES/SNES cartridges? For several years we've all turned to emulators, and that's great, but I've got a load of old gaming carts in storage and I like the fact that this type of system allows you to use the legitimate controllers. Any feedback?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    The reviews are pretty good and the price is not that bad, you could give it a shot. Personally I play most of my retro games on the original consoles. I grabbed a few quite cheap from the flea market (Megadrive/NES/SNES) and in great working condition - you could do the same and buy a few consoles from ebay or similar. Because let's face it, nothing comes even close to holding that original NES controller in your hands ;)

3. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I have most of the systems, but after such a long shelf life they're getting pretty sketchy. I love that I can plug the regular SNES controller into the Retro Duo. It's a shame you can't do it with NES like you say.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never played the NES or SNES. I realize those are classic Nintendo consoles. I just never played much Nintendo back then. I didn't grow up with it. I grew up with SEGA and Namco. So, I might have a bit of a bias to those companies.

5. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I think you'd quite enjoy the NES and SNES now that you're older. I used to have a reverse grudge from what you describe, but as I've grown up I can look past loyalty and find the fun and innovation in all the consoles. You're really limiting yourself otherwise.

6. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    If talking about retro gaming I think the Retron 5 is best. It can play GBA, NES, SNES, and Genesis games. I think it also works with HD TVs and can process games to look better. I don't remember the price but it's not very expensive. However, like other such hardwares not all games will work since it runs on emulation.

7. AresBlade

AresBladeActive Member

Threads:
    I looked into the Retron boxes (specifically the retron 3 at the time), and found that the reviews spoke to a lot of lag coming from it. I'd rather have a machine that does less but better than more at a mediocre rate. Have you used the Retron?